KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok guys, let's get my potential system thread back on topic. The Alysvox isn't on my audition list anyways.

I think all people on this forum who cannot afford a big horn in a big space or the apogee grands or Mike's room should buy a tannoy. And for those budget and room constrained, like you, me, bad boys of Boston, it is a slam dunk. It is agnostic of music genre, as the music repertoire will decide the amp to be paired up with the tannoy, not the speaker itself

Reactions: sujay

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think all people on this forum who cannot afford a big horn in a big space or the apogee grands or Mike's room should buy a tannoy. And for those budget and room constrained, like you, me, bad boys of Boston, it is a slam dunk. It is agnostic of music genre, as the music repertoire will decide the amp to be paired up with the tannoy, not the speaker itself

Wow you are so cocksure what other people need it's staggering. I am sure a Tannoy is a competent performer that can satisfy in many ways, but when I look at the cabinet construction I doubt it can do one thing that I have come to find very important. So much for satisfying everyone's needs.

I may be wrong in my assumption of course.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow you are so cocksure what other people need it's staggering. I am sure a Tannoy is a competent performer that can satisfy in many ways, but when I look at the cabinet construction I doubt it can do one thing that I have come to find very important. So much for satisfying everyone's needs.

I may be wrong in my assumption of course.

Actually you are right. And quite perceptive. So the cabinets have to be done new - the stock is not recommended

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, go listen to the Ubiq Model 1 and please report ;)

I have heard this many times. A local audiophile in London has it with the analog domain integrated. He thinks when teamed up with my Lampi it is the best system he has heard and destroys his esoteric k01. I am not a fan of the speakers though.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Why? I want to know what you think about their sound. It's good to read different opinions to form a better outlook. I've heard things you've heard, so that helps, too. I guess you can PM me... I just thought maybe some info on them might make Keith interested since he has been describing them a fair bit.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why? I want to know what you think about their sound. It's good to read different opinions to form a better outlook. I've heard things you've heard, so that helps, too. I guess you can PM me... I just thought maybe some info on them might make Keith interested since he has been describing them a fair bit.

I heard it with only one amp. I do not know if the sound will change based on the amp. They are like any clean sounding speaker. However I do not find their tone natural. They do not have any special bass or decay or jump factor. They are very different from my choices of horns and tannoys, followed by Apogees and stats, or devore orangutans (among smaller speakers). Or YG or Zellaton in cones. In cones I like the B&W 802 D3 series too. Not as good as I like the other speakers listed above, but if I was a cone junkie that wanted a normally distributed speaker like Wilson, Magico, Focal, etc, it is the B&W 802 D3 that I would get.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have never heard the Alsyvox. However, based on the design, I would be very surprised if I did not like it a lot.

Reactions: bonzo75

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You mean only if it is a Vintage driver with modded crossovers? The commercially available current models I have heard do not inspire...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You mean only if it is a Vintage driver with modded crossovers? The commercially available current models I have heard do not inspire...

Agreed

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I heard it with only one amp. I do not know if the sound will change based on the amp. They are like any clean sounding speaker. However I do not find their tone natural. They do not have any special bass or decay or jump factor. They are very different from my choices of horns and tannoys, followed by Apogees and stats, or devore orangutans (among smaller speakers). Or YG or Zellaton in cones. In cones I like the B&W 802 D3 series too. Not as good as I like the other speakers listed above, but if I was a cone junkie that wanted a normally distributed speaker like Wilson, Magico, Focal, etc, it is the B&W 802 D3 that I would get.
What amp? Tone and naturalness are often destroyed by the electronics.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have never heard the Alsyvox. However, based on the design, I would be very surprised if I did not like it a lot.
I am pretty sure you would Ron. One of the very best planar speakers I have heard...and I have heard (and owned) a lot of them.

Reactions: christoph

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ok guys, let's get my potential system thread back on topic. The Alysvox isn't on my audition list anyways.
Ok, but since you have like months between auditions, we can either digress from the OP or we can just let the thread lie fallow for a while...I am waiting to hear what you think of the Cessaros but that won't be for a while. Maybe you should go on a Ked style tour in the mean time?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What amp? Tone and naturalness are often destroyed by the electronics.

I said in my earlier post. Analog domain. It is a very fast clean sounding neutral SS amp similar to spectral.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, but since you have like months between auditions, we can either digress from the OP or we can just let the thread lie fallow for a while...I am waiting to hear what you think of the Cessaros but that won't be for a while. Maybe you should go on a Ked style tour in the mean time?

That will also take months, though I can sell tickets to the best places to help audition (Kind of like a tour guide. Thomas cook of audio). That will speed up the process.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I said in my earlier post. Analog domain. It is a very fast clean sounding neutral SS amp similar to spectral.
That could have a lot to do with your impression of the speaker.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That could have a lot to do with your impression of the speaker.

Possible which is why I qualified I only heard it with one amp

gwalt

Jan 4, 2019

As I mentioned in the Alsyvox forum as a new member I feel these speakers should be on anyone's audition list that has an interest in great sound and the space/budget to accommodate them. I have been in audio for 40 years and these speakers have an ability to see into the sound stage like no other I have heard and I have heard a lot.
Last night on some good recordings the noise floor was so low I felt the acoustics of the recording venue.....the miking, depth of the hall, and all. What they have is air, decay, speed, microdynamics and resolution that many speakers simply cannot compare due to design and colorations.
Before my purchase, my interest in audio had peaked and was on a severe decline......as in no emotion. These have changed that in spades. I am now trying some smallish changes as in cables etc. to see how changes exist and whether it is cost effective. I have not had time to fully experiment yet but more on the way.
I await Drk to get his setup to confirm my findings. I also now have one gentleman coming from GA. in two weeks and another soon from Chicago also to offer further discovery.
I won't be a large contributor on these forums for the very reason I stated on my first drawing and after reading further I certainly have not changed my mind. I also will reiterate that I am fully aware that gear is a self-made proficiency and to each his own.
I wished there were more ways to experience these but if you like emotional involvement in your music you owe it to yourself to audition these. Further questions can be directed to me individually and I will offer what I know thus far.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing