KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, my Zus are a totally different animal in the new space which really allows them to breathe.

My advice would be to really investigate all methods to ameliorate your acoustics shortfall before you throw the baby out w the bathwater.

Reactions: DaveC

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Keith, my Zus are a totally different animal in the new space which really allows them to breathe.

My advice would be to really investigate all methods to ameliorate your acoustics shortfall before you throw the baby out w the bathwater.

Isn't Keith planning to move? He may not be interested in sorting out his room acoustics at his present location. I think this speaker search is for longer term and with a new and different room. I could be wrong, but I think I read this upthread.

Reactions: KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, transparency comes from simple crossovers and simple circuits. Devore orangutans with SETs like NAF 2a3 or airtight 300b as well as various other SETs are way more transparent to recordings than Magico, Wilson, Lansche, which try to have more inert cabinets. Very easy to hear should one try. Maybe that explains why Caelin moved from Sasha to Devore 5 years ago and is happy

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Even if later you decided you wanted other speakers, taking care of your room acoustics will benefit those speakers as well.

Agree- and I have always been a room treatment fan and use GIK art panels behind my seating area. The current room eats 65-100hz bass, not the opposite. I had a room acoustics guy out to confirm this when I moved in. His solution was my Zu active bass x'd over to 110hz, but I found the disparity of drivers distracting/not-coherent so ultimately settled on 65-70hz after a few hours of play.

Funny enough, my Zu friend preferred a huge hole from 50-100hz vs a higher active crossover point - just goes to show how ears are different

Reactions: Al M.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Ked, Keith was considering Devore to Rockport. Maybe you have a message for him.

Btw, congrats on picking up why Zu are so special. No crossover to speak of, just a single cap and resistor. Other than total straightwire designs like the Pnoes, it doesn't get simpler than Zu. High efficiency, steady and easy impedance, no energy sapping crossover. Good to know you're a fan LOL.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Actually, transparency comes from simple crossovers and simple circuits. Devore orangutans with SETs like NAF 2a3 or airtight 300b as well as various other SETs are way more transparent to recordings than Magico, Wilson, Lansche, which try to have more inert cabinets. Very easy to hear should one try. Maybe that explains why Caelin moved from Sasha to Devore 5 years ago and is happy

Magico not transparent? Now that's funny.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Magico not transparent? Now that's funny.

Yes, I have tried various phonos, carts, and recordings through many Magico systems. Differences are very small. Think it is the driver, cross over, or a combo of them with the complex circuitry in the path. Same with Wilson and many others. Avalon can be made good in terms of transparency in cones. I am saying in terms of transparency of recordings to Devore orangutans. Other attributes may vary

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, Ked will deliberately get to more Magico demos to confirm his declaration. I don't know many who would do that. Indeed anybody.

It's like wanting to leave yourself to medical science...while you're still alive LOL. I mean if you don't rate Wilson and Magico, why go listen to them multiple times? And why would you think any owner of said brands would take well to having them dissed. I'm sure every Magico owner is really chilled to hear a brand they've invested serious money into doesn't compare to Devore.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, Ked will deliberately get to more Magico demos to confirm his declaration. I don't know many who would do that. Indeed anybody.

It's like wanting to leave yourself to medical science...while you're still alive LOL. I mean if you don't rate Wilson and Magico, why go listen to them multiple times? And why would you think any owner of said brands would take well to having them dissed. I'm sure every Magico owner is really chilled to hear a brand they've invested serious money into doesn't compare to Devore.

I don't own Magico speakers nor do I aspire to own them, so I don't have a skin in the game. I'm just reporting what my ears tell me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't own Magico speakers nor do I aspire to own them, so I don't have a skin in the game. I'm just reporting what my ears tell me.

I don't own them, nor will. Same with devore

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why declare something if you haven't confirmed it yet?

Now you are taking it personally. Better to go listen to Devore and confirm, for you? You will hear they are more transparent to recordings than your speaker.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I didn't diss them, I said they weren't transparent to recordings. That's not on the top of most people's list. Of course owners want their stuff to be tops in everything

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, why wouldn't you buy Devore? They evidently speak to you, are manageable both domestically and financially. You've been nothing other than complimentary about them. Anyone else would be signing the cheque.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, why wouldn't you buy Devore? They evidently speak to you, are manageable both domestically and financially. You've been nothing other than complimentary about them. Anyone else would be signing the cheque.

Because I find modded tannoy better - though a bit colored compared to Devore, though still shows differences in recordings. Does other stuff well and goes back to the wall

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Now you are taking it personally. Better to go listen to Devore and confirm, for you? You will hear they are more transparent to recordings than your speaker.

I'm not taking anything personally, Ked. Marc mentioned that you were planning to confirm something you have already declared. I'm simply wondering why someone or anyone would ever declare something that he hasn't confirmed yet. Of course, people are often wrong, or they can change their minds. That is different. I've been wrong and changed my mind many times. And we all make our choices, which are ours to make. No need for you to agree with them.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, that was a little sarcastic dig in that Ked has already had enough experiences to realise Magico is not for him, but he's happy to demo further and confirm further.

Me? If I heard a component that failed to connect w me a maximum of two times, I'd conclude life was too short to try it a third time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Peter, that was a little sarcastic dig in that Ked has already had enough experiences to realise Magico is not for him, but he's happy to demo further and confirm further.

Magico and Wilson are the best marketed and most popular speakers. So it is easier to get some experiences across familiar gear with them to understand people's reference points due to their wide availability. While I like horns, they are too bespoke and things not always consistent across different horns. I don't go to these rooms to try the speaker, but other gear.

Anyway, I brought up these to counter Al's points that just because a speaker is inert it can be more transparent. The cabinets of these speakers are way more inert than Devore, am sure. But their crossovers, drivers, and the circuitry in the signal path used with these speakers as opposed to Devores, will be playing an important role in that transparency, or lack thereof

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Anyway, I brought up these to counter Al's points that just because a speaker is inert it can be more transparent.

*Can* is the keyword here. It is a necessary but not sufficient condition.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing