KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I had the big multi-way Infinity IRS Betas . . .

Hello Brad,

I did not know you had infinity Betas! What did you used to drive those speakers?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Carmel 2 must not be in the 'dual coherent' class of YG then. Haha.

Sure, according to morricab and you then, they're not. According to Yoav Geva, they are. I know who I trust more, as far as engineering knowledge.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sure, according to morricab and you then, they're not. According to Yoav Geva, they are. I know who I trust more, as far as engineering knowledge.
Not according to me... according to JA from stereophile, an independent measurement...I never take claims from manufacturers at face value ...nor should you.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Not according to me... according to JA from stereophile, an independent measurement...I never take claims from manufacturers at face value ...nor should you.

Nowhere does JA make the claim that YOU did.
Here's his conclusion:

"Overall, the YGA Carmel 2's measured performance indicates impressive engineering, both in the overall system design and in the proprietary drive-units. That quasi-anechoic response is one of the flattest I have ever measured, rivaled only by YGA's Sonja 1.3 and KEF's Blade Two. But choosing the optimal low-frequency alignment for a relatively small two-way design is always tricky. The Carmel 2 maximizes low-frequency transparency and articulation at the expense of body to its sound.—John Atkinson"

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello Brad,

I did not know you had infinity Betas! What did you used to drive those speakers?
Indeed I did. I had aGolden Tube Audio 100 watt PP EL34 based amp in the panels and Moon W5 on the bass.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here's his conclusion:

"Overall, the YGA Carmel 2's measured performance indicates impressive engineering, both in the overall system design and in the proprietary drive-units. That quasi-anechoic response is one of the flattest I have ever measured, rivaled only by YGA's Sonja 1.3 and KEF's Blade Two. But choosing the optimal low-frequency alignment for a relatively small two-way design is always tricky. The Carmel 2 maximizes low-frequency transparency and articulation at the expense of body to its sound.—John Atkinson"
Did you look at the step response? It cannot be time coherent with that step response. That test tells all about time coherence. It should look like a right triangle. Go look at Thiel or Vandersteen if you want to see time coherent...

It is quite a flat response though no doubt...at least that part of the claim is true.

Reactions: bazelio

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here's his conclusion:

Further evidence: Look at the plot of impedance and phase. Right around the crossover there is a phase shift from nearly +45 degrees to about -45 degrees. Then look at the individual driver plots. The crossover point is -6db and the slope is much steeper than you would get for a 1st order xover. All of this indicates a non-first order crossover...something that is necessary for time coherence.

Reactions: bazelio

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Guys, you are arguing past each other. I've asked Yoav in person about this - phase is maintained only through the crossover region. His "dualcoherent" secret sauce is related to this and never claims to be a fully time and phase coherent loudspeaker from 20hz-20khz.

Speaking of, I don't like Thiels (bright) or Vandys (sleepy) so its not critical to my decision point. My Devores aren't this way either of course as we discussed above.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Guys, you are arguing past each other. I've asked Yoav in person about this - phase is maintained only through the crossover region. His "dualcoherent" secret sauce is related to this and never claims to be a fully time and phase coherent loudspeaker from 20hz-20khz.

Speaking of, I don't like Thiels (bright) or Vandys (sleepy) so its not critical to my decision point. My Devores aren't this way either of course as we discussed above.

The crossover region is where it matters anyway. The only thing truly phase, transient, and time coherent was the insturment/voice itself.

Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The crossover region is where it matters anyway. The only thing truly phase, transient, and time coherent was the insturment/voice itself.

In the xo region and within a certain frequency range... I'd also agree there is no speaker that's going to get it all perfect but imo it doesn't really matter.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Crossover is the main variable. Impulse response of the drivers is also a factor in the relative wave timing as well, though.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Fountain Valley, California

Hi Keith,
Sorry, if this was already discussed earlier but I believe you owned Zu Definition mk4 for good period of time? I'm curious what happened because if properly matched with the right system that is a great speaker that has very few weaknesses from what I've read online. For me I'm not an active bass guy as I own and prefer the signature of Soul Supreme but as Marc's testimonials have shown and others online who have own Def 4 have mostly raved about them.

Just very curious what went wrong with Zu or did you just got bored and wanted change of speaker due to big changes with main system?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I simply preferred the Devore Gibbon X to my Definition IV, and traded them in for a pair. I like the more modern sound, although will always enjoy Zu and Sean Casey is a personal friend. In fact, 213Cobra's long awaited Druid VI review is coming out soon and I can't wait to hear them again in an optimized system (he's tried 8 amps now).

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, Phil informs me he has a ton of info and opinions to convey.

He promises to post here as well as AGon.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
I simply preferred the Devore Gibbon X to my Definition IV, and traded them in for a pair. I like the more modern sound, although will always enjoy Zu and Sean Casey is a personal friend. In fact, 213Cobra's long awaited Druid VI review is coming out soon and I can't wait to hear them again in an optimized system (he's tried 8 amps now).

Keith,

Thanks for the update. I think 'modern' sound is kind of subjective here. Yes, I fully agree that there are a lot of speakers with supertweeters that go much higher then the current Zu offerings but how much is too much and can we even hear this far up ?

Some very respectable open baffle speakers such as the PureAudioProject uses full range single drivers like Tang Band or Lowther that tries to do everything. I think Sean's approach is best balance or tradeoffs in terms of tonal balance and detail by employing a great wide ( or full range according to Zu) range driver that goes up to 10-12khz region then bring in superb Radian 850 for the rest. Of course, being simple first order this Radian is contributing a great deal to the midrange as well, hence why I like this approach so much. Those pure full range single drivers like Tang Band and Lowthers relies on one driver for everything here and the tradeoffs is more compromised for me.

Regarding Devore, I auditioned the O/96 as I heard great things about it and was not impressed especially at that price. The tonal balance of Supreme is much better to my ears and the Radian is just sublime.

Just in terms of treble /tweeter performance, I've owned in the past or have listened to speakers with very detailed treble and high quality tweeters and for me the Radian 850 is a perfect choice for Zu and what Sean is trying to achieve with his sound signature. I've tested the Soul Supreme with so many diffferent musical genres and I've never felt the treble lacking in any way, at least for me. I believe the Radian 850 is one of the most beautiful tweeter/midrange drivers in the world when properly matched to right equipment. This was evident before and even more solidified now with all Thomas Mayer in my amplification chain.

With the mods and tweaks that Sean did to the full range driver and Radian 850, I believe the new Druid MK6 would be an excellent choice for those that feel the current Soul Supreme or Druid mk5 or Def 4 is a bit lacking in the treble. I for one am not in this camp at all but I will consider jumping to the Soul Supreme MK2 with these new tweaks if or when Sean ever comes out with one.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, what amp was your O96 demoed with, and were they far away from the wall

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Bonzo75,

Line Magnetic dealer and yes the speakers were pretty far out into the room. It was an audition by appointment so everything was setup to fully optimize the speaker and amps. I heard the LM 211 and 300B offerings. I can see why some really like the Devore O/96 as it has some good attributes especially when paired with a great SET chain but I just think dollar for dollar, the Soul Supreme is much better speaker. The tonal balance especially the critical midrange and tweeter is far to my liking on the Soul Supreme. Just my humble opinion of course.

Reactions: bonzo75

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith,

Thanks for the update. I think 'modern' sound is kind of subjective here. Yes, I fully agree that there are a lot of speakers with supertweeters that go much higher then the current Zu offerings but how much is too much and can we even hear this far up ?

Regarding Devore, I auditioned the O/96 as I heard great things about it and was not impressed especially at that price. The tonal balance of Supreme is much better to my ears and the Radian is just sublime.

That's fine, I'm glad you are happy with Zu. I prefer the Gibbons to the Os and the tonality, refinement, and soundstage of the Gibbon Xs to my prior speakers. I enjoyed the Definition dynamics and sealed bass more, but you have to make your choices (and my speakers are still quite dynamic as my speaker writeups in this thread show). Perhaps the rumored Definition V will change all of that - i think both John Devore and Sean Casey are tremendous designers who go against the grain. They also are very accessible.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Keith,

I'm happy that you found something that you like. I truly believe believe there is no such thing as perfect speaker; one has to just find something that sacrifices the least on qualities that they cherish the most. For me right now , no question its the Zu experience and Soul Supreme in particular. For others, I'm sure it could be open baffles or horns or field coil drivers, etc. Yes, Sean Casey is an awesome guy and his amazing customer service is one of main reasons I'm so happy with Zu and will be sticking around for awhile.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Sean Casey is an awesome guy and his amazing customer service is one of main reasons I'm so happy with Zu . . .

From even my one brief in-person encounter with Sean it is clear to me that he is not a “what does the warranty say” kind of guy. He is without doubt a “what can I do to make you completely happy” kind of guy.

Reactions: SETDrugs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing