KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Keith,
Wow. 34 pages of suggestions and recommendations, you must be going crazy. I'll add my (unpopular) 2 cents then. I have yet to hear any horn speaker that was satisfying and moreover, a true full range speaker. Some impressive midrange horn speakers are out there but that does not a speaker make, at least for me. The AXPONA show hardly convinced me otherwise. I thought the Avantgarde's I heard were horrible, and same was true for all other horns heard at the show. (Frankly, I've heard Klipsch La Scalas sound better than anything at the show). But as you know, this is clearly a case of vanila, chocolate strawberry. "You pays yer money and takes yer choice" holds just as true today as when I heard Paul Heath first say it 40 years ago. . For 50K, there are a number of speakers out there that are attractive. I've never been a fan of YG, but the Hailey 2.2 was very impressive at AXPONA in a small room. Wilson Alexias are also in that price range, as are the Magico S5 MKII, another fine speaker descended from the "new" Magico sound of the M-Pro's (versus their original "fry your ears on their tweeters" sound of earlier models). If you have the room, there are even a number of Wilson Alexandria S2's out there in the LA area that can now be had comfortably under 50K. Good luck and have fun.
Marty
Which amps on the Avantgardes?

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I've just had trouble scoring a well setup horn demo... the Long Beach show is in 6 weeks and may have something...

Swing by Room 519 if you get a chance. We'll be showing a system built around waveguide-style horns (though it won't be a full-range horn system). No promises that we will have achieved that elusive "well setup" status on day one of the show, but by the end of day three, we hope to be pretty close.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
H

I was actually not impressed with the Avaton and thought the Anima a much better sorted out product.

I disagree fully. That’s what makes this a totally subjective hobby.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It appears Tuneaudio will be showing with Wavac at the Long Beach show - no idea what model will be used. But hey, its a horn?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I disagree fully. That’s what makes this a totally subjective hobby.
Subjective, sure many things in life are subjective...but is it relative? After all, you and I can probably both agree when we here something is live without actually seeing it (like a band in a bar as you are coming down the street) but we may not agree on liking the sound quality.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Subjective, sure many things in life are subjective...but is it relative? After all, you and I can probably both agree when we here something is live without actually seeing it (like a band in a bar as you are coming down the street) but we may not agree on liking the sound quality.

Brad- while you are in SoCal, you might check out Deja Vu Audio in La Jolla. They have their own line of vintage horns with modern compression drivers. Honestly, my favorite dealers are Alma Audio and Audio Element, but not sure the stuff you like. Although it would behoove you to check out Alma's massive (and well treated) room! Its really fun and you won't see that in Europe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Deja Vu moved out of La Jolla, like we did, and also moved to the same area we did. Good thing they have different gear than we do, as the sure like to follow our steps :)

Reactions: bazelio and KeithR

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sorry but I do not recall the amps. Of course the Zero's have all built-in amps but I presume that's not the model you meant.
No but even the zeros are available half active. You heard the zeros then?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Horn update!

As of 2 months ago, Tune Audio is being distributed in the US from Los Angeles and will be demonstrating the (incoming) Anima at Long Beach, followed by a permanent home in their studio.

So in another 6 weeks the long-overdue horn journey will occur.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I'd be really curious to hear what you think about the Animas.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I believe the AG Trio XDs were on Esoteric Class A SS:

Not sure about the Duo Mezzos that were there - presumably Esoteric as well.
I heard many years ago in Munich Duo Mezzos with Esoteric SS...disastrous. With like 109db sensitivity they reveal all the flaws of SS high frequencies. Animas in Munich with Modwright SS was a bit better than that but still not great. Good tubes are a must, IMO. Avantgarde’s own SS amp is not a solution to the issue...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Horn update!

As of 2 months ago, Tune Audio is being distributed in the US from Los Angeles and will be demonstrating the (incoming) Anima at Long Beach, followed by a permanent home in their studio.

So in another 6 weeks the long-overdue horn journey will occur.

So audiogen has wavac, Anima, verity and the devores? Nice.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I agree.

Why do the gentlemen who prefer the sound of the Anima over the the sound of the Avaton think Manolis prefers the sound of the Avaton to the sound of the Anima?

Brad?

Christoph?

Kedar?

(I am not snooty-snogging here. I believe Manolis prefers the Avaton, so I’m just really curious to get your theory as to what you are hearing different from what he is hearing.)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I agree.

Why do the gentlemen who prefer the sound of the Anima over the the sound of the Avaton think Manolis prefers the sound of the Avaton to the sound of the Anima?

Brad?

Christoph?

Kedar?

(I am not snooty-snogging here. I believe Manolis prefers the Avaton, so I’m just really curious to get your theory as to what you are hearing different from what he is hearing.)

Hi Ron

I spoke for myself when I said I liked the Animas driven by Trafomagic (in Munich) and that I didn't like the Avatons at all (heard them twice in Munich)
I guess Manolis is from Tune Audio? I didn't know that until now. So I can definitely not have made a comment in that direction.

My comments are about what I personally hear or heard ;)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Ron

I spoke for myself when I said I liked the Animas driven by Trafomagic (in Munich) and that I didn't like the Avatons at all (heard them twice in Munich)
I guess Manolis is from Tune Audio? I didn't know that until now. So I can definitely not have made a comment in that direction.

My comments are about what I personally hear or heard ;)

Manolis is the designer. He is usually in the room

The Avaton was not sounding good on one day and sounding good on the next

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
MIke of Arion audio will be exhibiting the Apollo System at The Home Entertainment Show being held in Long Beach California this June 7, 8 & 9. Along with the Apollo System he will have new monitor speaker system on display. It is based on his Apollo technology.

He now has in house two pair of low power tube amps. One pair is based on the 45 tube which puts out 2.5 watts and the other pair is based on the 2A3 tube which puts out about 3.5 watts. They both power the Apollo speakers beautifully to loud levels. It has been challenging to convince people of his achievements with high sensitivity.

If you live in LA area looking for high efficiency speakers, then this one will be good with 105db/W.

I could confirm that high no from my experience of auditioning his speaker with 8W 300B SET amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
MIke of Arion audio will be exhibiting the Apollo System at The Home Entertainment Show being held in Long Beach California this June 7, 8 & 9. Along with the Apollo System we will have our new monitor speaker system on display. It is based on our Apollo technology.

He now has in house two pair of low power tube amps. One pair is based on the 45 tube which puts out 2.5 watts and the other pair is based on the 2A3 tube which puts out about 3.5 watts. They both power the Apollo speakers beautifully to loud levels. It has been challenging to convince people of his achievements with high sensitivity.

If you live in LA area looking for high efficiency speakers, then this one will be good with 105db/W.

I could confirm that high no from my experience of auditioning his speaker with 8W 300B SET amp.

Are these ribbons, by the Mike who is analysis audio distributor? And he still is in South Carolina right?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing