KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
and of the 8 people I was touring with yesterday afternoon at its peak (so great to see a lot of friends and family in the spirit of music), all 8 preferred the Altecs to the Tunes.
Doesn’t surprise me. They can sound great and there is a reason the old VOTT speakers are legends. They also have bass and integration closer to box guys expectations...the Tunes may also not be well setup...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Could one of you folks who attended compare and contrast the Stenheim with YG? I can't find any information about the Stenheim drivers on the website (i.e. no mention of them being an in-house design). But the MSRP of the Alumine Five seems to be in the $85k USD ballpark. The aluminum cabinet is obviously custom-built, but does the overall design stand up to YG's?
I know the small Alumine was using a moderately priced SEAS tweeter and a fairly high sensitivity cone. Nothing real exotic beyond the cabinets.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I know the small Alumine was using a moderately priced SEAS tweeter and a fairly high sensitivity cone. Nothing real exotic beyond the cabinets.
As I was looking at the website, things got interesting with the Reference Ultime model - a 4-way design and available passive or active woofers with the latter quoted as 15 Hz to 100 kHz FR. And a sealed cabinet with 96dB sensitivity. Even the passive version at 25-100k Hz and 91dB with a sealed cabinet seems really interesting.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I like the way they modernized them with the colorful horns and natural wood finish, wonder how stock are the crossovers. Which company was this?
david

David,
He takes the horn from the VOTT and matches it with a Baltic Burch reproduction of the Model 19 cabinet. He reconditions the bass driver, leaves the compression driver stock and reconditions the crossover only if it needs it.

Very successful presentation. And this is with digital only as his turntable broke.

I'm happy that multiple people that like very "high-fi" sounding systems really enjoyed this system. And all for the cost of some RCA's

Reactions: ddk

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
As I was looking at the website, things got interesting with the Reference Ultime model - a 4-way design and available passive or active woofers with the latter quoted as 15 Hz to 100 kHz FR. And a sealed cabinet with 96dB sensitivity. Even the passive version at 25-100k Hz and 91dB with a sealed cabinet seems really interesting.

Roy Gregory’s review of the Five talks about the drivers iirc. Non-SE version costs $60k here- double the Three at the show.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Ah here we go, for anyone else of curious mind... "...while Stenheim doesn’t build its own drivers, the company works closely with its chosen supplier (PHL, definitely not one of the usual suspects)..." Customization must be fairly significant, given the off-the-shelf specs of the 10" PHL woofers: http://www.phlaudio.com/products/?no_cache=1

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Branko Audio. He sells on eBay as well I believe. Jeff can give you the crossover particulars- they are redone iirc
I saw this speaker at around 5K$ on Ebay.

Although I got temptation to buy it, I need to set up second listening space on the second floor which stop me buying it.

It would be nice to listen to it over there.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
He seems to have a nice inventory of original Model 19’s, for those interested you should compare them to the reconstructed ones before buying. Though simple in construction woofer boxes made with modern techniques and so called better materials do not always sound better. Also be aware that you can’t drive those 15” drivers with flea sized SETs, you need current and at least a quality 50watt push/pull tube amp to make them come to life and control the woofers so they don’t sound muddy.
david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The old boxes were leaky, and the new boxes are not. That's a big difference. If they were smart they'd make the new ones "leaky" with an aperiodic vent.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He seems to have a nice inventory of original Model 19’s, for those interested you should compare them to the reconstructed ones before buying. Though simple in construction woofer boxes made with modern techniques and so called better materials do not always sound better. Also be aware that you can’t drive those 15” drivers with flea sized SETs, you need current and at least a quality 50watt push/pull tube amp to make them come to life and control the woofers so they don’t sound muddy.
david

How do these compare to 15 inch tannoy golds?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In what way, they're such different animals? They're totally different sonically too.
david

Ok... Haven't heard altecs yet but many owners seem to prefer both

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I like both too, along with at least a dozen other ones :)!

david

How many of those dozen are near these price points?

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing