KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
has anyone heard the Viva Audio Allegro (and price point?)

Brad, have no fear - you get more in-person cone reviews soon ;)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Doesn't look too bad, probably has a little break up before the crossover point. The horn probably sounds nice.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
has anyone heard the Viva Audio Allegro (and price point?)

Brad, have no fear - you get more in-person cone reviews soon ;)
I have heard it. It was better sounding actually than their big monster horn system (at least at the show I heard them). I think it was around 25K euro.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Pallen and I own the same speakers.

Ah. Cool. The speakers you linked to just a minute ago are more similar to the Ubiq Model 1 in setup than your current ones. That doesn't mean they sound the same though.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Devore Gibbon X (my current speaker) made the cover of Stereophile and is being reviewed by Jim Austin (who has owned several Devore speakers over the years). Measurements will be interesting.

Reactions: Folsom

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Hey Keith, will you be attending AXPONA this year? Your requirements sound like the house sound of Rosso Fiorentino. I won't have the Siena - their $25,000 offering that fits all the bills - but I will have the $7,000 Stand-mount Fiesole that will offer you a solid insight to their sound. Right now the next step up would be the Florencia at $100,00 but there might be a new model hitting the market between those price points sooner than later.

I have the Siena currently on demo in my house.

There are a lot of great options out there and I'm sure you will find one to satisfy. Good luck on the search!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hey Keith, will you be attending AXPONA this year? Your requirements sound like the house sound of Rosso Fiorentino. I won't have the Siena - their $25,000 offering that fits all the bills - but I will have the $7,000 Stand-mount Fiesole that will offer you a solid insight to their sound. Right now the next step up would be the Florencia at $100,00 but there might be a new model hitting the market between those price points sooner than later.

Thanks - I will be at RMAF, not Axpona this year.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Devore Gibbon X (my current speaker) made the cover of Stereophile and is being reviewed by Jim Austin (who has owned several Devore speakers over the years). Measurements will be interesting.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/devore-fidelity-gibbon-x-loudspeaker

Well the review summarized why I love these speakers - dynamics with exceptional "realism" and huge soundstage. They disappear and image very well compared with former Devores. Curiously, Jim didn't use a tube amp which I feel these speakers are designed for - he swapped out his Pass monos which were too lean for PS Audio hybrid amps. He did summarize the differences between the Os and Gibbons nicely - i prefer the more modern, neutral Gibbon X to the O 96, but others will prefer the O with a more shelved top end and warmer bass. It was interesting he said the Xs get rid of a slightly hooded issue with vocals. I also agree with Jim that ultimate bass resolution doesn't exist on a Devore loudspeaker vs a sealed one.

The measurements with a Devore speaker are always interesting because of the tuned bass cabinet, although resonance is improved vs. the old Silverback. JA still doesn't like the second order crossover from midrange to bass creating a recessed lower midrange (that was much improved from the former speaker). However I think with tubes this is somewhat ameliorated and that life isn't all about FR as phase is very important in this region. John Devore says in the comments that in all Silverback installs he's heard, this curve sounded best compared with the alternative (he had a "HT" switch before so users could hear both). So its a computer vs real room issue. I will be curious for @Folsom opinion on this.

I do think the over ripe bass in my room might be an instance of the recessed lower midrange + room suckout in that region (which I've measured before with other speakers) - the combination making bass seem enhanced. So my bass issue could be more of a room caused one and would change in a larger room - and why @Pallen doesn't have any bass issues. In fact, Jim Austin noted the Devores bass was much leaner than the Orangutans (a good thing imo).

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225 and Al M.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My sentiments as well.
Is this just change for change's sake?
Keith, your thinking of swapping a spkr that has tone, soul, an easy load on amps, amp agnostic, for...
For what?
Or should I say "why"?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My sentiments as well.
Is this just change for change's sake?
Keith, your thinking of swapping a spkr that has tone, soul, an easy load on amps, amp agnostic, for...
For what?
Or should I say "why"?

Good question, one that i tried to answer head-on in my OP:

"I'm looking at to see what 2-3x the cost of my Devores (<50k) can provide - and am curious if the various high end cabinets are advantageous to my Devore's solid bamboo"

I also noted the non-optimal bass quality that is also mentioned in the Stereophile review.

So far, after several auditions the bar has been raised vs what I have at home. I noted in several audition notes on this thread that I prefer my speakers or didn't feel like the higher priced speaker was a substantial upgrade.

Keith

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've always mentioned to Keith that it's going to be hard to reproduce the huge performance jump from Zus to his current Devores, specially since they cost almost the same.

But a meaningful upgrade is possible, that I've no doubt. At a cost, of course.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh well, going to Devore made sense since the gap from Zu was huge.
Natch'.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Good question, one that i tried to answer head-on in my OP:

"I'm looking at to see what 2-3x the cost of my Devores (<50k) can provide - and am curious if the various high end cabinets are advantageous to my Devore's solid bamboo"

Keith, you said in your OP:
"I don't crave "ultimate transparency" or detail."

If that is the case, a more inert cabinet will not be as important.

I also noted the non-optimal bass quality that is also mentioned in the Stereophile review.

You said above:
"So my bass issue could be more of a room caused one and would change in a larger room - and why @Pallen doesn't have any bass issues."

I would look into serious room treatment, like ASC Tube Traps and ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps (for low bass). Or offerings from other acoustics companies. With the money saved you can upgrade your electronics instead.

Even if later you decided you wanted other speakers, taking care of your room acoustics will benefit those speakers as well.

Reactions: DaveC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing