KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Duo Mezzo could be very intersting.
M and I went to listen to those and we were rather underwhelmed.
We were expecting much more from them...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also more. But I want to listen to them with some more powerful sets like silvercore or Audio details 211 (made by the same guy who houses the universum I listen to, he is a good DIY guy and used to upgrade people's amps and then built a 211 voiced on the universums, took a year to do that, sounds good now)

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you know more?
What amps did they use and did they also compare to the Uni?

Not as good as the uni, not expected to be either. This can be fit in smaller spaces, as an alternative to cones, more sensitive, and cheaper.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Also more. But I want to listen to them with some more powerful sets like silvercore or Audio details 211 (made by the same guy who houses the universum I listen to, he is a good DIY guy and used to upgrade people's amps and then built a 211 voiced on the universums, took a year to do that, sounds good now)
I think LD bought a pair of those 211 amps and really raves about them :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Oops, sorry Keith for being quite OT in your thread :oops:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You can't blame the speakers for shining a magnifying glass on those transistory sounding pentode amps. The Duo Mezzo is like 109db/watt or something in that range.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hey Keith,
Are hoRNs available in the US? If so, have a look at their Opera model...could be quite nice.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, normally I don't comment on people's impressions of our room and our setups, as I believe one's impressions are just that, their own take on what we're trying to achieve, and thus perfectly valid.
But in this case, I feel I must chime in with some more details. The pair of Hailey 2.2 was, as has been described before, not fully broken in. It didn't have the requisite X amount of hours, but I'm not one to turn down a good time with friends, specially since I'd be leaving in a few days. I thought it would be a good first showing of the Haileys anyway, and when Keith mentioned the night before he wanted to compare with Sonja 2.2, I didn't see a problem then, since I know that they are indeed at different performance levels, albeit cut from the same cloth.
I've had three more days of listening to the Haileys since that Saturday, and I can safely say I did the Hailey a disservice. After just these few days, they sound more open and less congested, like a YG going through that breaking in process. The initial couple of hours are crucial, to get the tweeter to settle, and fortunately, by that time, we were past that. But in hindsight, the speakers were still somewhat reticent that Saturday, specially now that I've had even more hours put on them.
The fact that both Keith and Ron found the Sonja 2.2 to be much better is actually the logical conclusion. It is the better speaker, as YG does go to greater lengths. I just want people reading this not to eschew the Haileys altogether, like Keith seems to have done, as that would be a tremendous mistake.
I have absolutely NO DOUBT that, in a normal sized room, the Haileys will paint just a nice canvas as the Sonjas did in our 30 x 27 room. It won't have the clarity, the midrange density, or the sheer lack of distortion of the Sonja, and of course, maybe not go all the way to 10 on Keith's "relaxation scale" because of all that, but it'll surely be the best speaker Keith has ever had in his room, by a country mile.
And, at the current MSRP, the Hailey 2.2 is a fantastic purchase, not only for Keith, but for folks looking for a cutting-edge speaker with these performance characteristics.

cheers,
Alex

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Just a small update as several asked me to hear Veritys, a smaller Canadian brand. Unfortunately their west coast distribution seems in a bit of flux and there isn’t a real dealer in California. I might hear them at a show this year, but not in a proper environment unless the oddball business trip back east happens. The Amadis S was the speaker recommended to me- a slightly larger Parsifal, the most recognizable Verity.

Cessaro horns are confirmed for mid-April as mentioned previously. I have no interest in Acapella as they have expensive to replace plasma tweeters and aren’t very efficient for horns. I’ve also read several places bass integration is poor- which from my recent demos seems to be of more consideration than initially thought.

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Just a small update as several asked me to hear Veritys, a smaller Canadian brand. Unfortunately their west coast distribution seems in a bit of flux and there isn’t a real dealer in California. I might hear them at a show this year, but not in a proper environment unless the oddball business trip back east happens. The Amados S was the speaker recommended to me- a slightly larger Parsifal, the most recognizable Verity.

Cessaro horns are confirmed for mid-April as mentioned previously. I have no interest in Acapella as they have expensive to replace plasma tweeters and aren’t very efficient for horns. I’ve also read several places bass integration is poor- which from my recent demos seems to be of more consideration than initially thought.

Keith , Ah been following this thread--Good to hear(?) you are still considering the Verity's--indeed see if you can negotiate a pair even contact the Mfg ( mention your thread here)I've heard YG's and Magico's at length and I consider the Veritys superior for domestic listening.They have a sense
of purity of sound that is beguiling and involving-- remind me of my SFGHomages but with more presence and detailed fuller bass.

Hope you find your Nirvana!

BruceD

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just a small update as several asked me to hear Veritys, a smaller Canadian brand. Unfortunately their west coast distribution seems in a bit of flux and there isn’t a real dealer in California. I might hear them at a show this year, but not in a proper environment unless the oddball business trip back east happens. The Amadis S was the speaker recommended to me- a slightly larger Parsifal, the most recognizable Verity.

The La Campanella, Basso Nobile and La Campanella Alto are horn hybrid without ion tweeter. They range from 92-95db/watt. Heard La Campanella and since it is a two-way , integration was good. Basso and Alto are also basically two-way designs with horn going down to 700hz or so.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The La Campanella, Basso Nobile and La Campanella Alto are horn hybrid without ion tweeter. They range from 92-95db/watt. Heard La Campanella and since it is a two-way , integration was good. Basso and Alto are also basically two-way designs with horn going down to 700hz or so.

Sorry, not interested in a compromised Acapella. Also the fact the company uses its own $100,000 *integrated* at shows rubs me the wrong way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing