KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, not interested in a compromised Acapella. Also the fact the company uses its own $100,000 *integrated* at shows rubs me the wrong way.

Acapella is over rated. Nice mids, but the Lansche do the plasma tweeter and mids much better with better integration and lower costs. Also Acapella needs a lot of power to come alive not flea watt sets. They themselves use Einstein hybrids

Reactions: thomask

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore
Just musing. I wonder how the Westminster SE would match with the Zanden 6000.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I would like to see measurements. I have a feeling that if you score a speaker that doesn’t have the mid-midbass dip you’ll be rather happy.

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
I'm in love with what plasma tweeters bring to the musical event. Years ago I tried to talk a friend out of buying the Acapella Ion tweeters, to no avail. Once I heard them, I was floored! Now, after selling off several body parts, I own a pair! I even had a friend change out the iec, to a Furutech NCF9, recapped it with V cap coppers, better internal wire, TWL power cords,etc. The ONE thing to point out is when we do sell those speakers we said we will never sell, you still have your Ion tweeters. They get along with EVERY speaker I have heard them with.They can be overbearing, or understated by simply adjusting the volume knob to match your new set of speakers you promise your wife you will never sell. Now, about those two flames in the living room, your on your own......

Reactions: thomask

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
From his review

"Like the DeVore Orangutan O/96 speakers, the Super Nines had the ability to transport me to a live performance in a way that few other speakers have in my room."

>>This is why after the O96 I kept referring to how these were transparent to recordings, and easily transported me to the venue

"They allowed me to hear the wood tones of a standup bass or piano. They also produced air around and within the instruments in a way that made them occupy space and sound like real instruments."

>> completely agree, with O96.

"I have spent the last ten years listening to single-driver speakers as my reference. This has meant that when most speakers play piano recordings, I found the sound slightly incoherent. This has not been the case with the DeVore Orangutans or Super Nines. Pianos played over the Super Nines sounded coherent from top to bottom and with more top and bottom too. Most of all, on this recording the piano sounded simply beautiful.e micro-dynamics were quick and lively enough to let the plucking of a bass or rimshots of the drum kit and especially cymbals sound startlingly alive."

>>Tannoy being a dual concentric sounds like a single driver and does piano extremely well too. 15 inch dual concentric driver is an amazing thing

"The Orangutan O/96 speakers were the first speakers in seven years that had tempted me to replace my reference speakers. As it turns out, I wasn’t the only reviewer to be tempted, and some of the most respected reviewers did just that, but I resisted and finally returned them to DeVore. That will not be happening with the Super Nines, and this is a shock to me.""

>> Need to check out

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Update- a bit of unfortunate news. The Cessaro importer hasn't received his Wagner 2s yet, so I won't be able to hear them next week in NYC. He offered to bring them to THE Show in June.

I might still hear the Listz, not sure yet.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, have you heard the M2!5 ?

Yes, my friend Jeff has the MTM version of this speaker. The size/aesthetics are difficult (massive might be more accurate descriptor), although I enjoyed the sound first go-around. He believes the compression driver has finally broken in months later, so I am going to hear them in a few weeks. The crossover was designed by Greg Timbers, of JBL fame.

Reactions: Folsom

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@KeithR With the recent announcement of the YG Vantage; do you plan on auditioning it?

Price wise, between a Carmel 2 and a Hailey 2.

I was hoping for a more accessible speaker to bring more people into the brand. Ala Magico A3 but, the Vantage sounds promising on paper.

But, I hope you can upgrade the tweeter to the new hybrid one on the Vantage. Eventually...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Small update- I wasn’t able to corral a Cessaro Listz demo in nyc as the distributor didn’t feel they were setup properly. Very disappointing. I’m not sure this is ever going to happen so may need to rethink a different horn avenue.

I did happen upon the midtown Harman Store where I heard the JBL K2s on a full $200k Levinson setup- one of the poorest setup systems I’ve ever heard. Was basically a display case he turned on for me. The stairwell impeded the listening position! Sounded like a glorified PA system. I can confirm they are bass limited as some reviews state.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Small update- I wasn’t able to corral a Cessaro Listz demo in nyc as the distributor didn’t feel they were setup properly. Very disappointing. I’m not sure this is ever going to happen so may need to rethink a different horn avenue.

I did happen upon the midtown Harman Store where I heard the JBL K2s on a full $200k Levinson setup- one of the poorest setup systems I’ve ever heard. Was basically a display case he turned on for me. The stairwell impeded the listening position! Sounded like a glorified PA system. I can confirm they are bass limited as some reviews state.

Those K2 are awful

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I'm in love with what plasma tweeters bring to the musical event. Years ago I tried to talk a friend out of buying the Acapella Ion tweeters, to no avail. Once I heard them, I was floored! Now, after selling off several body parts, I own a pair! I even had a friend change out the iec, to a Furutech NCF9, recapped it with V cap coppers, better internal wire, TWL power cords,etc. The ONE thing to point out is when we do sell those speakers we said we will never sell, you still have your Ion tweeters. They get along with EVERY speaker I have heard them with.They can be overbearing, or understated by simply adjusting the volume knob to match your new set of speakers you promise your wife you will never sell. Now, about those two flames in the living room, your on your own......
I also like Acapella Ion tweeters .

If I had bought vintage or Line Magnetic horn system, then I would consider adding Acapella Ion tweeters to it.

I had been happily using Lanshe 4.1 since 2007.

Lansche has a better integration with mid and midbass than Acapella speakers.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Don't have the details yet, but I'm sure they'll have it in their room at one of the atriums.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing