KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Are these ribbons, by the Mike who is analysis audio distributor? And he still is in South Carolina right?
They are not made from ribbon but made from new line array driver using strong neodymium magnets.

Mike is still involved with distribution of Analysis planar speakers.

He is stationed in North Carolina.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Spent the afternoon at my good friend Jeff's place and heard his now broken-in PBN horns - lots of fun! The front end is still awesome, but it was easy to notice the more real and dynamic sound since my last visit. The speakers have great dynamic snap to them and excellent presence - i noticed this particularly on Mozart strings he played for me. As a hybrid horn, they project more forward than the dynamic driver speakers I have been auditioning recently. The speakers breathed more life into the sound than the first time, for sure.

The PBN speakers scale big as they appear. Bass quality was natural and articulate, even on difficult electro stuff like the Tron soundtrack I brought. I also didn't notice bass coming from a particular driver, a pet peeve of mine (I credit the WTW design, but who knows). Jeff's been considering a pair of 18" subs to go in his new dedicated room to get the last 10-15hz, but I feel this would likely be tough to integrate and could cause more issues than its worth. Since Jeff's musical interests are largely jazz and classical, these speakers 100% fit the bill and his sonic criteria. Jeff has some room difficulties (an open space to the right, just like mine) but that will be alleviated in his new, deeper and symmetrical room. He does have treatment on the ceiling which I found before in my condo a huge, huge deal.

Jeff has built quite the system at a relative modest cost. I am glad I got to hear them before the Tune Audios and am even more curious how an all horn, 3-way speaker will fit with my listening priorities and now have an additional point of reference.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, much as I admired the recent Animas sound I heard, they likely really won't go much lower than 35-40Hz, depending on room. This may or may not be an issue.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I support the subwoofer project!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Spent the afternoon at my good friend Jeff's place and heard his now broken-in PBN horns - lots of fun! The front end is still awesome, but it was easy to notice the more real and dynamic sound since my last visit. The speakers have great dynamic snap to them and excellent presence - i noticed this particularly on Mozart strings he played for me. As a hybrid horn, they project more forward than the dynamic driver speakers I have been auditioning recently. The speakers breathed more life into the sound than the first time, for sure.

Keith, I'm glad you have had a chance to hear these now that they are broken in. I was very impressed when I heard them a month ago. One question: When you write that they project more forward than the (recent) speakers you have auditioned, what do you mean? Does the sound fill the room more, enveloping you more completely at the listening seat, or is the imaging moved forward, or is it a more up front or up close listening perspective, like you are sitting closer? Thanks.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Keith, I'm glad you have had a chance to hear these now that they are broken in. I was very impressed when I heard them a month ago. One question: When you write that they project more forward than the (recent) speakers you have auditioned, what do you mean? Does the sound fill the room more, enveloping you more completely at the listening seat, or is the imaging moved forward, or is it a more up front or up close listening perspective, like you are sitting closer? Thanks.

I am not Keith ( obviously)...... these speakers have the ability to project a very solid, dense, in the room quality, better than just about anything I have heard. Their dispersive qualifies are such that they can be widely separated (12 feet from center of mid-range horn) , with no toe in.......
One would think there would be a center focusing issue with this arrangement.....not so.....the opposite in fact ....With well recorded material, the illusion of a live group actually being in the room, can be quite startling at times.
A world class speaker at a very reasonable price ( compared to what some of the high end is selling their products).......
Cheers.....

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

The PBN speakers scale big as they appear. Bass quality was natural and articulate, even on difficult electro stuff like the Tron soundtrack I brought. I also didn't notice bass coming from a particular driver, a pet peeve of mine (I credit the MTM design, but who knows). Jeff's been considering a pair of 18" subs to go in his new dedicated room to get the last 10-15hz, but I feel this would likely be tough to integrate and could cause more issues than its worth. Since Jeff's musical interests are largely jazz and classical, these speakers 100% fit the bill and his sonic criteria. Jeff has some room difficulties (an open space to the right, just like mine) but that will be alleviated in his new, deeper and symmetrical room. He does have treatment on the ceiling which I found before in my condo a huge, huge deal.

Jeff has built quite the system at a relative modest cost. I am glad I got to hear them before the Tune Audios and am even more curious how an all horn, 3-way speaker will fit with my listening priorities and now have an additional point of reference.

Cool stuff!

Reactions: jeff1225

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

I would say its more of an up close listening perspective with less depth? I should also add that I heard no cupped hands coloration - which I've heard on other horns.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
It was a great visit Keith, thank you for making the time. Unfortunately that Daft Punk Tron soundtrack is a must have and cost me over $100 on eBay. I hope you like the Mercury Mozart record, let me know how it sounds on your system.

Reactions: KeithR

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I would say its more of an up close listening perspective with less depth? I should also add that I heard no cupped hands coloration - which I've heard on other horns.

I'm not an expert but I believe that you trade sound stage depth for better dispersion when you go from a proper horn to the wave guide. My old Avantgardes had a deeper sound stage, but you had to sit perfectly "head in vise" to get this sound stage. I personally found which I found annoying as I like to move around the room and mess with my record collection while I'm listening.

Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm not an expert but I believe that you trade sound stage depth for better dispersion when you go from a proper horn to the wave guide. My old Avantgardes had a deeper sound stage, but you had to sit perfectly "head in vise" to get this sound stage. I personally found which I found annoying as I like to move around the room and mess with my record collection while I'm listening.

That has been my experience as well. Not that a wg speaker can't portray depth well, just not quite as 3D a presentation as some horns.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

reminds me of the Sanders demos with a single line of seats perpendicular to the speakers. can't see how people like that at all.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Stenheim reached out to me and said I can hear their speakers at the Long Beach show. So if I find time to sneak in and hear them, will post some thoughts. Very impressive that after an email a few months ago responding to my inquiry that they found time to send me a note.

Reactions: Al M.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Stenheim reached out to me and said I can hear their speakers at the Long Beach show. So if I find time to sneak in and hear them, will post some thoughts. Very impressive that after an email a few months ago responding to my inquiry that they found time to send me a note.

What model will they be bringing to the show?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

I've heard Stenheims-very interesting speaker--maybe overpriced for the US per performance, but the Salon also demoed Ocean Way which I believe

is in your neck of the woods--maybe worth a listen if you deem.

While neither completely fit my personal prefs' there are some "sleepers" that can be had for excellent used prices--

My choice of those that I could live with--

Vandersteen Carbon 5's

Tidal Diacera's

Ocellia Grandis

and of course any larger Veritys

Good luck with your Quest

BruceD

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The Tune Audio Animas will also be at the T.H.E. Show in Long Beach.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Tune Audio Animas will also be at the T.H.E. Show in Long Beach.

Yes, I commented on that awhile ago. I will also get a full audition at the distributors DTLA salon.

I am curious if AG or Cessaro will make an appearance - that would be amazing for this thread :p

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Yes, I commented on that awhile ago. I will also get a full audition at the distributors DTLA salon.

I am curious if AG or Cessaro will make an appearance - that would be amazing for this thread :p
Sorry I missed that post. I read the one where you said Tune Audio would be there but you weren't sure which model they would be bringing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing