KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ok, sure Steve.

Brad

What you fail to see is the comment you posted about a siufy. It was in poor taste. And frankly looking at the speakers you are recommending for Keith they don't seem to be available in the USA[/QUOTE]
Dear Steve,
I think you misunderstood my short reply . Ok, sure meant I will abide by the site policies. That said, Al.M made a similar comment to me and it was deleted as well...where’s the rebuke for him?

Regarding speaker recommendations, I don’t live in the US so I am not aware of what is or is not available, I am just providing what I think are good options in his price range.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I was not commenting on Brad post, just your own short comment - "The latter is quite obviously in favour of horns though. "

So now you don’t like plain facts. You spend most of your forum posts being a pedant on facts - weird.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Dear Steve,
I think you misunderstood my short reply . Ok, sure meant I will abide by the site policies. That said, Al.M made a similar comment to me and it was deleted as well...where’s the rebuke for him?

Sheesh. I was pointing out the arrogance of your post with my reply. Apparently this wasn't obvious to you.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sheesh. I was pointing out the arrogance of your post with my reply. Apparently this wasn't obvious to you.
Whatever, Al. And you felt it was your place point this out?? Now that's arrogant...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
THAT’S ENOUGH!

Please focus directly on the purpose of this thread, or refrain from posting on this thread!

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Which single drivers are you referring to?
THe modded Altec, the vintage tannoy and a custom made ‘ lowther like’ single driver made with exotic Japanese paper. In fact the vintage tannoy I heard sounded awful

Last edited:

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
In my view, the lack of coherence of multi drivers is quite overstated. It does make for a good argument/discussion. But for all practical purposes, the top of the line brands have got it so close that it doesn’t matter....imo. Of course, it’s quite demanding on amplification so the caveat is that the amplification needs to be right. Actually, I have heard the vintage tannoy alongside the VR55. Regardless of genre, the VR 55 outclassed the Tannoys in every possible way. Of course, completely different price points though.....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
THe modded Altec, the vintage tannoy and a custom made ‘ lowther like’ single driver made with exotic Japanese paper. In fact the vintage tannoy I heard sounded awful

Sorry I thought you heard Turnberry?

Which vintage tannoys.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So now you don’t like plain facts. You spend most of your forum posts being a pedant on facts - weird.

I believe that the essence of the debate on high-end is on the details and the implementation, preferences are personnel. There is too much variation to allow broad generalization. For example, a 6dB variation in listening loudness is enough to change completely our perception of dynamics. At some point we must quantify our statements and be precise to allow some progress on the discussion. Or we will always go on misunderstanding other people posts and just saying just mine is better than yours ...

Reactions: Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dont remember now.....it is definitely still in production in their vintage range. I will come back to you with the name.

Yes Tunberry. That's not really vintage. Vintage are Black, Silver, Red Gold or HPD drivers - Black being the oldest and that sequence. Black and silver are very rare, and Black, Silver and red are from the mono era, 16 ohms, high sensitivity. Sensitivity reduces from left to right, and impedance falls to 8. Still fairly sensitive. And then are all the Tunberry, Westminster, Canterbury etc with various variations. It is a 70 year old company that changed. So there is vintage and vintage vintage which is not in production, depending on how vintage you want to get

Reactions: sujay

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I believe that the essence of the debate on high-end is on the details and the implementation, preferences are personnel. There is too much variation to allow broad generalization. For example, a 6dB variation in listening loudness is enough to change completely our perception of dynamics. At some point we must quantify our statements and be precise to allow some progress on the discussion. Or we will always go on misunderstanding other people posts and just saying just mine is better than yours ...

You are answering a different question again. Don’t worry about it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What's your take on how the Universum III differs from the Anima in terms of performance?

They are very different sounds. Since you don't listen to classical much (and I guess not jazz that much either) I wouldn't recommend you the uni.

The Anima is higher impact some great timbre. Universum is more transparent, stats like with more bass than stats, and better than the Anima on nuance of violin etc

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
They are very different sounds. Since you don't listen to classical much (and I guess not jazz that much either) I wouldn't recommend you the uni.

The Anima is higher impact some great timbre. Universum is more transparent, stats like with more bass than stats, and better than the Anima on nuance of violin etc
I'm guessing the Universum would be better on vocals because it is more nuanced?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What's your take on how the Universum III differs from the Anima in terms of performance?
Anima is more dramatic sounding but I think Universum is better balanced tonally. Resolution on both is really good but Animas definitely "project" more towards the listener and Universums sit back a bit more...still quite alive sounding but not as in-yer-face. The work well with most music I have heard them with but perhaps classical is better than most horns while Jazz and Rock a bit less than some other horns...a bit what Bonzo was saying but not as extreme as he put it, IMO. That said, I am not sure if I would choose them over Odeon 33s or 38s...I know Christoph would disagree (he had both in the same room and with same electronics) but his room is special (huge and with a lot of glass behind the speakers) and probably the Odeons cope better in a smaller room (they sound awesome in other setups). Both are worth a serious audition but I would lean towards the Universums...

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing