bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
She broke her own rule and did the first problem wrong when she Divided 8 by 2 instead of Multiplying 2 by 4... the answer is 1.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's a trick! The equation is short a set of parenthesis' on purpose. LOL

However, if someone was really trying to figure things out by formig a word problem the equation would likely have turned out with the more conventional look of an expression like 2(2+2)/8=n

Human nature will most often deal with what we've got on hand before we divvy them up right?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
She broke her own rule and did the first problem wrong when she Divided 8 by 2 instead of Multiplying 2 by 4... the answer is 1.

I'd say 16

The equation seems to be presented with a little ambiguity though, as if it was more a social resolve than a mathematical one.

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Just publish the language specification for what the expression is written in. That'll clear it up.

Reactions: bonzo75

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
grade school math:)

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
But "grade school math" doesn't come with a specification to resolve these kinds of ambiguities, without additional punctuation or spacing to clear up the confusion. From context we can tell that the space between the first 2 and lead parenthetical ( is intended as an implicit multiplication operator. But it's ambiguous whether an implicit multiplication operator carries a higher binding power than an explicit op (X or *). It kind of leads the eye to believe that it is, because its two operands are physically more tightly packed (I would argue this is a reasonable, but not necessary assumption in the absence of extra information). In that case, you'd evaluate it before the divide op and the answer is 1. However, if the implicit multiply op is intended to have the same binding power as explicit multi and divide, then the left-to-right evaluation applies and the little girl's answer of 16 is correct. As it stands, any teacher assigning this - without also providing a more stringent definition of operator precedence, better spacing/formatting, or extra grouping parenthesis to disambiguate - is a jerk.

Computer programming languages - almost all of which contain expression languages that approximate grade school math (sans the implicit mult operators) - usually come with very stringently defined language specifications to avoid ambiguities like this.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The answer is 16. Socrates said music is mathematical progression and I go to a lot of concerts and I feel 16 is more real so it must be correct.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The whole point of the article, which I thought was well written, is that when something is kept a bit ambiguous, people argue over it a lot. And even though the article said that, people kept arguing in large numbers over the solution. Hence it reminded me of audiophiles and I put it up here.

Reactions: mulveling

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The answer is 16. Socrates said music is mathematical progression and I go to a lot of concerts and I feel 16 is more real so it must be correct.

Let's have some fun with this by translating it into a word problem instead of arguing :)

Anybody want to give it a whirl with the intentions of getting 1 and/or 16 WITHOUT adding added parenthesis'?? :D

Here's my go that will end up with the result of 1

I need to distribute eight badges to two families comprised of a pair of parents and a pair of children each. Do I have enough badges? :)

I find going left to right finding a situation resulting in 16 much more challenging. Anybody want to try?

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The 16s have high potential for comedy

I had eight badges but my idiot assistant accidentally threw have of them away so now I have to do two runs of two sets apiece because my damn printer can't do more than 2 copies at a time in case he throws the original eight away!! Whuh? That's still wrong! LOL!

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Eight divided by 2 multiplied by 2+2 equals

Rob

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Come on Rob you just read it left to right. How about some sort of practical application? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing