Kjetil's stereo

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I'll start with the block diagram.

Drodledipolene 5 eng.jpg

Computer sound with dipoles...

far lytter.jpeg

My father in the listening chair. It's not really nearfield, but it’s close at 1.6 m and the triangle is wide, 120 degrees or so. The only acoustical treatment is the ceiling above the listening triangle. That enormous rococco chair behind the right speaker is normally not placed there.

Last edited:

EBITDAC

Jan 21, 2021
Is that an old PPT template there? I love the use of the flow chart.

Beautiful system and room!

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Thanks. Yes, it’s ppt all right.

1667284576012.png

The Lindemann Limetree Phono II is a nice quiet linear phono amp very well suited for MC cartridges but somewhat limited for MM/MI with fixed 40 dB gain and 150 pF capacitive loading.

The Topping L30 headphone amp has almost incredible data for a laughable price.

Most audiophiles use the Yamaha WXC-50 as a pure streamer. In my system it's the preamplifier too. The onboard ADC/resampler converts all signals to 24 bit 48 kHz for the digital output. I haven't seen any measurements on linearity, but 18 bits (108 dB) have been suggested. Not SOTA but good enough. The 98 dB SNR on the analog input is also enough for vinyl.

Last edited:

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
Blir fint att följa dig här också Valentino! ;)

Reactions: Kjetil

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Takk!
I am a little bit unsure of how I belong in this forum. My kit is not really high end (Line level and ADC/DAC are not Sota), and neither is my hifi philosophy, at least the way I understand modern high end.

Reactions: crosswind

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
Same here Kjetil. My equipment is modest compared to most here at WBF, but I do think there is room for us as well. :)

Reactions: Kjetil and PeterA

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Takk!
I am a little bit unsure of how I belong in this forum. My kit is not really high end (Line level and ADC/DAC are not Sota), and neither is my hifi philosophy, at least the way I understand modern high end.
Your view is just plain beautiful :eek:
Where is that?

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Farmlands to the south of Hamar, Norway. That’s Lake Mjøsa.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Back at ya, @christoph . Stunning avatar!

1667380108268.png
Right speaker's top section undressed, tweeter and midrange drivers hanging from the gallows.
Note the bitumen on the midrange (SEAS W15CH) chassis. There was a singing resonance which had to be damped and moved outside the passband. Tweeter is a Mundorf AMT 2340 without front plate and rear chamber, making it a true dipole.

The naked midrange and tweeter solution came late and was a stroke of luck. We had earlier decidet that the midrange and tweeter baffle should hide under a top hat (a SEAS W22EX and a Beyma TPL 150 was favoured for a very long time), and the cabinet was put in production when we started experimenting with no baffle at all in his system. Then came the idea of 2340 and two of the magnificent W15CH.
IIRC Rudolf Finke started experimenting with his baffle-less dipoles at about the same time, and everybody was reading Linkwitz of course.

I could wax lyrical about my speaker cables for hours on end.

1667380306515.png
Never mind the MTM layout, it was just to check for space under the top hat back in 2010 when we designed the system.
The side view has the speaker front facing left. Design brief: Make the smallest dipole possible, but 40 Hz capability and Mahler-fähig. The bass frame didn't turn out too large.
The frame is 21 mm impregnated birch ply wrapped with 12 mm MDF.
Originally the amplifiers were inside the bass H-frame: On the upper side wall a B&O IcePower125ASX2 for midrange and tweeter, and a 250ASX2 for the bass on the lower side wall.
In 2018 one 250 died, and in october 21 another one. Big decision: Hypex outboard. Quite a big job doing the conversion.

I do not know of any other dipole application of the 12P1000Nd. The top one has the magnet facing the listener. The subwoofer enclosures are so small that the LP is below any resonance, and the rest is just DSP (and class D of course).

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Looks really good love dipole sound,reminds me a bit of joachim gerhard's dipass. It's diy kit from klang&ton germany. dipass.jpg
picture in the raw state not veneered or varnished.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Back at ya, @christoph . Stunning avatar!

View attachment 99766
Right speaker's top section undressed, tweeter and midrange drivers hanging from the gallows.
Note the bitumen on the midrange (SEAS W15CH) chassis. There was a singing resonance which had to be damped and moved outside the passband. Tweeter is a Mundorf AMT 2340 without front plate and rear chamber, making it a true dipole.

The naked midrange and tweeter solution came late and was a stroke of luck. We had earlier decidet that the midrange and tweeter baffle should hide under a top hat (a SEAS W22EX and a Beyma TPL 150 was favoured for a very long time), and the cabinet was put in production when the man in the listening chair started experimenting with no baffle at all in his system. Then came the idea of 2340 and two of the magnificent W15CH.
IIRC Rudolf Finke started experimenting with his baffle-less dipoles at about the same time, and everybody were reading Linkwitz of course.

I could wax lyrical about my speaker cables for hours on end.

View attachment 99767
Never mind the MTM layout, it was just to check for space under the top hat back in 2010 when we designed the system.
The side view has the speaker front facing left. Design brief: Make the smallest dipole possible, but 40 Hz capability and Mahler-fähig. The bass frame didn't turn out too large.
The frame is 21 mm impregnated birch ply wrapped with 12 mm MDF.
Originally the amplifiers were inside the bass H-frame: On the upper side wall a B&O IcePower125ASX2 for midrange and tweeter, and a 250ASX2 for the bass on the lower side wall.
In 2018 one 250 died, and in october 21 another one. Big decision: Hypex outboard. Quite a big job doing the conversion.

I do not know of any other dipole application of the 12P1000Nd. The top one has the magnet facing the listener. The subwoofer enclosures are so small that the LP is below any resonance, and the rest is just DSP (and class D of course).
Thanks, I'm extremely blessed and grateful for my view, but your view has water (that I'm missing) :D
Your speakers must sound awesome :cool:
I'm a big Dipole fan myself ;)

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
What, you only have three dipole systems?

One nice thing with dipoles that are designed to work below the dipole peak and equally to the front and back is that the radiation pattern is closer to a theoretic dipole. This means that on our terrace it sounds right tonally and not muffled like a conventional speaker will.

1667548753379.png
Verdi on the terrace this summer, the Gardelli recording of Nabucco on Decca. The beer glass just outside the frame.

1667549215597.png

Left and right side measured response in the listening position (the one that's not on the terrace). I like a wide shallow BBC-inspired "valley". The somewhat meagre looking upper bass/lower midrange was necessary. Lifting it to the line made it sound too thick in my living room.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
What, you only have three dipole systems?

One nice thing with dipoles that are designed to work below the dipole peak and equally to the front and back is that the radiation pattern is closer to a theoretic dipole. This means that on our terrace it sounds right tonally and not muffled like a conventional speaker will.

View attachment 99858
Verdi on the terrace this summer, the Gardelli recording of Nabucco on Decca. The beer glass just outside the frame.

View attachment 99859

Left and right side measured response in the listening position (the one that's not on the terrace). I like a wide shallow BBC-inspired "valley". The somewhat meagre looking upper bass/lower midrange was necessary. Lifting it to the line made it sound too thick in my living room.
Very impressive, both :cool:

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
8DD0A221-6BBD-4FC5-BFD4-11AD1B40327B.jpeg
Drop in replacement tonearm!

Reactions: Johan K

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Takk!
I am a little bit unsure of how I belong in this forum.[emphasis supplied] My kit is not really high end (Line level and ADC/DAC are not Sota), and neither is my hi-fi philosophy, at least the way I understand modern high end.
Some come here to learn. Some come here to teach. Others come her to exhibit.
Welcome.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Exhibition time again then. There are some changes. Revised block diagram:

Drodledipolene 3.0 eng.jpg
PC and RME have left the setup. Their replacement is a miniDSP Flex Eight.
Have also booted out the Lindemann Limetree Phono II and put in the better measuring and more MM suitable Cambridge Alva Duo.

The pretty new Bokrand AS-230* with the Korf HS-A02 headshell mounted with the AT33PTG/II:
BokrandKorfAT33.jpeg
*Alfred messed up the geometry om mine, so it's an AS-228 here. It is also set up for 56 mm minimum modulated groove radius (yes, I do have a couple of those). No standard Baerwald for me alas. Interim birch ply arm board.

Last edited:

SlapEcho

Dec 15, 2021
Very interesting alignment with the 12P1000Nd using high BL, low Q drivers in an open frame and small sealed. Not something seen often. Bass articulation and attack must be amazing.
Just curious to why you went this route?

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
The plan at the time was 12P1300Nd which were all new then but Beyma had SoP delays. We knew what the 12P1000Nd was capable of though.
The construction has two main Inspirators: Siegfried Linkwitz (dynamic dipoles) and Thomas Finke (look ma no baffle).

Last edited:
Reactions: SlapEcho

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing