KLAUDiO RCM EOL

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Of course.

This cleaner looks interesting.

At less than half the weight of the KLAUDIO (20 vs 48 lbs), one can determine that significant corners were cut to hit a price point. I hope that it isn't as problematic as the ADS machine over the long run.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
This cleaner looks interesting.

At less than half the weight of the KLAUDIO (20 vs 48 lbs), one can determine that significant corners were cut to hit a price point. I hope that it isn't as problematic as the ADS machine over the long run.

That’s an odd assumption. Weight determines quality?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Odds are the more times you clean a record, the cleaner it will be.

Yes, you would think so. This was therefore surprising to see how the KL could not improve it no matter how many washes yet the Degritter did with one.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Shame about the KLaudio RCM. I hope mine lasts. I had to return my ADS because water started leaking out of the power socket...

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Obviously weight assumes quality with machines that have power supplies, motors and metal work.

I think in the case of a RCM the weight of it is the last thing I would be worried about or use as a judgement of quality and performance. The fit and finish of the Degritter is very high and so is the KL.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Yes, you would think so. This was therefore surprising to see how the KL could not improve it no matter how many washes yet the Degritter did with one.

Did you, by chance, use the Degritter cleaning solution in the water when cleaning with Degritter, or plain distilled water? Did you try using the solution in the KLAudio machine? Perhaps the effectiveness is enhanced by the cleaning solution... a tiny amount of “soap” might make a difference helping release stubborn particles.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I think in the case of a RCM the weight of it is the last thing I would be worried about or use as a judgement of quality and performance. The fit and finish of the Degritter is very high and so is the KL.

Then you would be worried about the wrong things my friend. Good power supplies and motors are heavy, inexpensive ones are light. At about half the price of the KLAUDIO, its obvious to anyone that compromises were made. The cost of labor in Estonia is not low enough to account for the pricing.

Anyway, I hope if works out as it would be good that another option for electrostatic machines.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Did you, by chance, use the Degritter cleaning solution in the water when cleaning with Degritter, or plain distilled water? Did you try using the solution in the KLAudio machine? Perhaps the effectiveness is enhanced by the cleaning solution... a tiny amount of “soap” might make a difference helping release stubborn particles.

I used them both per manufacturers instructions. KL with only distilled water and Degritter with distilled + their solution.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Then you would be worried about the wrong things my friend. Good power supplies and motors are heavy, inexpensive ones are light. At about half the price of the KLAUDIO, its obvious to anyone that compromises were made. The cost of labor in Estonia is not low enough to account for the pricing.

Anyway, I hope if works out as it would be good that another option for electrostatic machines.

It's not a machine being used in an industrial application or during war. I'm sure the weight of it is fine. I will be sure to let you know if it implodes under the stress of spinning a 180gr disc.

Reactions: mulveling

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
It's not a machine being used in an industrial application or during war. I'm sure the weight of it is fine. I will be sure to let you know if it implodes under the stress of spinning a 180gr disc.

Well the ADS machine sure did.

Good luck.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Seriously, I will be sure to let everyone know if it falls apart. I've just never heard of someone weighing their audio gear to determine quality. This is a first for me. You also stated "significant corners were cut to hit a price point" as fact. I don't think this is fair considering you likely know very little about the actual machine. I hold no allegiance to Degritter. I'm finding it is working very well for me, better than the KL. Cleaning performance aside, it is a much easier machine to use/maintain and for that it's a win on its own.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Good luck.[/QUOTE[/QUOTE]
Seriously, I will be sure to let everyone know if it falls apart. I've just never heard of someone weighing their audio gear to determine quality. This is a first for me. You also stated "significant corners were cut to hit a price point" as fact. I don't think this is fair considering you likely know very little about the actual machine. I hold no allegiance to Degritter. I'm finding it is working very well for me, better than the KL. Cleaning performance aside, it is a much easier machine to use/maintain and for that it's a win on its own.

Seriously? The weight of speakers and amplifiers is a common topic in audio reviews and blogs to denote the quality of build and parts. I could link to hundreds of articles that do so.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I used them both per manufacturers instructions. KL with only distilled water and Degritter with distilled + their solution.

I will be tempted to get some of the Degritter soap for use in my KLAudio, seems a reasonable test as I have a few records that have some pops and clicks that have not gone away with multiple cleanings.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I will be tempted to get some of the Degritter soap for use in my KLAudio, seems a reasonable test as I have a few records that have some pops and clicks that have not gone away with multiple cleanings.

Let me know how it works.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Seriously? The weight of speakers and amplifiers is a common topic in audio reviews and blogs to denote the quality of build and parts. I could link to hundreds of articles that do so.

Well, devices that take part in recreating sound, and are sensitive to vibration affecting that sound, can have a benefits of weighing more. I think that relies on the design and actual materials more so though, IMHO. I got a new turntable recently that's very light yet I find it built to the highest possible degree and sounds superb. Then you look at Mike's new Saskia table which is ungodly heavy and it is also built extremely well and sounds superb. I really see no relation to actual weight making any difference whatsoever, especially for a RCM.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I appreciate the robust build quality of the KLAudio machine. Overbuilt? Not if it lasts decades. If overbuilding does not ensure greater longevity or performance, from a business perspective it is wrong. I bought the machine for its performance, if a less price machine can do an equivalent job it should win in the marketplace. Even if it were to break down after a number of years and need repair, if the less-price machine stills comes out to cost less, that too is still a win, even though at some inconvenience. As a functional appliance, it need only do its job well, and problem free for some expected period of time.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Here's an example of the benefits of the unit being completely controlled by firmware that can be user updated. I once had the "fill fail" error due to the water level lowering from use/evaporation. I thought "fill fail" sounds like something is broken. I checked today and now there is a new firmware rev which changes the wording on the display.

Version 1.6.7v5
09/08/2019
Change log
Error “Fill Fail” was renamed to “Add Water”
Improved filtering for water level sensors.
Added support for new serial version format.

The one thing I don't like about the Degritter is a separate fan that runs to keep the water cool (under 30C I believe). When the machine finishes cleaning an album this fan still runs until the water is at the correct temp. I would prefer the fan is shut off after XX seconds if another album is not put in for cleaning. To me it doesn't make sense to have a fan run to cool water which is not going to be used again while warm. It's easy enough to push the button to put the machine asleep however.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing