Klaudio Record Cleaning Machine Review

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I am with you on new vinyl such that I stopped buying it!
It's so depressing when you open it and it's noisier than secondhand records you resurrected :(

I do find two things

One is some records need more than one go in KLA to get rid of as much as possible

Occasionally I have had a record I cleaned and then the stylus built up with gunk when I played

My understanding is KLA doesn't do much for organic debris and I wonder if this record loosened by KLA and stylus scooped it up?

Also Myles Astor in re review of KLA suggests redoing after 10 or so plays

Advice I concur with

A

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Yeah, I have to admit I was hoping when I bought the KLA it would somehow replace my RCM, but right away I found that wasn't to be the case. I will have to try the repeat KLA treatment after a few complete listens to a new Lp.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yeah, I have to admit I was hoping when I bought the KLA it would somehow replace my RCM, but right away I found that wasn't to be the case. I will have to try the repeat KLA treatment after a few complete listens to a new Lp.

You need to hand scrub every lp new or otherwise the first time with your favorite fluid, dry the record with micro towels and finish in the KL for clean rinse and static free dry. After that, you only need the KL if the record gets dusty. That's how I do it. Owning both the ADS and KL, the KL rules.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You need to hand scrub every lp new or otherwise the first time with your favorite fluid, dry the record with micro towels and finish in the KL for clean rinse and static free dry. After that, you only need the KL if the record gets dusty. That's how I do it. Owning both the ADS and KL, the KL rules.

I was very impressed with the KL when Christian did a demonstration of the unit and I must say his LPs are extremely quiet. I did once clean one of my LPs with a friend's ADS, and I noticed that there was in increase in surface crackling after the cleaning. I was not overly impressed. I recleaned the LP with my laborious 5-step AIVS/Loricraft method and all was back to normal. Can't explain that strange experience with the ADS, but if I were to buy an ultrasonic cleaner, it would be the KL Audio, and I would certainly keep my Loricraft for pre cleaning, and also perhaps for a final pure water rinse.

I do think that the ultrasonic machines need to be supplemented with some more traditional cleaning methods for ultimate results.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I do think that the ultrasonic machines need to be supplemented with some more traditional cleaning methods for ultimate results.

Exactly for first clean. Ultrasonic will not remove oily fingerprints nor pressing release compounds. Even though the ads has physical contact scrubbing drums, it will not remove the oily residues. Pre scrub with an enzymatic cleaner is required for best results.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Exactly for first clean. Ultrasonic will not remove oily fingerprints nor pressing release compounds. Even though the ads has physical contact scrubbing drums, it will not remove the oily residues. Pre scrub with an enzymatic cleaner is required for best results.

Ultrasonic won't, but ultrasonic+fluid, which is what the Audio Desk does, will.

I know because that's what I use, and it does remove oily fingerprints.

alexandre

number95

May 14, 2014
Guys any practical and effective method of cleaning the water tank after draining? I do not think just draining is enough as there is strong debris/dust at the bottom of the tank, using a towel may help but reaching to the tank via hand is not easy and it is L shaped so not quite sure just plain towel would make it. If one uses soap etc then it needs to be drained much carefully (presumably using water via opened cap of water tank rather than upside) and extensively again to make sure all soap is gone out.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
As mine is "out on loan" I am working from memory and also applying what I do at work when I need to clean a small space. If you are just worried about particles not residue then drain the unit until most of the water if gone. Then use a large syringe with some tubing attached to clean out the particles on the bottom. If you are worried about any residue then you can spray/pour some alcohol into the reservoir and then use the syringe to clean it out. Rinse with water and repeat if necessary. Before I lent it, I had about 200 records thru the machine. Didn't notice much residue after cleaning, but I emptied the reservoir weekly.

Beau

Guys any practical and effective method of cleaning the water tank after draining? I do not think just draining is enough as there is strong debris/dust at the bottom of the tank, using a towel may help but reaching to the tank via hand is not easy and it is L shaped so not quite sure just plain towel would make it. If one uses soap etc then it needs to be drained much carefully (presumably using water via opened cap of water tank rather than upside) and extensively again to make sure all soap is gone out.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I've had great success combining methods- pre-clean using the Monks and finish in the KL. I have also experimented with reversing the process; washing in the KL, but point nozzle drying on the Monks- a trick suggested to me by that clever German audiophile, Syntax. (KL does not recommend this because removing a wet record can drip water onto the internal electronics). I use clean room lab wipes that are non-impregnated to clean the reservoir of the KL; they don't leave lint.
It seems, to me anyway, that the combined cleaning methods have a synergistic effect, with results that better repeated cleanings using one method. I have managed to bring new life to a lot of ye olde English pressings that I would have written off as damaged.
It is more time-consuming and labor intensive than just popping into the toaster, but I like the results.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Waiting for my recently ordered KLAudio. I'll keep my K. Monks as a pre clean with AIVS enzymes cleaning fluid that I found far superior to 4 Steps Walker (less forward mids and less surface noise tics and pops).

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I'm washing until friday with the KLAudio. What a beast ! As I read nearly everything on this item until it comes to the market I go directly to the 5 min washing (asking myself why someone would want to wash as short as 1 or 2 minutes ?).
I find drying for 2 min not allways do the thing especially on thin records.
Have little trouble and ask myself if someone else has the same : on thin records, sometimes the record, during washing time, goes up and down and go laterally from one side to the other... I tried to push it down a bit more but I'm afraid to worn something. It doesn't do this on every thin record.
Someone can help ?

number95

May 14, 2014
I'm washing until friday with the KLAudio. What a beast ! As I read nearly everything on this item until it comes to the market I go directly to the 5 min washing (asking myself why someone would want to wash as short as 1 or 2 minutes ?).
I find drying for 2 min not allways do the thing especially on thin records.
Have little trouble and ask myself if someone else has the same : on thin records, sometimes the record, during washing time, goes up and down and go laterally from one side to the other... I tried to push it down a bit more but I'm afraid to worn something. It doesn't do this on every thin record.
Someone can help ?

Did not try 1-2 mins of washing time but tried 3 mins, it makes an audible difference compared to uncleaned records, 4-5 mins seemed to me also better than 3 mins cleaning. I also have similar findings for drying. Thin records may need 3 mins instead of usual 2 minutes of drying. Also thin records may sometimes slightly move within holding mechanism. Nothing wrong.

I wonder after how many playings, a record may be considered as re-cleaning?

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Did not try 1-2 mins of washing time but tried 3 mins, it makes an audible difference compared to uncleaned records, 4-5 mins seemed to me also better than 3 mins cleaning. I also have similar findings for drying. Thin records may need 3 mins instead of usual 2 minutes of drying. Also thin records may sometimes slightly move within holding mechanism. Nothing wrong.

I wonder after how many playings, a record may be considered as re-cleaning?

Myles found a new cleaning about 10 to 15 playing gives the magic back again

curbfeeler

Apr 19, 2012
Stylus gunk

I haven't noticed gunk on my Lyra Kleos or Grado XTZ after cleaning in the Klaudio.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I get some gunk on my stylus after audiodesk cleaning on several lp's, seems mostly cigarette smoke deposits, on one occasion had some gunk after revirgination. Kleos SL

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
P1050344.jpg40.jpg P1050347.jpg40.jpg 7-inch (45 rpm) LP Adapter for Record Cleaning Machine
Bought myself the 7 and 10 inch adapter for the KLaudio.Very well made and work well!
Stump

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Good stuff Stump

Personally, I feel that the KLA is not the be all and end all.

Where the KLA seems to works its magic is on already reasonably clean lp's. It just wipes the window a bit cleaner to hear more ambience and low level detail.

My standard Hannl vacuum does a better job at cleaning new lp's that suffer from noise such as those clicks and pops, especially noticeable on POS coloured vinyl that seems to be so popular these days.
An example is the new Jamie XX album on black vinyl.
After the KLA there was ticks and pops on track one and track 6 on the first side. Track one seem to have a couple of marks that the KLA did not remove.
This the Hannl scrub and vacuum and the visible marks were gone and almost all the pops and ticks removed that the KLA left behind after a 5 min wash, 3 min dry sequence.
Did the KLA again and noticed a little more ambience/ depth in the record.

Bottom line, if you buy a lot of new vinyl, I am not sure the KLA is the right LP cleaner. I believe you may have to couple this with a vacuum RCM .

About 15-20% of all new records I have pressing faults, noise that can be cleaner up with LP cleaners. But its the stk standard vacuum RCM that does the heavy lifting, not the KLA.

The KLA I use exclusively for the other 80% of the lp's as it is set and forget.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing