Klaudio Record Cleaning Machine Review

Honestly. despite the problems I've had with Audio Desk machines (failed record rotation, failed pump, failed transducer etc) I'm still using them because I'm getting my best results when cleaning first with an Audio Desk, and then doing a second cleaning with a Klaudio.. I call it "double-cleaning" and if you can afford to keep your Audio Desk around, and get a Klaudio, you would have the same double-cleaning option that (almost all) my customers love, and the flexibility of having the "dry only" option available on the Klaudio..

I saw the Fremmer video too, and he says that Clearaudio Double Matrix Sonic uses vibration, but not ultrasonic.. $5,500 retail I think..

Another non-ultrasonic machine I really like is my Loricraft PRC-4 since the "point-zozzle-vacuum" design is really effective, and it's quiet.. It's great for pre-cleaning anything record needs it, before using the Audio Desk and Klaudio machines.. Given the high cost of the Audio Desk cleaning solution, it makes sense to get the most from each batch..

If you haven't already got one, I'd suggest you buy yourself a TDS meter (cheap ones start at $15 to $20) and then you can see exactly how dirty your cleaning solution is, by measuring the "Total Dissolved Solids" in it.. Freshly mixed solution, one vial per 5 liters of distilled water, is about 4ppm.. Just run the Audio Desk for a 1 minute cycle, and dip the TDS meter probe into the cleaning bath to get a reading.. No need to wait for the drying cycle to complete, once it's started and the rollers have moved apart, just turn the machine off and back on again..

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you haven't already got one, I'd suggest you buy yourself a TDS meter (cheap ones start at $15 to $20) and then you can see exactly how dirty your cleaning solution is, by measuring the "Total Dissolved Solids" in it.. Freshly mixed solution, one vial per 5 liters of distilled water, is about 4ppm.. Just run the Audio Desk for a 1 minute cycle, and dip the TDS meter problem into the cleaning bath to get a reading.. No need to wait for the drying cycle to complete, once it's started and the rollers have moved apart, just turn the machine off and back on again..

Would I do this to know when to replace the water?

It just gives you more accurate information about how dirty your records are (or were) since there is no information from the manufacturer about when to change the fluid, except they say "after 100 dirty records" or "200 cleaner ones" which is incredibly vague.. Using a TDS meter gives you a very accurate idea of how dirty the water is getting..

Another tip is to take a Q-Tip and gently swab inside the drain hole (on earlier machines the drain plug unscrews) and you can see the kind of gunk that accumulates on the bottom of the tank.. I bet you'll be shocked! The main Audio Desk machine that I use has been modified with an external pump and drains into a 2 gallon container underneath the machine, so all the dirt settles there, and I have it set up so all the fluid goes through filter fabric first.. The filter fabric is a lot cheaper to replace than the $20 "foam block" from the manufacturer, and all the fluid gets filtered.. If you watch your machine in operation, you'll see that most of the water flows right over the top of the foam filter, straight down into the reservoir, and that's why you get so much gunk in the bottom.. And the machine has no access for the reservoir to be cleaned..

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m currently beta testing a new ultrasonic lp cleaner that has a street release date in early May for under €2k.

Hoping to talk about it soon.

I’m currently beta testing a new ultrasonic lp cleaner that has a street release date in early May for under €2k.

Hoping to talk about it soon.

That's going to be interesting for a lot of people, if you're talking about the new Degritter machine, the 120khz one that's being produced by a group of young guys in Estonia.. I also wanted to be a beta-tester for them, and get a discounted machine, but they were only accepting European customers, and I'm based in the USA..

What's exciting to me about the way they're approaching the launch of their machine, is the willingness to listen to customer feedback for (minor) improvements before production starts, with the goal of using real-world end-user experiences to work out any unanticipated kinks.. It's refreshing to see, and hopefully they'll make the best product possible at the price, something that the Audio Desk would have benefitted from greatly, especially the Pro version, and even the Klaudio machines too..

I haven't had much contact with those guys, but they seem pretty smart to me! Exciting stuff I think, are you happy about being a beta-tester?! :)

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
The KL Audio is one of the best pieces of equipment I own. Every person I know that owned the Audio Desk sold it (or it broke for a 3rd time) and they moved om the KL Audio.

Agreed. Of course that's after my Ascona...;)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

When the water is dirty the screen gets clogged. This causes the pump to make a strange noise, like a vacuum cleaner. That's when I know to change the water.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Of course...it's a beautiful machine. Does yours have the stand as well?

No I have a solid walnut rack I use. Yours is beautiful. I did silver but love your black with rack.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Record Genie, indeed it is the Degritter I’m testing.

Stay tuned for a new thread v soon .

Record Genie, indeed it is the Degritter I’m testing.

Stay tuned for a new thread v soon .

I'll take the :) to mean that you ARE happy about being a tester! Right?

Can't wait to read about your results with the Degritter, I think their choice of 120khz is interesting..

What other ultrasonic record cleaning machines are you comparing it to, Audio Desk, Klaudio, tank based set-up?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Not comparing, RG.

Tbh, I was considering the ADS, at the limit of affordability, the KLA just stupidly overpriced, and of course DIY lash ups.

However the Degritter oppportunuty was the right price at the right time, and like you the gentler ultrasonic frequency USP appealed to me.

Just collecting my thoughts ahead of posting my thread.

As things stand, I’m pretty happy with my experience as beta tester.

Not comparing, RG.

Tbh, I was considering the ADS, at the limit of affordability, the KLA just stupidly overpriced, and of course DIY lash ups.

However the Degritter oppportunuty was the right price at the right time, and like you the gentler ultrasonic frequency USP appealed to me.

Just collecting my thoughts ahead of posting my thread.

As things stand, I’m pretty happy with my experience as beta tester.

It looks like you're in the UK, so different prices than here in the USA..

Audio Desk machines are around $3,500 USD here (USA retail is $4,450 I think, so much higher than Euro/UK prices) and Klaudio machines are $4,800 USD retail here (for the reservoir version) and I've seen the same priced at 5,800 GBP (including 20% VAT Sales tax) so you're right that Klaudio machines are stupidly overpriced in the UK!

I wonder how much is importer's profit, rather than just shipping and duties etc.. Same problem with buying UK made Michell Engineering items here!

I know the Degritter is said to be 2,000 Euro retail, not sure if that's direct, or they'll have distribution/dealers. Wonder what that'll become when sold here in USD?

Good to know you're happy, and I'm looking forward to reading about your Degritter results in your thread! :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What cleaning and drying times do people use for:

1 - New records
2 - Used records

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

1 - New records
2 - Used records

New: 1 minute was, 4 minutes dry
Used: 3 minute wash if not filthy, 4 minutes dry
super dirty: 2 x 5 minutes was cycle, 4 minutes dry

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

1 - New records
2 - Used records

Max...I don't care if the record is new or old. For me...a record once washed may never be washed again for years. I always pre-scrub my records with cleaning solution, then dry them off with micro cloth before it goes into the KL (First clean only...new or old). Been working well for me since 12/2013 when I bought my KL.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Max...I don't care if the record is new or old. For me...a record once washed may never be washed again for years. I always pre-scrub my records with cleaning solution, then dry them off with micro cloth before it goes into the KL (First clean only...new or old). Been working well for me since 12/2013 when I bought my KL.

Which cleaning solution do you use?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
All new and used records: 2 X 5min wash cycle followed by one 4 min dry cycle. Most of my records have also been washed previously on my Loricraft plus 4-step AIVS solution process followed by two super pure water rinses. I recently tried the KLAudio routine followed by the Loricraft routine, and the results seem to be better. I especially like the super pure water rinse at the end. The AIVS solutions seem to remove the mould release compound which I read is not removed by the KLAudio alone.

As does Christian, I just wash once, new and used records, same process, and they go into a new inner sleeve, followed by a demag, and they should last remain clean for years.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Peter, what record demagnetizer do you use?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing