KLAudio returns - new KD-CLN-LP200T RCM

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
KLAudio is back with a new RCM: the KD-CLN-LP200T. Looks like it continues to be made in Korea.

$6000 available at Acoustic Sounds who is the distributor. Sounds like AS had a hand in returning KL to the marketplace.

There is also the KLA LP Loader which works with the LP200T. This lets you process 5 records in succession. $3080

A noise isolation box will be available similar to the original. Reminds me of dot-matrix printers.

-- The new LP200T looks physically robust. Something is made of it having "200W total ultrasonic cleaning power". Not sure how this translates in effectiveness for this particular machine because tank volume is not specified. (The Elmasonic P120H tank operates at 330W (~100W/gallon) with peak power of 1320W.)

-- KL/AS does not say transducer frequency. Iirc the orginal operated at 40Hz. If this new model had dual frequency you bet it would be advertised.

-- A cooling unit (fan) is an option to maintain water temperature. Cooling unit kicks in when water temp reaches 35°C. A nice feature.

-- Includes an external water pump and filter. We are not given any information about the filter.

-- Wash and dry cycles independently adjustable 0-5 minutes.

-- Water supply available via an external tank with a filter. This looks like a plus for easier tank changing.

This new model retains what imo is the original's basic weakness - it does not allow the use of anything beside water.. Ultrasonic action alone is effective, but to get a record really clean some chemistry is needed to lower surface tension and gain some detergency - or so says my years of experience with a variety of record cleaning methods.

I was surprised the manufacturer states:

Fill the reservoir with tap or bottled drinking
water to about 75-90%.

Distilled water is not recommended, because
the electrical conductivity may be too low for the
cleaner to begin the wash cycle.

The original KLAudio machine had many fans. I suspect this new machine will be successful although it now has more marketplace competition than previously. Welcome back KLAudio.

Unboxing video:

Attachments

• Klaudio_Manual_kd-cln-lp200t_d100eng.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
That loader scares me! I would be nervous putting valuable records in it initially.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have my KD CLN LP 200 bought 4 years ago at 2.800 euro in shop of my friend that is working perfectly

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I wonder now if they will do service of the original machine?

Good question. They don't mention support for prior models, but easy enough to find out...

They do have the new machine on their site, which, btw, does give us its volume, 1.6 gallons. So in terms of wattage/volume it is powerful.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I thought the original required distilled water? That is what I have been using for years!

Edit: All the reviews of the old machine have indicated Distilled water (or RO water) is recommended. I wonder what has changed?

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Edit: All the reviews of the old machine have indicated Distilled water (or RO water) is recommended. I wonder what has changed?

Tap water, no chemicals. It does make you wonder.

The feeder that lets you process 5 records in succession is a touch scary. I like cleaning 5 records at a time without a machine handling them.

E_KL_LOADER__142870__05022019015100-7429.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Tap water, no chemicals. It does make you wonder.

The feeder that lets you process 5 records in succession is a touch scary. I like cleaning 5 records at a time without a machine handling them.

View attachment 94549
Tap water would be cheaper and simpler, certainly but I'm happy with how it works now so tap water seems scary. They do sell a filter to treat the tap water so it would seem not all tap water is suitable? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
They do sell a filter to treat the tap water so it would seem not all tap water is suitable?

This may be more than you want to know.

The quality of tap water varies varies based on locale. The amount of non-volatile reside in water can range from 0.028 parts per million with ultra-pure water to 1600 ppm for poor tap water. Purified water ranges 2.5-10 ppm. Water that dries on a record will leave its residue on the record, so the cleaner the water, the cleaner the grooves. Iirc Neil sugests that purified water is fine for cleaning records and water that is cleaner than that does not make an appreciable difference for the cost

You can get some but not all information about water quality using a $15 TDS meter to assess total dissolved solids. It measures the charged mineral content of the water (calcium magnesium, etc.) It will not measure non-charged contaminants (lead, arsenic, surfactants, etc.)

The KLA filter seems kinda pricey, eh? No information on the porosity of the filter or whether it is rated as nominal or absolute. The housing looks a bit small for a high performance filter.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I thought the original required distilled water? That is what I have been using for years!

hmmm yes Howie. I will continue to use distilled water, especially after mine has been fixed back to almost new, although some have said tap water has more " life" to the sound after cleaning :rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tap water is natural

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
If you use spring water you get cleaner highs

• Haha
Reactions: RussR

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have written to Klaudio to ask them the reason for recommending tap water over distilled in contrast to their old machines which recommended the exact opposite. Will report back.

Reactions: XV-1

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
From a discussion I had with a new user of the KLAudio 200T -

• Wow

Varma

Feb 22, 2011
This is the craziest 7 inch adaptor I have seen. US$262 for a piece of shitty plastic. Almost makes cable elevators look cheap!

I use the adaptor from Degritter which was still too expensive but much cheaper.

KLAudio adapters are not made of plastic. It's a brass adapter as mentioned in their website "Vinyl is safely held in place with three locking tabs in this anodized aluminum and brass adapter".

I used to own both 7 and 10 inch adapters, they are of very high quality.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I have written to Klaudio to ask them the reason for recommending tap water over distilled in contrast to their old machines which recommended the exact opposite. Will report back.

M&S article appears to answer this nearly to complete satisfaction. Suspect you will receive a nearly identical reply from Klaudio.

The new KD-CLN-LP200T brings 200 Watts of ultrasonic cleaning power to your LP collection. Using patent-pending technology, the toughest grime and dust is easily removed without the risk of physical scrubbers or the need for detergent. Drying is also handled safely with blowers. Simply connect an external water source and insert your phonograph record, and the rest is automated.

This machine draws water from an external reservoir. The included container should be filled with distilled water and located on the floor beneath the cleaner. Alternatively, this model supports a direct plumbing connection with Klaudio's tap water kit (sold seperately), which is especially suited for high-volume vinyl cleaning.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Directly plumbed to a water source would be great, and to a drain for that matter. Like the espresso nuts do. :D That is, if tap water really is a good way to clean records. I guess they're mixing it with some distilled water, but still. TDS is going to be very non-zero and tap water content is all over the place depending on locality. It seems questionable and I don't see a satisfactory explanation in that blurb.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
KLAudio adapters are not made of plastic. It's a brass adapter as mentioned in their website "Vinyl is safely held in place with three locking tabs in this anodized aluminum and brass adapter".

I used to own both 7 and 10 inch adapters, they are of very high quality.
I was being facetious. But I'm still not paying $262 bucks for something like that. The Degritter one works fine in the Klaudio anyway.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing