krell kav 2250 Buzz on start up

gwernaffield

Feb 4, 2019
krell kav 2250 problem transformer buzz, the transformer will not tighten up it has become loose , is there a way of fixing this ?

gwernaffield

Feb 4, 2019
talked to krell they changed the design of the transformers , as they can come loose , but also you cannot tighten them back up the nut is held captive in glue, all i can think of is that over time this bond breaks, causing the transformer to come loose, it is a very Bad design flaw, as the transformer is only held in place by one big bolt , as you tighten it up you can feel the nut pulling out of the transformer it self , Krell dont make replacements as they upgraded the design , and changed the way the transformer is held in place ,

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
talked to krell they changed the design of the transformers , as they can come loose , but also you cannot tighten them back up the nut is held captive in glue, all i can think of is that over time this bond breaks, causing the transformer to come loose, it is a very Bad design flaw, as the transformer is only held in place by one big bolt , as you tighten it up you can feel the nut pulling out of the transformer it self , Krell dont make replacements as they upgraded the design , and changed the way the transformer is held in place ,
It is still great info. We know exactly what is wrong. Are you handy with tools? Or, do you know someone who is?

A fix should be actually pretty easy. you need to take the transformer out and glue the nut inside again. you may use some sort of epoxy to do that since the transformer is probably epoxy-filled itself.

Can you post some pictures of the transformer?

gwernaffield

Feb 4, 2019
It is still great info. We know exactly what is wrong. Are you handy with tools? Or, do you know someone who is?

A fix should be actually pretty easy. you need to take the transformer out and glue the nut inside again. you may use some sort of epoxy to do that since the transformer is probably epoxy-filled itself.

Can you post some pictures of the transformer?
i am going to take the transformer out this weekend , it is very heavy , i think it is about70% of the weight of the whole 30kg unit , the fix seems to be to drill a hole though the glue and then use a fixing kit , but and a big but you cannot see were the drill hole is going , Absolute sounds, say they can fix it , but if there is a buzz they can rewind the transformer , how ever they wont commit to a cost , or if they drill it and go through the wire you would have to pay for the rewind, i dont think this is as simple as just take the transformer out , although every thing is marked in the unit , you will have to uncouple or de-solder several wires , internal krell.jpg this is what i see when the unit is opened up , ( picture off the web)

gwernaffield

Feb 4, 2019
after speaking to Raymond from Krell and being told they dont have any transformers to fit this 2250 and there was a way they can fix it at a hell off a cost , being told in an email HI end means HI Cost of repairs,i Talked to Absolute sounds , who said they know what the problem is but would not commit to a cost , and if there was still any buzz they would have to rewind the transformer , i have left it as it is, too many times a small repair ends up costing an arm and a leg , why AS cannot give you a cost on what seems like a well known repair on this unit is beyond me, they would not even give a cost to rewind the transformer if needed,

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
after speaking to Raymond from Krell and being told they dont have any transformers to fit this 2250 and there was a way they can fix it at a hell off a cost , being told in an email HI end means HI Cost of repairs,i Talked to Absolute sounds , who said they know what the problem is but would not commit to a cost , and if there was still any buzz they would have to rewind the transformer , i have left it as it is, too many times a small repair ends up costing an arm and a leg , why AS cannot give you a cost on what seems like a well known repair on this unit is beyond me, they would not even give a cost to rewind the transformer if needed,
A big part of repair cost is the responsibility of the repairman for anything that can wrong. It is a shame they didn't provide any estimation. Maybe they don't know exactly what to expect? Have you talked to AS about getting a new, custom-made transformer? It may be cheaper than rewinding the old one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing