Krell KAV280P

Biggreensofa

May 10, 2020
Hi Guys, I'm new here.
I have a fault with my Krell KAV-280P preamp.
For the last 3 years, every couple of months, it went into fault mode on start up, giving 3 horizontal bars on the LED display. Switching it on/off a couple of times always fixed it.
Until now, when it goes into this fault mode after the start-up sequence every time. I've had to bypass it for now, but I'd really like to get it working again.
I'm a guitar valve amp designer so don't have a problem poking about inside it, but any technical info or tips would be really helpful,
Cheers,
Andy.

Attachments

• 20200413_162631.jpg
    20200413_162631.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200413_162720.jpg
    20200413_162720.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 4

slashedzero

Jul 2, 2020
I had the same some years ago with mine and was in contact with Krell about it. It started after stacking my 280p on top of another Krell device (think my HTS 7.1). This is not a good idea as per heat. Looking at your picture, with the 280p on top of the Marantz, you may be having similar issues. Best to never stack Krell equipment - it gets hot (and heat rises)!

Biggreensofa

May 10, 2020
Hi Slashedzero, thanks for the info. I'll try to isolate the Krell and see how it performs,
Cheers,
Andy.

markhull

Feb 3, 2021
I just my Krell KAV-280p the other day. It worked for about 5 minutes before it went into shutdown mode. If you put it in Home Theater Bypass it works but no volume. I took everything out of Home Theater Bypass and now it does not even get past the 3 dots of death.

It is now in the hospital. I hope they can fix it. Any other thoughts BTW- my unit was not stacked on anything. It was top shelf of stand. Previous owner could have done anything. He has stopped talking to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing