Krell Vanguard Amplifier Integraded Change Line Voltage

cocuroci

Mar 18, 2021
Hi,
I have an integrated KRELL VANGUARD amplifier, and I need to change the voltage from 120 to 230v.

I opened the equipment and noticed that it has two selector switches, SW1 and SW2, the SW2 switch is in position 1 and SW1 is in position 2.

What should I do to change to 230v, switch SW2 to position 2?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hi,
I have an integrated KRELL AVANGARD amplifier, and I need to change the voltage from 120 to 230v.

I opened the equipment and noticed that it has two selector switches, SW1 and SW2, the SW2 switch is in position 1 and SW1 is in position 2.

What should I do to change to 230v, switch SW2 to position 2?

Thanks!!!
You probably mean Vanguard ? If you bought it outside your 230 V dealer network it probably has a chip installed that will only let it work on original frequency (60 HZ ?) this chip can be changed by your local dealer for a high fee :rolleyes: Had to do this on Fpb 700cx and KPS 25 sc upon importing from the US to the EU years ago. The internal voltage switches also need to be set correctly, but it will not solve your problem. Alternatively you can buy a adjustable power regenerator that takes 230 V 50HZ input and delivers 120v 60 HZ output, i used a version of the PS Audio P500 on my source equipment for years.

cocuroci

Mar 18, 2021
Yes, Vanguard meant, sorry it was the spell checker. My network here is 230v 60hz, today I have a conditioner / transformer that receives 230v 60hz and supplies me with both 230v 60hz and 120v 60hz outputs, so at first I would have no problem with the frequency, I just want to connect the amplifier at 230v per I know that this improves the performance and sound quality of it.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, Vanguard meant, sorry it was the spell checker. My network here is 230v 60hz, today I have a conditioner / transformer that receives 230v 60hz and supplies me with both 230v 60hz and 120v 60hz outputs, so at first I would have no problem with the frequency, I just want to connect the amplifier at 230v per I know that this improves the performance and sound quality of it.
One setting of the switches will be for 100 V, i have never hurt 100 V equipment with 120 V. The 2 last settings will probably be 220 V and 230 V. I you feed the Krell 120 V from the transformer you should be able to find the 100V setting, it should be working with 120 V. The 2 last settings should be OK with 230V main power, if the frequency is wrong it will say " frequency error". Good luck ;) Where in the world are you ?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You should get the proper information - putting 230V in equipment in the 110, 115 or 120V position will probably destroy it!

If you are a skilled person open the amplifier, connect a cable with a very low AC voltage (around 3V, for example) to the secondary and using an AC voltmeter look for the switch position that gives you the highest voltage readout - it is the 230V position.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You should get the proper information - putting 230V in equipment in the 110, 115 or 120V position will probably destroy it!

If you are a skilled person open the amplifier, connect a cable with a very low AC voltage (around 3V, for example) to the secondary and using an AC voltmeter look for the switch position that gives you the highest voltage readout - it is the 230V position.
If you read my post Francisco he has to eliminate the 120 V and 100 V positions first before supplying 230 V. You do have a knack for making things more complicated and theoretical/technical than necessary :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you read my post Francisco he has to eliminate the 120 V and 110V positions first before supplying 230 V. You do have a knack for making things more complicated and theoretical/technical than necessary :rolleyes:
If you have two switches you have four theoretical positions then three to eliminate - and I was not addressing your post, just answering the OP.

BTW your technique is foolish in my theoretical/technical opinion. And I can suggest another safe way of doing it using a variac ... ;)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
If you have two switches you have four theoretical positions then three to eliminate - and I was not addressing your post, just answering the OP.

BTW your technique is foolish in my theoretical/technical opinion. ;)
The first position is already eliminate, it is his current 120V setting ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The first position is already eliminate, it is his current 120V setting ;)
OK, three to go. Do you know about Murphy's law? It also applies to Krell electronics. ;)

Reactions: analogsa

cocuroci

Mar 18, 2021
I did the following test, opened the amplifier, and with the use of a multimeter I measured the impedance on the AC connector in the current position (110 / 120v), the law gave 3.4, so I changed the switch to keep the two positions in 2, and I went back to measure, in this case the measurement gave ZERO, I moved the two keys to position 1, and in this case the measurement gave 3.5. That is, the information that the two switches in position 2 would be 220 / 230v I do not know if it is correct, for safety I did not connect the amplifier to power with the switches in that position, but I imagine that it would not work for the impedance measurement to be zero. Anyway, I still don't know how to change the voltage :(.

volume_up
content_copy

star_border

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I think this one is for you micro ;)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Maybe Krell have changed switch configuration ? Here is a old thread dealing with the same issue:

corelement

Oct 21, 2022
Hi, I am in the same position as op but for India. @cocu did you have any luck figuring this out?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi, I am in the same position as op but for India. @cocu did you have any luck figuring this out?

Welcome to the What's Best Forums.
I hope you can find a solution.

Cheers,
Christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing