Kuzma Airline Arm - Experience called upon.

Apr 4, 2022
Hi everyone,

A little while ago I had acquired a Kuzma Airline and when mentioning it to an esteemed and well-respected turntable designer (who's name I won't mention) his comment, while not word-for-word was 'If you want to bend cantilevers on your cartridges, go right ahead!' it was a comment that left me a little stunned. My thought immediately went to 'I can't believe that Franc Kuzma's top of the line (then the Safir arrived...) tonearm would dare to have an issue' and 'why haven't I read this elsewhere, especially given that it's been a known quantity for quite sometime'.

Anyway, if any members who have owned one of these, or have experience enough to chime in and either dispel or confirm this, I would greatly appreciate hearing from.

Cheers,

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
My friend and distributor of Kuzma has most every Kuzma tonearm in stock and playing including: 4 pt, 9-11 and 14" as well as the first saphire in NA and air line.

I have not seen bad behaviour from an airline. However, I have used linear air bearing tonearms and they are not for the faint of heart. Any dirt on the bearing or water in the air line from the atmosphere can snap a cantilever in an instant. You have to take special care to cleanliness and filtration on an air bearing arm.

I used a highly modified Mapleknoll and it was a roller coaster.

Your manufacturer contact may have had bad experiences with linear air bearing arms. It can be done successfully- you just need to take a bunch of precautions and additional care. Its not a set and forget system.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi everyone,

A little while ago I had acquired a Kuzma Airline and when mentioning it to an esteemed and well-respected turntable designer (who's name I won't mention) his comment, while not word-for-word was 'If you want to bend cantilevers on your cartridges, go right ahead!' it was a comment that left me a little stunned. My thought immediately went to 'I can't believe that Franc Kuzma's top of the line (then the Safir arrived...) tonearm would dare to have an issue' and 'why haven't I read this elsewhere, especially given that it's been a known quantity for quite sometime'.

Anyway, if any members who have owned one of these, or have experience enough to chime in and either dispel or confirm this, I would greatly appreciate hearing from.

Cheers,
TOTAL POPPYCOCK !
The only issue I have had was that the inline filters needed replacing as the original ones started leaking some 5 yrs ago, I have been using my airline for over 12 years with zero issues, a superb arm that has all the important parameters for precise adjustments. Now that goldmund T3F linear tracker was a different matter!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have two friends who have the big Kuzma DC XL turntable. Each of these friends has the Airline. Both of these friends love the Airline.

Reactions: Be Quiet...Listen
Apr 4, 2022
Thanks the contributions everyone.

I'm still a little miffed about that statement ???

matakana - what has been your experience with regards to set-up and maintenance? And have you developed preferences for cart brands or models in you time with the arm?

Ron - same question I guess. Did they find quirks in set-up and prefer any particular cartridge?

Cheers!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I never heard either of them report quirks in set-up.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fremer mentions in his review, that high mass low compliance carts are a must for this arm, and due to the lack of damping on this type of linear tracking arm, high compliance carts run the risk of the cantilever being snapped off. https://www.stereophile.com/tonearms/804kuzma/index.html

You can directly go to start of second page or read up till there.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Have had my Kuzma airbearing since 2012. Compressor issues after 7 years, replaced with a Jun-Air with much larger airtank vessel. This sits in my garage which is heated.
After market air dryers, timers solenoid to do auto 2 second bleed off every hour.
Plus three part air dryer in music room to better spec than the original.
This set up now has served me well.
Bent stylus cantilever has never happened in my case.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
With the additional up front cost, additional space required (for the Compressor & filters etc.) critical set-up accuracy and time to achieve it, maintenance cost and time and time to look after an Kuzma Airline arm on a day to day basis, would be interesting if anybody has the experience in doing A to B comparisons between the Kuzma Airline vs the Kuzma 4Point 14" and Kuzma 4Point 11", and whether (taking into account all of the above) the Airline is all worth it (especially as the two 4Points are exceptional arms (loving my 4Point 11')) ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With the additional up front cost, additional space required (for the Compressor & filters etc.) critical set-up accuracy and time to achieve it, maintenance cost and time and time to look after an Kuzma Airline arm on a day to day basis, would be interesting if anybody has the experience in doing A to B comparisons between the Kuzma Airline vs the Kuzma 4Point 14" and Kuzma 4Point 11", and whether (taking into account all of the above) the Airline is all worth it (especially as the two 4Points are exceptional arms (loving my 4Point 11')) ?

Well if that was a slam dunk no one would have bought the airline. Just like no one gets into analog and sticks only to digital

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Well if that was a slam dunk no one would have bought the airline. Just like no one gets into analog and sticks only to digital
That's true 'bonzo75'.

And most of us that are into analogue (mainly vinyl) more than digital know the trade-offs and benefits that it gives at the expense of being more complicated etc. and on the verge of being 'a labour of love'.

But what I was assessing, is the trade-off of one type of component i.e. the tonearm and asking what additional merits does the Kuzma Airline give over the two (11' & 14") Kuzma 4Points (especially as the 14" & 11" 4Points are such great tonearms to set-up, use on a day to day basis, relatively maintenance free etc.) ?

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Fremer mentions in his review, that high mass low compliance carts are a must for this arm, and due to the lack of damping on this type of linear tracking arm, high compliance carts run the risk of the cantilever being snapped off. https://www.stereophile.com/tonearms/804kuzma/index.html

You can directly go to start of second page or read up till there.
Franc Kuzma was quick to respond to this, by including a silicon trough and a level line through the arm tube for easier levelling. I have kept trying the trough with different cartridges over the years but prefer in all cases not to be bothered using, taking care on its removal and storage.I have never encountered a broken cantilever yet although my Deccas are cantileverless by coincidence/design LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Thanks the contributions everyone.

I'm still a little miffed about that statement ???

matakana - what has been your experience with regards to set-up and maintenance? And have you developed preferences for cart brands or models in you time with the arm?

Ron - same question I guess. Did they find quirks in set-up and prefer any particular cartridge?

Cheers!
Setup like any precision instrument takes experience, knowledge and skill, it all depends on ones self capabilities. I have tried quite a few MC in the Airline without issue ,it so happens I prefer the 50 odd year old MM Deccas I have now to anything I have tried, contrary to poular belief they do perform flawlessly and no fancy SUTties etc to bother with .IMHO the airline is a sinch to use, you just need to check over the compressor for moisure content in the filter and change the oil now and again depending on use, iam still using the sil-air one as supplied but with new air/moisture filters w ( as spirit would say) air pressure gauge close to the TT, the compressor is below in the garage. I have looked at very quite oiless ones for around £300 @ 25 litre but just not happened yet.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
That's true 'bonzo75'.

And most of us that are into analogue (mainly vinyl) more than digital know the trade-offs and benefits that it gives at the expense of being more complicated etc. and on the verge of being 'a labour of love'.

But what I was assessing, is the trade-off of one type of component i.e. the tonearm and asking what additional merits does the Kuzma Airline give over the two (11' & 14") Kuzma 4Points (especially as the 14" & 11" 4Points are such great tonearms to set-up, use on a day to day basis, relatively maintenance free etc.) ?
If you have a air bearing tonearm- Airline or otherwise. You need to have a clean , dry environment for the compressor in conditioned airspace- no attics or basements. You need air filters and water separators- multi stage one's at that. If your'e suitably neurotic you will want a series of tanks after the compressor to provide cushion to the air supply.

You need to keep your room and bearing surfaces meticulously clean.

I'm going to hear the Saphire this morning- again- and the Airline, 4 point 11 & 14" are right there next to it.

The 14" 4 point has such command of record it is almost bombastic compared to my 11" with Kondo wire. The Saphire has more drive than even the 14" with sooo much control of the lower registers that it is not over bearing ... but it requires a reset to your brain.

The Airline has subtle delicacy that unique to the arm which is available in a fully developed product- you need commitment for it though.

I'm as crazy as anyone here for many decades, I am not interested in air bearing arms anymore regardless of their performance advantages. I am seriously considering the Saphire. It will be over here for a test spin on my system soon enough.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
IMHO air bearing linear tracking arms sound a little bit soft or less dynamic. I think it’s due to sponge like effect of the air in the air bearing. It’s damping the arm tube. I hear a similar effect with silicone damping on pivoted arms too. For me an air bearing linear arm or silicone damping chamber is a no no.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
A little while ago I had acquired a Kuzma Airline and when mentioning it to an esteemed and well-respected turntable designer (who's name I won't mention) his comment, while not word-for-word was 'If you want to bend cantilevers on your cartridges, go right ahead!'
when viewed head on, the cantilever will 'bend' or be askew (not at 90 degrees to the record surface) while playing. Usually results from a cartridge/arm compliance mismatch. its a case of the tail trying to wag the dog, even 'tho the bearing is frictionless, you have high tip forces at the stylus end moving a considerable mass laterally. what also works against you are skating forces the will pull on the arm inward or outward depending on any bias there is in the system. My present air bearing linear trackers are both of the short coupled variety with short arms and low mass carriages (SYD Aeroarm and Versa Dynamics). those designs both work very well with low-med compliance carts. the downside to these designs is the bass weight, not quite as good as a top notch pivoted arm.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
If you have a air bearing tonearm- Airline or otherwise. You need to have a clean , dry environment for the compressor in conditioned airspace- no attics or basements.
My first Versa table was a 1.0 I bought was a dealers personal 'table, he had constant moisture issues in the airline, water would spray out of the arm tube. he thought it was because he lived near the ocean, he kept the compressor in a colder part of the house. After I installed it in my system I kept the compressor box in the same environment as my listening room (temperature, humidity) and never ever had a problem with excess moisture.

Reactions: Kcin

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
My first Versa table was a 1.0 I bought was a dealers personal 'table, he had constant moisture issues in the airline, water would spray out of the arm tube. he thought it was because he lived near the ocean, he kept the compressor in a colder part of the house. After I installed it in my system I kept the compressor box in the same environment as my listening room (temperature, humidity) and never ever had a problem with excess moisture.
humidity is not related with the existence of water in the compressed air. even if the compressor is used in a dry climate there will still be some water inside the compressed air tank that needs to be drained. high compression cause vapor in the air to condense and it becomes water with a lot of heat. this is the opposite reaction of freon in the thermostatic expansion valve found in A/C systems.

normally compressed air tanks are installed vertically and they are fed from the bottom with high pressure air and the water accumulated inside is drained periodically. draining water also cause some compressed air to escape. the so called hissing sound mentioned in the stereophile review is probably associated with this process. high pressure air supply line is normally connected to top of the tank in order to prevent any water still left inside the tank to reach any component that is fed with high pressure air. water spraying out of the air bearing or existence of moisture in air tubes might be caused horizontal placement of the tank. additionally when high pressure air passes through small holes on the air bearing (nozzles) it cools the tube that it's riding on and makes it sweat like a soda can out of fridge in a summer day.

Last edited:

108CY

May 4, 2013
I have been using and playing with air bearing arms from the age of 12 I remember after school mounting a Eminent Technology ET2 on a Alphason Sonata and being blow away even then by what it did in terms just sounding so un mechanical with a natural sense of air and space I went on to build surge tanks and mess around with compressors and refrigeration and learnt how to improve bass performance. Since those very humble days I have pretty much owned every air bearing arm ever built and yes some are better than others one thing for sure they are not for those who are not dedicated to them they require a great deal of patience and set up to get the best out of them. I personally overall prefer them for my own listening but I still enjoy many pivoted arms.

I recently helped my good friend Adam to mount a Kuzma Airline on a Thorens TD124, and with a suitable cartridge of course everything has to be considered , it is no doubt finest I have ever heard a TD124 ever just so incredibly musical and well balanced and yes it does bass too he has been using the Airline now with the 124 for over 5 months with no hassle what so ever. And sound for pound Adam not doubt has got value for money and he could have spent so much more and not got anywhere the performance but yes he has to stay dedicated but he has not the knack of it quite quickly I have suggested a few times I will take the Airline back and give him something else and he always responds no way as he knows its performance is very special.

I have been setting up the Airline pretty much from its introduction to the market and had very little issues while we can all argue on sound I will always describe it as a reliable performer and on the right turntable with the right cartridge and some extensive tweaking to the tonearm cable it is capable of magical performance. Adam is a good friend so I lent him many many pivoted arms to try on the 124 but there is no doubt the Airline does take the 124 to another level as I can get delicacy scale and nuance out of this combination and takes the crudeness away from the turntable. There is a natural synergy with the one 124 and airline unfortunately not many will be bothered to try it or have the persistence to get the best out of it.

The tonearm cable is a serious issue as Kuzma tend to wire the tonearm with a continuous run of cable to phono plugs and severely I mean very severely reduce its performance especially in the bass. Most Airlines out of the box sound mediocre in my opinion as do a lot of Air bearings but with the right amount of persistenceI can obtain seriously good bass performance out of the Airline with a truly magical midrange with adding cable enhancers that I have created but using very large conductors. So for those interested the Airline is no doubt capable in delivering the goods but like most air bearings they will get dismissed and for some short lived in their systems as they do come with a degree of pain that many will not want. I have also found them very crucial to types of arm board and more can be done to increase performance when this is taken into account. I still think for many who do not require the headache required a good pivoted arm certainly makes more sense for ease of use in fact while I have air bearings everywhere I can see 15 while I write I have been mostly using pivoted arms myself for the past year due to wanting a simple life because of my health. In my heart I will always be an Air bearing Man and for me the finest way to listen to my records but yes it comes with a price.

Last edited:

westlower

May 29, 2019
Mik indeed, kindly held my hand through the instillation and set up of the Kuzma Air line on my TD124 MKII.
It was a daunting prospect at first and Wife acceptance factor of = 0...:rolleyes:

With Mik's expertise and vast experience it's been a dream to use and next to no maintenance to date. I am not fastidiously clean either but dust hasn't been a factor to date. Foot fall is a problem on a suspended floor, so that is a big consideration, but Mik assures me this is so when using any linear tracker. Bounding dogs are not a great combo..

So a pretty unique approach, Thorens 124 MKII and the Kuzma Air line and I have to say I am so pleased with the results.

As Mik mentions in his post the tonearm cable is a compromise on performance but one which can be navigated with some thought.
Along with the many other small mods to the turntable (thanks Tom Montesquieu) and the wonderful LFD cables (it all matters!) the TD124 and Air line combo gives authority, timing, pitch stability, a mid range which I think is just wonderful especially with horns and the air and space that I assume the Air line excels at.

Yes it's a faff sometimes to switch the compressor on (resides in another room and only occasionally turn it off for a rest) but I actually enjoy the ritual, along with selecting a record, all part of the Vinyl replay experience.

A big public thank you to Mik. He introduced me to an avenue of performance I never thought i'd achieve from my collection.
I thought he was bonkers when he suggested the pairing. I am glad he did.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing