Kuzma Airline Arm - Experience called upon.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
humidity is not related with the existence of water in the compressed air. even if the compressor is used in a dry climate there will still be some water inside the compressed air tank that needs to be drained. high compression cause vapor in the air to condense and it becomes water with a lot of heat. this is the opposite reaction of freon in the thermostatic expansion valve found in A/C systems.

normally compressed air tanks are installed vertically and they are fed from the bottom with high pressure air and the water accumulated inside is drained periodically. draining water also cause some compressed air to escape. the so called hissing sound mentioned in the stereophile review is probably associated with this process. high pressure air supply line is normally connected to top of the tank in order to prevent any water still left inside the tank to reach any component that is fed with high pressure air. water spraying out of the air bearing or existence of moisture in air tubes might be caused horizontal placement of the tank. additionally when high pressure air passes through small holes on the air bearing (nozzles) it cools the tube that it's riding on and makes it sweat like a soda can out of fridge in a summer day.
the Versa 'tables used a tankless system. It centered around a 1/4 hp Gast industrial pump to provide high pressure to both the tonearm and platter bearings and vacuum for the record hold-down. The 1.0 had a control box meant to be placed about 6' from the table and between the 50' of airline. IIRC the control box had a condenser coil in it with a cup and piece of foam to absorb water dripped from the coil end. When it was powered down a solenoid would release the back pressure and purge the system.

The SYD Aeroarm uses the same jun-air/sil-air/silent aire pumps the Kuzma does which are popular with airbrush artist. They come with a tank w/ integral regulator/filter. I double up and have a duplicate filter/air dyer 2' from the tonearm inlet, similar to the Kuzma.

Reactions: mtemur

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
If you have a air bearing tonearm- Airline or otherwise. You need to have a clean , dry environment for the compressor in conditioned airspace- no attics or basements. You need air filters and water separators- multi stage one's at that. If your'e suitably neurotic you will want a series of tanks after the compressor to provide cushion to the air supply.

You need to keep your room and bearing surfaces meticulously clean.

I'm going to hear the Saphire this morning- again- and the Airline, 4 point 11 & 14" are right there next to it.

The 14" 4 point has such command of record it is almost bombastic compared to my 11" with Kondo wire. The Saphire has more drive than even the 14" with sooo much control of the lower registers that it is not over bearing ... but it requires a reset to your brain.

The Airline has subtle delicacy that unique to the arm which is available in a fully developed product- you need commitment for it though.

I'm as crazy as anyone here for many decades, I am not interested in air bearing arms anymore regardless of their performance advantages. I am seriously considering the Saphire. It will be over here for a test spin on my system soon enough.
Hi Kcin,
How did you get on with demoing the Kuzma Safir9, Airline, 4Point 11" and 14" last year ?
Which one did you think was the best ?
Did you purchase any of them ?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Most members of the WhatsBestForum Orange County Audiophile Group are friendly with a reviewer for Positive Feedback as well as a German hi-fi magazine, and are familiar with his former system.

On his big Kuzma DC-XL I had the opportunity to hear directly the 4Point versus the Airline. I preferred the Airline. For me, it was another data point that there is something about linear trackers -- they just simply work for me on vocals. (To the extent there is a consensus that linear-tracking tonearms give up something in bass power and extension to pivoting tonearms, that may very well be the case, but the vocals are more important to me.)

So, I personally preferred the Airline to the 4Point for my favorite music, but I could very happily live with either one for the rest of my life.

I think the ideal scenario is to have one pivoting tonearm and one linear-tracking tonearm in one's system.

Reactions: Lagonda

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Most members of the WhatsBestForum Orange County Audiophile Group are friendly with a reviewer for Positive Feedback as well as a German hi-fi magazine, and are familiar with his former system.

On his big Kuzma DC-XL I had the opportunity to hear directly the 4Point versus the Airline. I preferred the Airline. For me, it was another data point that there is something about linear trackers -- they just simply work for me on vocals. (To the extent there is a consensus that linear-tracking tonearms give up something in bass power and extension to pivoting tonearms, that may very well be the case, but the vocals are more important to me.)

So, I personally preferred the Airline to the 4Point for my favorite music, but I could very happily live with either one for the rest of my life.

I think the ideal scenario is to have one pivoting tonearm and one linear-tracking tonearm in one's system.
Thank you Ron for your very informative post. Very much appreciated.
Yes, your last sentence is what I am thinking in the future for my XL DC i.e. a Kuzma Airline to go with my 4Point 11"

Reactions: Ron Resnick

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
the Versa 'tables used a tankless system. It centered around a 1/4 hp Gast industrial pump to provide high pressure to both the tonearm and platter bearings and vacuum for the record hold-down. The 1.0 had a control box meant to be placed about 6' from the table and between the 50' of airline. IIRC the control box had a condenser coil in it with a cup and piece of foam to absorb water dripped from the coil end. When it was powered down a solenoid would release the back pressure and purge the system.

The SYD Aeroarm uses the same jun-air/sil-air/silent aire pumps the Kuzma does which are popular with airbrush artist. They come with a tank w/ integral regulator/filter. I double up and have a duplicate filter/air dyer 2' from the tonearm inlet, similar to the Kuzma.
Puroagave, thank you so much for the mention of those pump brands. I've been using a bog standard Hailea aquarium pump for my Terminator air LT arm, which is both very noisy and I believe a little "uneven". I was only aware of the Jun Air but dismissed it because it's too high pressure for my purposes. My Terminator LT is low flow, requiring not more than 20l/min, and no Jun Air model goes this "gentle".
However the Sil Air Werther 15A silent airbrush model looks right up my alley, at 17-25 l/min, and using a refrigerator pump promising lowest noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dentdog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing