Kuzma SAFIR 9

thekong

May 10, 2012
I can use some help on VTA adjusting. My dealer and I got it 100% dialed in for 180g records. Listening, measuring, adjusting, listening until we both agreed that's the spot. It's a wonderful arm and clearly can hear very small changes.

With out any markings on the cylinder that holds the arm, how can I know when I move this for a 200g that I can return it to the exact spot it's at? Adjusting is easy, but repeating the place you were at seems hard. This is where the 4p shined. Seems like Kuzma needs to etch some markings, he did it for Azimuth, so why not markings for repeating VTA adjustments?

I am looking into precision calipers to measure...such as this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IG46NL...40&linkCode=osi&tag=shopperz_origin33-20&th=1

View attachment 126186

Hi jfrech, I have think of an easier way for you to consider. On the 4Point, you have what Kuzma called the “height ring”, which locks up at the arm pillar to hold up the arm when the screw at the arm base is released. The Safir also comes with this ring, but here it just acts as a spacer, and should be resting on the arm base, but NOT locked at the pillar.

I think you can use this ring to easily get back to the lowest VTA setting, which let’s say is 180g. First, since Safir’s VTA screw has to touch the arm base to adjust VTA, a hole needs to be drilled in the appropriate position on the “height ring “ for the VTA screw to pass through. Now, with the “height ring” on the pillar (not locked), once you have set the correct VTA for 180g, lock the “height ring” onto the pillar (the height ring should be touching the arm base at this point), the same way you would do it on the 4Point.

You have now a repeatable setting for 180g. For 200g, you can just raise the arm, and use the method suggested by DasguteOhr to measure the height difference between the “height ring” and the arm base.

I think this should work!

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
But wouldn't that be a problem for 120g records, then?

thekong

May 10, 2012
Yes, that’s why I said assuming the lowest VTA setting was 180g! If the lightest LP you will play is 120g, then set the height ring at 120g, and measure the height difference between the height ring and arm base at 130g, 180g, 200g etc. While still more complicated than with the 4Point, should be easier and quicker than using a precision caliper every time you switch to a different weight LP.

Wutang-401`

Dec 6, 2023
Sydney, Australia
i experienced tremendous VTA sensitivity which then seemed to die off as the cable burnt in. one week i was adjusting vta all the time and then it just became a non-issue and i haven't but touched it once or twice in several weeks since.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing