Kuzma XL DC Spindle Washer

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi to All Kuzma XL DC Owners,

Can anybody tell me if the spindle washers that come with the Kuzma XL DC and are used with the supplied brass record clamp make a big difference to flattening the edge of the record and the sound ?

Reason I ask is that last month I purchased a one owner second hand XL DC (circa 2019 build) from a Kuzma Dealer in Norway and it didn't come with the two spindle washers !

I asked via email about two weeks ago the Kuzma Dealer in Norway if they could ask the original owner if he / she has them and can send on to me (along with the black PVC spacer for the motor unit positioning which also never came with it !). I still haven't received an answer yet !

I obtained a price via a UK Dealer who sells Kuzma turntables etc. for the black PVC motor unit spacer and the two spindle washers. However the price from Kuzma via the UK Dealer is extortionate for what they are.

So now wondering if it is worth spending crazy money on these two washers from Kuzma or not or whether there is something out there as a good substitute that doesn't cost crazy money ?

For the correct spacing / distance of the motor unit from the platter I got round this by reading in the Kuzma XL DC manual centre of motor unit spindle to platter spindle is 191mm. So I purchased a 300mm long x 3mm diameter stainless steel rod off Amazon and used it in my Acoustical Systems SMARTractor to get exactly 191mm distance.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Can anybody tell me if the spindle washers that come with the Kuzma XL DC and are used with the supplied brass record clamp make a big difference to flattening the edge of the record and the sound ?
I can not say anything specially for Kuzma xl but similar washers are used on other brands’ tables and make a big difference. I highly recommend you to get the original washer from Kuzma as a good starting point what the standard sounds like. If you like the sound with standard washer you can always try others.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I can not say anything specially for Kuzma xl but similar washers are used on other brands’ tables and make a big difference. I highly recommend you to get the original washer from Kuzma as a good starting point what the standard sounds like. If you like the sound with standard washer you can always try others.
Thank you 'mtemur' for your response post. Much appreciated.

Yes, I think I will have to order the original Kuzma washers, as if I don't, I will always be wondering what I am missing out on with not using them (especially as they come with the Kuzma XL DC).

I think I will also order the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp as I have quite a few records that are sightly warped and having to get the clamping pressure just right using the original Kuzma XL DC spindle clamp so the record doesn't warp any more with too excessive centre record label clamping pressure !

I have also read on WBF that the Kuzma Ebony Spindle (non screw) Clamp is an upgrade to the original screw on brass clamp, and that Franc Kuzma himself prefers the Ebony Clamp with the Outer Ring Clamp for the XL DC.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I have also read on WBF that the Kuzma Ebony Spindle (non screw) Clamp is an upgrade to the original screw on brass clamp, and that Franc Kuzma himself prefers the Ebony Clamp with the Outer Ring Clamp for the XL DC.
If you use an outer ring with a regular clamp (preferably kuzma ebony) on your XL DC table you wouldn’t need washer and screw down clamp. Basically former solution is better than the latter but requires more care. With washer and screw down clamp record surface gains around 1 degree inclination towards the spindle, with an outer ring and regular clamp record surface stays flat (if everything is perfectly in order).

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
If you use an outer ring with a regular clamp (preferably kuzma ebony) on your XL DC table you wouldn’t need washer and screw down clamp. Basically former solution is better than the latter but requires more care. With washer and screw down clamp record surface gains around 1 degree inclination through the spindle, with an outer ring and regular clamp record surface stays flat (if everything is perfectly in order).
Thank you 'mtemur'. Much appreciated.

Reactions: mtemur

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
I have just used the screw clamp and washer for a short time many years ago with a Stabi Reference. I did like it. It was not very practicable, as you have to stop the platter every time you screw it on or off the spindle.
After that I have used the Ebony clamp, but unfortunately without outer ring, this would be a nice upgrade indeed, at least for the rigid XL turntables.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I have just used the screw clamp and washer for a short time many years ago with a Stabi Reference. I did like it. It was not very practicable, as you have to stop the platter every time you screw it on or off the spindle.
After that I have used the Ebony clamp, but unfortunately without outer ring, this would be a nice upgrade indeed, at least for the rigid XL turntables.
Thank you 'Birdwatcher' for your thoughts and experience with the Kuzma spindle washer and spindle clamp. Much appreciated.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
The washers are only required if you use the clamp. It really does help keep records "flatter" on the platter. If no washers are used then listen without the clamp. It's actually how a Kuzma Stabi R is shipped, no clamp and no washers, they are an option when buying a Stabi R. And yes I prefer the clamp/washers myself. I've owned the XL (non-DC version) and now use the Stabi R with washer & clamp.

(Kuzma dealer)

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The washers are only required if you use the clamp. It really does help keep records "flatter" on the platter. If no washers are used then listen without the clamp. It's actually how a Kuzma Stabi R is shipped, no clamp and no washers, they are an option when buying a Stabi R. And yes I prefer the clamp/washers myself. I've owned the XL (non-DC version) and now use the Stabi R with washer & clamp.

(Kuzma dealer)
Thank you 'SOS' for your posting. Much appreciated.

I am resorting to the fact that I need to purchase these two original Kuzma XL DC spindle washers from Kuzma and swallow the exuberant cost (for the simple engineering item they are / made from etc.) that I have been quoted from a UK Kuzma Dealer !

I am thinking there must be other washers on the market the same as the original Kuzma one's that are a fraction of the Kuzma price.
It is just knowing who makes such washers, what material they are made from, sizes (inner & outer diameters, thicknesses etc.), are they flat or dished (if dished, what angle ?) etc.

Or maybe Kuzma themselves makes them and have established the ideal size, thickness, material etc. from many hours of trial and error (hence the high purchase price).

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
The 2 washers are flat and seem/feel like they are a light weight aluminum of very slightly different thickness. I don't see on the US Importers website that they sell them separately. However you can buy the optional Stabi R clamp which comes with both washers for under $500 and then have an extra clamp.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The 2 washers are flat and seem/feel like they are a light weight aluminum of very slightly different thickness. I don't see on the US Importers website that they sell them separately. However you can buy the optional Stabi R clamp which comes with both washers for under $500 and then have an extra clamp.
Thank you 'SOS' for your reply posting. Much appreciated.

It may be possible that the spindle washers for the XL DC used with the supplied brass screw on clamp may be different for the one's used for the Stabi R with it's own screw on clamp. The centre of the XL DC platter is slightly dished inwards / concave to the diameter of the outer diameter of the screw on clamp.

The UK Kuzma Dealer said he can obtain these two spindle washers direct from Kuzma (costing approx £85 each incl. postage i.e. total £170 for both, approx US$200).

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
I owned the XL (non-DC version) which I sold 2 months ago and I can say the 2 washers for that table and the ones that came with the optional Stabi R clamp were identical. Also my XL clamp and optional Stabi R clamp were identical except the newer optional clamp weighed less. But it fit the XL table.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I owned the XL (non-DC version) which I sold 2 months ago and I can say the 2 washers for that table and the ones that came with the optional Stabi R clamp were identical. Also my XL clamp and optional Stabi R clamp were identical except the newer optional clamp weighed less. But it fit the XL table.
Thank you 'SOS' for the information. Very much appreciated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing