La Assoluta

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
The Reference recordings I was in particular referring to a few posts back are the following:
- Respighi, Belkis, queen of sheba-suite, dance of the gnomes and the Pines of Rome, Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra.
- Stravinsky, the song of the nightingale, the firebird suite and the rite of the spring, Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra.

Both of these 24/176.4 recordings are (ultra) transparent with great dynamics and a (very) large soundstage. They are far from new off course but they sound really (in my current set up) fantastic.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Can we get Marcus to post here on the difference between his Tripoint NG and your system of full Tripoint greatness?? :D

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I am not Markus, off course, and cannot and do want not to speak for him. But please keep in mind the following: on the Sunday on which Markus visited us we were still working on the LA system. Actually on that Sunday Miguel did some (last) soldering on the main chassis of the server as he did in the previous week on main chassis of the g-1000 line, power supply of the server, on my two Kagura poweramps as well as on the two Emperor mk ii ground cables that are connected to the LA’s. Nothing has settled yet (still going through some very nasty shifts, inter alia shrilness, lack of density and body as well as lack of focus and collaps of the soundstage depth). According to Miguel it will take approximately 30 days before everything will be ‘calm’ again. So I guess what I am saying is the following: I am afraid that Markus his vivit was too early to let him hear / enjoy the full potential of the LA / Kondo / Tripoint set up.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
And just to be sure: it is not only the soldering but also all the - completely new - Tripoint ground wires inside the various audio components that need to mature. Although the nasty shifts will be gone after around 30 days it is likely that only after approximately 60 days all distorsion will be removed.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Well, a bumpy audio ride it is at the moment. Although Miguel had warned me for this I am again surprised about the ‘power’ of grounding. It is now (a little more than) two weeks ago that he modded my Kondo g-1000 linestage (main chassis), the LDMS server (ps and main chassis), both Kondo Kagura poweramps and did (quite) some soldering on the two Tripoint Emperor mk ii ground cables that are connected to the Tidal LA’s.

And I speak about ‘power’ because the influence of his very special ground wire is profound in the sense that nasty audio shifts are all over place, notwithstanding the fact that Miguel used the shortest lengths possible in all audio components. Most annoying is the shrilness and lack of body / density I am experiencing but also the regular collapses of soundstaging (in particular soundstage depth) and the lack of focussing as well as the lack of refinement and smoothness is not something to be pleased about at all. However, in the very beginning (when Miguel was still around) we also could enjoy some truely magical moments, although they were short lived I am afraid.:mad:

Not everything is bad though! The noisefloor has been reduced again and this ‘silence’ yields the usual benefits like added transparency and a wealth of micro information (that is laid bare). In addition the 3d presentation (at the good moments) has become more convincing and what I call the ‘unraveling act’ - keeping all instruments / musicians apart so that you can ‘follow’ the individual musical notes more clearly, including the fading notes - has very clearly benefitted as well. And (again during the good moments) most importantly: the music presentation has become more real due to the lack of distorsion.

Furthermore the additional speed and power of the LA system is quite striking. To illustrate this ‘phenomenon’: WBF member Amadeus visited me a week ago and he owns the Kondo Kagura’s himself. If I understood him correctly he does not consider the Kondo Kagura’s as really ‘fast’ amps. However, he was taken aback and pleasantly surprised by the speed of my Kagura’s after all the ‘grounding work’ of Miguel. Amadeus knows by the way from his own experience how powerful the Kagura amps are; so he was not surprised at all by the ease with which the Kagura’s drove the Tidal LA loudspeakers.

Apparently the influence casu quo ‘power’ of (chassis) grounding is so profound that even (very) short ground wires that are being employed in the ground plane of various high end components can create these kind of dramatic effects. To me all these experiences show - again - that the concept of ‘grounding’ is fundamental in achieving great sound.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
And just to be sure: I am not claiming - off course - that ‘grounding’ is the only fundamental in ‘audio land’. It is in my view just one of the fundamentals, like - for example - power and acoustics.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Well, a bumpy audio ride it is at the moment. Although Miguel had warned me for this I am again surprised about the ‘power’ of grounding. It is now (a little more than) two weeks ago that he modded my Kondo g-1000 linestage (main chassis), the LDMS server (ps and main chassis), both Kondo Kagura poweramps and did (quite) some soldering on the two Tripoint Emperor mk ii ground cables that are connected to the Tidal LA’s.

And I speak about ‘power’ because the influence of his very special ground wire is profound in the sense that nasty audio shifts are all over place, notwithstanding the fact that Miguel used the shortest lengths possible in all audio components. Most annoying is the shrilness and lack of body / density I am experiencing but also the regular collapses of soundstaging (in particular soundstage depth) and the lack of focussing as well as the lack of refinement and smoothness is not something to be pleased about at all. However, in the very beginning (when Miguel was still around) we also could enjoy some truely magical moments, although they were short lived I am afraid.:mad:

Not everything is bad though! The noisefloor has been reduced again and this ‘silence’ yields the usual benefits like added transparency and a wealth of micro information (that is laid bare). In addition the 3d presentation (at the good moments) has become more convincing and what I call the ‘unraveling act’ - keeping all instruments / musicians apart so that you can ‘follow’ the individual musical notes more clearly, including the fading notes - has very clearly benefitted as well. And (again during the good moments) most importantly: the music presentation has become more real due to the lack of distorsion.

Furthermore the additional speed and power of the LA system is quite striking. To illustrate this ‘phenomenon’: WBF member Amadeus visited me a week ago and he owns the Kondo Kagura’s himself. If I understood him correctly he does not consider the Kondo Kagura’s as really ‘fast’ amps. However, he was taken aback and pleasantly surprised by the speed of my Kagura’s after all the ‘grounding work’ of Miguel. Amadeus knows by the way from his own experience how powerful the Kagura amps are; so he was not surprised at all by the ease with which the Kagura’s drove the Tidal LA loudspeakers.

Apparently the influence casu quo ‘power’ of (chassis) grounding is so profound that even (very) short ground wires that are being employed in the ground plane of various high end components can create these kind of dramatic effects. To me all these experiences show - again - that the concept of ‘grounding’ is fundamental in achieving great sound.
Congrats on your path following grounding journey. Your system is always a strong reference on how to get to close realism in audio.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I was privileged guest at Rudolfs beautiful House/Listening-room the room is very Beautiful whit high Ceiling the pictures cant justify the beauty of the room.
Rudolf is a very very passionated Music lover and nothing is to much to reach his desired Musical Moments.I was aware of the the recent visit of Miguel of Tripoint Audio and that many cables and soldering parts where in burnin period and i must say i heard this also in the Music but beside this aspects of burning in period the system is very open very clean very good bass...

We have listened to some of my and his Cds played on his Zanden CD Transport the sound was very promising only comment can be the absence of some meat/body in mid-highs but i believe that this is due many new cables in the system this will appear when all is burned inn.For the rest the system is fast very very low noise floor the bass is very good the treble is sparkling whit lots of air beautiful. Rudolf did also stream some music but i never liked the sound of streaming in this matter i am and i will will stay old-fashioned.

I hope after burnin period i can visit Rudolf again to hear his wonderful set but hope this time i can also hear some real(!) Records Rudolf has some of the finest Record Players Walker and Davinci are just some names but they are not installed (???) what can be more beautiful than listening to great Analog Records in a System like this???

Well done Rudolf thank you.

Attachments

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I was privileged guest at Rudolfs beautiful House/Listening-room the room is very Beautiful whit high Ceiling the pictures cant justify the beauty of the room.
Rudolf is a very very passionated Music lover and nothing is to much to reach his desired Musical Moments.I was aware of the the recent visit of Miguel of Tripoint Audio and that many cables and soldering parts where in burnin period and i must say i heard this also in the Music but beside this aspects of burning in period the system is very open very clean very good bass...

We have listened to some of my and his Cds played on his Zanden CD Transport the sound was very promising only comment can be the absence of some meat/body in mid-highs but i believe that this is due many new cables in the system this will appear when all is burned inn.For the rest the system is fast very very low noise floor the bass is very good the treble is sparkling whit lots of air beautiful. Rudolf did also stream some music but i never liked the sound of streaming in this matter i am and i will will stay old-fashioned.

I hope after burnin period i can visit Rudolf again to hear his wonderful set but hope this time i can also hear some real(!) Records Rudolf has some of the finest Record Players Walker and Davinci are just some names but they are not installed (???) what can be more beautiful than listening to great Analog Records in a System like this???

You are most welcome, Ertugrul.

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

What a beautiful room with beautiful stained glass and beautiful nature behind.
Top of class.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Audiocrack, if you are into streaming, you should get one of those high end switch and router with OCXO clocks and more importantly ground binding post. Some one else has reported on improved performance when grouding their routers and switches.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Audiocrack, if you are into streaming, you should get one of those high end switch and router with OCXO clocks and more importantly ground binding post. Some one else has reported on improved performance when grouding their routers and switches.
Thanks, Hieukm. I will definately look into it.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Rudolf,
I added an SOtM switch with clock input. It added more body and weight to the notes which always seemed lacking while streaming. It's still not as clean as the cd player but getting closer. I talked with Miguel about grouding my Aurender streamer and a new jumper. I hope the break-in is livable!!

Dave

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rudolf,
I added an SOtM switch with clock input. It added more body and weight to the notes which always seemed lacking while streaming. It's still not as clean as the cd player but getting closer. I talked with Miguel about grouding my Aurender streamer and a new jumper. I hope the break-in is livable!!

Dave
Hello Dave,

Nice to hear from you again. In all honesty, I really, really hate these damn break-in periods. Not only am I ‘burning’ my tubes (some of these, in particular the four (nos) 211 valves and eight (nos) gz34 metal base tubes, are quite hard to find and as a consequence very costly) but now and then the sound is so bad that you start thinking (i) something is really wrong and (ii) will this ‘shit’ in the end indeed turn around? Anyway, I know the sound will - in the end - be more glorious casu quo better than ever before but these ‘roller coaster rides’ are damn annoying!

Just to be sure: a. what is exactly a SOtM switch and b. you added this switch to your music server, if I understand you correctly?

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Rudolf,
Sorry for the late response, been busy lately. A switch is used in a wired network to connect to other devices using Ethernet cables. I run cat 6 cable to the SotM and from there a short run of AQ Diamond ethernet to my steamer. It cleaned up the sound quite a bit and lowered the noise floor. It sounds more dynamic without the mechanical hash that I always heard streaming. Its a good value in my system. I feel your pain with the break-in. It will be easier for me to handle it next time knowing it ends.

Dave

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rudolf,
Sorry for the late response, been busy lately. A switch is used in a wired network to connect to other devices using Ethernet cables. I run cat 6 cable to the SotM and from there a short run of AQ Diamond ethernet to my steamer. It cleaned up the sound quite a bit and lowered the noise floor. It sounds more dynamic without the mechanical hash that I always heard streaming. Its a good value in my system. I feel your pain with the break-in. It will be easier for me to handle it next time knowing it ends.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes, now I understand. Actually I am doing the same: cat7 cable, switch, (higher quality) Tidal Audio ethernet cable that is connected with my LDMS server.

The last two days things seem to settle somewhat. So it is getting better and better.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Tomorrow it will be three weeks that Miguel did his latest modifications in the LA set up, that is (i) adding a dedicated grounding binding post and (ii) (chassis) grounding scheme to the main chassis of my LDMS server as well as (iii) making a special jumper for me in order to connect the power supply of the LDMS server to the main chassis of this server so that both units can benefit from the sonic effects of the Tripoint Emperor mk ii ground cable (this ‘anaconda’ is hooked up to the power supply of my LDMS server).

In all honesty these three weeks have been pretty much a sonic nightmare: shrillness, lack of as well as drifting of focussing, regular collapses of soundstaging, lack of body and density, lack of refinement and purity, a (very) forward and ‘raw’ presentation, etc. I am not sure yet whether this damn ‘audio roller coaster ride’ is more or less over by now casu quo whether I am experiencing a sort of breakthrough lately. What I do know is that the system is behaving itself much, much better the last couple of days.

For example the files and (sa)cd’s I know very well and use as a sort of ‘test material’ very clearly show me that the LA set up after Miguel’s departure has gradually become more and more quiet, that is the noisefloor - apparently as a consequence of less and less distorsion - was significantly lowered again. This added transparency not only let you clearly hear more (micro) information but also let you experience musical details more clearly, all this due to the removal of ‘dirt veils’.

I could list the other musical benefits while using the regular ‘audio prose’ (for example a better and tighter low end presentation, more refinement and added serinity, a more beautiful tonality, wider and deeper soundstage, added density and body, less mechanicalness, etc). However, the most intriguing - and at the same time most rewarding - factor for me is the following: getting rid of distorsion in the various audio components through all this Tripoint ‘grounding’ results in a music presentation that sounds (so much) more like real instruments being played in front of you by real musicians. Very curious indeed to find out what the next four or five weeks will bring in this regard.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
UK
Tomorrow it will be three weeks that Miguel did his latest modifications in the LA set up, that is (i) adding a dedicated grounding binding post and (ii) (chassis) grounding scheme to the main chassis of my LDMS server as well as (iii) making a special jumper for me in order to connect the power supply of the LDMS server to the main chassis of this server so that both units can benefit from the sonic effects of the Tripoint Emperor mk ii ground cable (this ‘anaconda’ is hooked up to the power supply of my LDMS server).

In all honesty these three weeks have been pretty much a sonic nightmare: shrillness, lack of as well as drifting of focussing, regular collapses of soundstaging, lack of body and density, lack of refinement and purity, a (very) forward and ‘raw’ presentation, etc. I am not sure yet whether this damn ‘audio roller coaster ride’ is more or less over by now casu quo whether I am experiencing a sort of breakthrough lately. What I do know is that the system is behaving itself much, much better the last couple of days.

For example the files and (sa)cd’s I know very well and use as a sort of ‘test material’ very clearly show me that the LA set up after Miguel’s departure has gradually become more and more quiet, that is the noisefloor - apparently as a consequence of less and less distorsion - was significantly lowered again. This added transparency not only let you clearly hear more (micro) information but also let you experience musical details more clearly, all this due to the removal of ‘dirt veils’.

I could list the other musical benefits while using the regular ‘audio prose’ (for example a better and tighter low end presentation, more refinement and added serinity, a more beautiful tonality, wider and deeper soundstage, added density and body, less mechanicalness, etc). However, the most intriguing - and at the same time most rewarding - factor for me is the following: getting rid of distorsion in the various audio components through all this Tripoint ‘grounding’ results in a music presentation that sounds (so much) more like real instruments being played in front of you by real musicians. Very curious indeed to find out what the next four or five weeks will bring in this regard.
Hi Rudolph,

When I was doing my grounding experiments a couple of years ago (and building my solution), I experienced the exact same situation but it usually resolved in around 24 hrs if I left the system on. More annoyingly, every further modification or component or cable thereafter effectively reset that timer again. Have you tried leaving the system on for a continuous extended period say 24hrs?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing