La Assoluta

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Rudolph,

When I was doing my grounding experiments a couple of years ago (and building my solution), I experienced the exact same situation but it usually resolved in around 24 hrs if I left the system on. More annoyingly, every further modification or component or cable thereafter effectively reset that timer again. Have you tried leaving the system on for a continuous extended period say 24hrs?
Hello Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I played all my digital components 24/7 after Miguel’s visit, so they (including the new Tripoint signal ground cable that Miguel brought along and the new jumper he built for me) have by now played for around 500 hours. Now and then I also play my Kondo linestage for say 24 hours before shutting it off. However, I do not dare to do this with my Kagura’s while at the same time Miguel needed to employ the longest internal ground wires for these amps. Furthermore the two Tripoint Emperor mk ii ground cables that are connected to my Tidal LA’s needed larger spades and this involved soldering. So it is quite likely that in particular the Kagura’s and these two ‘anaconda’s’ are holding the LA system back because they are not being played as much as the other devices.

That said, before installing all his ground wires in the various audio components Miguel treats these wires in such an intense way that inter alia the molecular structure of his ground cables is altered. If I understand him correctly this fact alone implies that I need to be (very) patient :(.

Anyway, already now and then I am experiencing beautiful moments (although I can also clearly tell that I am not ‘done’ yet), so in the end things will turn out fine indeed.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
What better way - to forget for a while this nasty break in cycle - than go to a live concert in “het concertgebouw” in Amsterdam? Yesterday evening I listened with an EY collegue to the RCO conducted by Semyon Bychkov playing Weites Land, a piece written by the (for me anyway totally unknown) composer Detlev Glanerts. This modestly modern piece from 2013 was premiered in the Netherlands while the composer attended the concert; very nice. Secondly the famous violin concerto in D gr.t, op. 35 of Pjotr Iljitsj Tsjaikovski was played by Nikolaj Znaider on violin (and what a virtuoso he is) and lastly inter alia Bedrich Smetana’s Moldau and Sarka from Ma Vlast were on the program. Although the latter compositions are not really favourite pieces of mine it is still fascinating - and at the same time (for me anyway) rather humbling - to see how a great orchestra plays these kind of ‘big pieces’ with lots of crescendo’s in a concert hall with such beautiful acoustics as the “concertgebouw”. I call it a ‘humbling experience’ because it seems impossible to duplicate (inter alia) the scale and dynamics of a symphony orchestra playing in such a concert hall at home.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Gradually the sound is becoming better and better. Tomorrow it will be four weeks ago that Miguel did his latest modification and soldering on the main chassis of the LDMS server. Miguel predicted that after around 30 days things would calm down and he is right. These really ugly / nasty periods seem to have vanished - although I suppose you never know for sure - and as a consequence you can hear more and more (micro) information, body, density, smoothness, continuity, serinity, a tighter, faster and deeper low end which results (of course) inter alia in a more beautiful midrange, better dynamics, etc. Although I can still clearly hear that the LA set up needs more playing hours in order to fully mature, the last couple of days at least have shown me that the sound - after another 30 days or so - will be (much) better than ever before.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Rudolph or Audiophile Bill

Can you explain why the long break in period. Is it the box , the cable or both?

My experience with grounding is the same as Bill, IOW it occurs fairly quickly

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rudolph or Audiophile Bill

Can you explain why the long break in period. Is it the box , the cable or both?

My experience with grounding is the same as Bill, IOW it occurs fairly quickly
Hello Steve,

The unconventional building techniques of Tripoint Audio when treating their conductors make that the burn in process takes (much) more time than is the case with conventional cable designs. In my situation it is only the Tripoint grounding wire that was added to my linestage, power amps, as well as music server in combination with the soldering involved that is causing this long break in period. My ‘ground station’ is fully burned in.

Hope this helps.

Ps Sorry but I forgot to mention that my signal ground cables also still needs to settle

Last edited:

Steve Williams

It does help as that was exactly why I asked as to me everything else in your system has burned in.

So it is the conductors in the cable that is slow to settle in ?

Steve Williams

Rudolph

Where I lack understanding is what significance do conductors have in a grounding cable? Or to say it in a different way, do all grounding cables have conductors ?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
It does help as that was exactly why I asked as to me everything else in your system has burned in.

So it is the conductors in the cable that is slow to settle in ?
Yep, primarely the conductors. But please keep in mind that my signal ground cable that is connected to the Tidal Camira dac is also not yet fully burned in.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rudolph

Where I lack understanding is what significance do conductors have in a grounding cable? Or to say it in a different way, do all grounding cables have conductors ?[/QUOTE

I do not know whether grounding cables of other brands have conductors, Steve, although I suppose the answer is yes. I am only employing grounding cables of Tripoint Audio. Miguel has perfected his grounding wire during the last twenty years or so after countless hours of listening and experimentation. I know - because I watched him closely while working on my LA system for almost two weeks during two separate visits - that he is using top notch materials and is employing various techniques that are very time consuming indeed.

So I suppose what I am saying is the following: the Tripoint ground wires are (very) sophisticated cables that take an awful lot of breaking in time. I am in contact with a few audiophiles in the USA that went trough the same burn in process.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Last Wednesday is was six weeks ago that Miguel modified my Kondo Kagura amps and next Sunday it will be six weeks when he finished his work on my LDMS server. Although I am still not there the swings have become less intense and less frequent. So I decided this week to add three x three Shun Mook ultra diamond resonators feet to the Tidal LA set up: 2 x three of those footers under the ebony platforms on which my Kagura’s are placed and 1 x three SM ultra diamond resonators under the main chassis of the LDMS server. (the Kagura amps have six feet of their own so it is difficult to place the SH footers directly under these amps).The Mooks typically add their midrange splendour, that is make the presentation less mechanical and more fluid. The sounds also becomes somewhat darker (Ebony wood) and I have the impression that I loose somewhat focussing. Need to experiment with rotating (the white dots on) the SH footers as this will change the sound / presentation. However, this is not easy for one person with such large and bulky amps as the Kagura’s. So Ked, where are you?;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Last Wednesday is was six weeks ago that Miguel modified my Kondo Kagura amps and next Sunday it will be six weeks when he finished his work on my LDMS server. Although I am still not there the swings have become less intense and less frequent. So I decided this week to add three x three Shun Mook ultra diamond resonators feet to the Tidal LA set up: 2 x three of those footers under the ebony platforms on which my Kagura’s are placed and 1 x three SM ultra diamond resonators under the main chassis of the LDMS server. (the Kagura amps have six feet of their own so it is difficult to place the SH footers directly under these amps).The Mooks typically add their midrange splendour, that is make the presentation less mechanical and more fluid. The sounds also becomes somewhat darker (Ebony wood) and I have the impression that I loose somewhat focussing. Need to experiment with rotating (the white dots on) the SH footers as this will change the sound / presentation. However, this is not easy for one person with such large and bulky amps as the Kagura’s. So Ked, where are you?;)
I think he would be honor to do a $200,000 dead lift for ypu. And keep rotating those big ass Mooks for the optium position.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I'd take care the combined weight of your Amp+ Ebony Platform does not exceed the weight allowance for the Ultras--
I unfortunately had one of my sets overweighted and it pushed the points up almost to the base of the Mooks on two of the the footers.

Careless on my part:(

Ked our resident Mookie will advise and assist I'm sure:)

BruceD

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I'd take care the combined weight of your Amp+ Ebony Platform does not exceed the weight allowance for the Ultras--
I unfortunately had one of my sets overweighted and it pushed the points up almost to the base of the Mooks on two of the the footers.

Careless on my part:(

Ked our resident Mookie will advise and assist I'm sure:)

BruceD
Thanks for your warning Bruce. My Kagura’s are 62 kg each. Three Shun Mook ultra’s can handle up to 80 kg if I understand Billy Ying’s instructions regarding these footers correctly. The Ebony platforms I am using are somewhere between 5-10kg each. So I guess - and hope anyway - I am ‘safe’ as regards weight.

Getting the Mooks right with a platform of 35 by 60 cm standing directly on the floor and with heavy amps on top of them is an alltogeher different question I suppose. I am lyying on the floor while trying to rotate the SM dots. Far from ideal, also from a sight point of view. But it is what it is.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ah good --you should be fine then!-- ha yes trying to find the dots /listening etc--I sorta gave up and went with the 5 and 7 o'clock recommended
apart from stiff neck and eye strain--I frankly could'nt tell any noticeable differences with the fiddly procedure.

YVMV--good luck;)

Lovely system by the way--Kudos!

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just to clarify, your ebony platforms are not mooks. They will change the sound. So first try without them

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Ah good --you should be fine then!-- ha yes trying to find the dots /listening etc--I sorta gave up and went with the 5 and 7 o'clock recommended
apart from stiff neck and eye strain--I frankly could'nt tell any noticeable differences with the fiddly procedure.

YVMV--good luck;)

Lovely system by the way--Kudos!

BruceD
Thanks again Bruce.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Just to clarify, your ebony platforms are not mooks. They will change the sound. So first try without them
Not sure if I understand what you are actually saying.

The Kagura’s have been standing on their - non Shun Mook - specially made Ebony platforms of 35 cm wide, 60 cm deep and 5 cm thick since the last one and a half year or so. I replaced this week the footers - on which these Ebony platform were resting - by three SM ultra diamond resonators (per platform). So the SM are not directly placed under the Kagura’s but that is for a reason: the six Kondo feet of the Kagura’s make the placement of the ultra diamond resonators quite difficult.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
UK
Rudolph

Where I lack understanding is what significance do conductors have in a grounding cable? Or to say it in a different way, do all grounding cables have conductors ?
Hi Steve,

I read and re-read your comment.

All cables by definition have conductors or else they aren’t cables. An audio cable without a conductor has no function. The only cable without a conductor I can think of is a cable-tie to conjoin objects.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing