La Assoluta

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Have been playing around with the Tripoint Troy Elite NG configuration yesterday. After approximately 24 hours I was so curious to find out what the NG powercord would bring to the table that I connected this pc. In order to reserve one dedicated binding post for the NG pc I connected the two ‘Anaconda’s’ of both my Tital LA loudspeakers to one binding post. So the configuration right now is as follows:
- NG binding post 1 for two LA’s
- NG binding post 2 for the NG pc
- NG binding post 3 for the LDMS server
- NG binding post 4 for the Tidal Camira dac (signal grounding).

First impressions: the PC is really important to get the best out of the Tripoint Troy Elite NG. More refinement, tonality has become more beautiful, more density and larger/deeper soundstage. The walls of my living room seem to have dissapeated.

The NG PC most likely needs more time to before it can be considered fully broken in. Not sure how much time this will take and how bad the swing/shifts are going to be. Only time will tell.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Apart from adding the Tripoint Troy Elite NG ‘ground’ station to the LA / Kondo system I made one other change last weekend: I put a large, thick (3 cm) and quite heavy slab of (very) pure copper on top of my Tidal Camira dac; the Zanden cd-transport on its turn is situated on top of this slab. In this way I am trying to achieve that two components - the dac as well as the transport - simultaniously benefit from the copper plate. This copper slab was sanded extensively and looks quite beautiful. I always liked the looks and sound of pure copper (the chassis of my Kondo g-1000 line stage and Kondo Kagura set amps are made of copper as well).

Adding this copper slab in the way I just described resulted in a more dense - or in other words: ’warmer’ - musical presentation.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I am in the middle of a breaking in period again :mad:; the powercord of the new Tripoint Troy Elite NG apparently needs (much?) more time to settle. Now and then the music reproduction becomes harsh/strident and contained. Purity and serinity suffer in these bad periods as well. However, during the - pretty rare :mad: - moments in which everything turns out fine the LA / Kondo / Tripoint system shows where it is heading at: a music presentation that is very clearly better than I have ever experienced before.

Last edited:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Currently stuck in Manila because of the Taal volcano eruption.. Got a chance to listen to a couple of very good systems owned or designed by friends. One of them is a friend's TLA driven by Gryphon amps. He also has an incoming pair of Tenor hybrids. I listened to this system in 2018 while he was using Tridents, TLA took the experience to another level.

Amazing sound. Hard to imagine how big they are by looking at the pics, but they are huge.

IMG_20200113_215201.jpg

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Currently stuck in Manila because of the Taal volcano eruption.. Got a chance to listen to a couple of very good systems owned or designed by friends. One of them is a friend's TLA driven by Gryphon amps. He also has an incoming pair of Tenor hybrids. I listened to this system in 2018 while he was using Tridents, TLA took the experience to another level.

Amazing sound. Hard to imagine how big they are by looking at the pics, but they are huge.

View attachment 60695
Beautiful looking listening room. Could you please share some additional thoughts about this set up? Eg, what are the other audio components being used, any grounding involved, what kind of musis did you listen to, any musical aspect that stood out, etc?

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
system is owned by a seasoned audiophile.. when he and his friends went to Munich Highend, Tidal closed their room for them for a few hours, they bought 2 pairs. I sometimes think I know audio, but whenever I talk to this guy, I am reminded how little I know :cool: I don’t think he is part of any online audio group but he is a very active member of a couple of audio groups in the Phils.

room is purposely designed according to his taste. immediate side of the speakers and back of the speakers are mostly diffusion. middle of the room (between speakers and listening position) is mostly absorption and behind listening position is a mixture of both. end result is a holographic soundstage with presentation that seem to extend behind the physical walls. this room is in his office, TLA will be eventually moved to a dedicated/purpose built room on his new home.

digital is played on a custom built server, DAC is Aqua Formula XHD. He also has an Aurender which he calls his most expensive mousepad. Analog side is mostly Triangle Art Audio stuff, his setup guy was installing Koetsu Jasper (I think, he said it is not in Koetsu catalog) and it sounded great with a number of male vocals he played. we listened to a wide variety of music, including some usual audiophile stuff like Jazz at The Pawnshop, Musika Nuda, Diana Krall and some classical and instrumental stuff that I am not very familiar with.

amps are Gryphon Mephisto Solos (because it can handle as low as .013 ohm), pre amp is MacIntosh. Owner seem to like Aqua Formula a lot, he also own MSB stuff in other systems. He own a wide variety of cables, some of them very expensive, some are not. He is not after brand name but mostly after performance and technology involved. He can talk about electronics in great length because he is an electronics and communications engineering graduate.

I use Magico S7 at home, I think TLA takes clarity of everything to another level. System‘s decay seem to linger forever, bass is as solid as can be and very tuneful. Stage is big/deep but very realistic (not oversized). This system can play very delicate string music, realistic piano and can also rock and roll.

I would also like to mention CRAFTSMANSHIP... I think Tidal took it to absolute level. Owner said he bought not only a pair of speaker, but also a piece of finest furniture.. as expensive as it is, he calls it a bargain :cool:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Last week Lucas - the man and brains behind the LDMS server - visited me when he was on his way back from Poland to the UK. I opted for his LDMS server for two reasons: a. It is ‘the best’ or most musical server I have heard so far (but of course I have not heard all the ‘server contenders’) and b. His service is second to none. His continuous service not only contains regular server updates from a distance but also personal visits now and then. He has visited me at least three times since I bought his LDMS server about one and a half year ago. Every time Lucas leaves the LDMS server sounds more fluid/better. These updates are really great and his personal service second to none.

Some of my visitors (all vinyl diehards btw) preferred in the past cd-replay (Zanden 2000-p transport, (same) Tidal Camira dac) to music played with the server. Far from sure if they would still feel the same after all Lucas’s updates. Anyway, I am very happy how my music files sound and I am very grateful / lucky indeed that Lucas provides such excellent service.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Last week Lucas - the man and brains behind the LDMS server - visited me when he was on his way back from Poland to the UK. I opted for his LDMS server for two reasons: a. It is ‘the best’ or most musical server I have heard so far (but of course I have not heard all the ‘server contenders’) and b. His service is second to none. His continuous service not only contains regular server updates from a distance but also personal visits now and then. He has visited me at least three times since I bought his LDMS server about one and a half year ago. Every time Lucas leaves the LDMS server sounds more fluid/better. These updates are really great and his personal service second to none.

Some of my visitors (all vinyl diehards btw) preferred in the past cd-replay (Zanden 2000-p transport, (same) Tidal Camira dac) to music played with the server. Far from sure if they would still feel the same after all Lucas’s updates. Anyway, I am very happy how my music files sound and I am very grateful / lucky indeed that Lucas provides such excellent service.
Well yes, that is Lucas aka LD...as i wrote in LDMS thread his service and commitment is phenomenal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing