New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Buddy :D

caesar

May 30, 2010
That other thread is about wanting to introduce tubes somewhere in my (all solid state) system to incorporate a bit more dimension into the presentation and achieve something more like Al M.'s system (which I really enjoy). There is nothing 'wrong' with my system and many people who have heard it say it is the best system they've ever heard. I will remind everyone that this hobby is very subjective and presentations will vary substantially without any being 'wrong'.

In the same way that Christian found that injecting some tubes in his system (in his case the phono stage) improved dimensionality, I was merely trying to do the same. I also mention in the same thread that I have found a lot of what I was looking for in CAT (tube) amps. I'm sure that's not the only way to go about it - hence my wanting to try the Lamm phono with my Pass pre and amps.

MadFloyd, great to hear that CAT got you closer to your real! CAT tonality, bass, and dynamics are hard to beat. CAT along with VAC and Lamm is the best tube gear on earth.

As an additional thought - and apologies for the off topic - if NADAC is your preferred taste for digital, try a quality outboard clock with your dac. I know it's heresy to say this in this sub-forum :) , but your digital will be so good on quality recordings, you will not care if you are listening to analog or digital.

Anyways, good luck shoring up analog.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Rockitman,
Congrats for pushing the envelope. Excellent to hear you are reaching new frontiers.

Out of curiosity, as an experienced analog guy, how would you assess changes in phono stages to changes in cartridges?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Rockitman,
Congrats for pushing the envelope. Excellent to hear you are reaching new frontiers.

Out of curiosity, as an experienced analog guy, how would you assess changes in phono stages to changes in cartridges?

to me...the phono stage makes the biggest impact on sound...more so than the cart given a top tier cart.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Perhaps a link to the thread from "the other forum" would be more useful than having to take excerpts. :) I think there's many other thoughts there.

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/the-audio-vault/general-audio/12539-in-search-of-rounder-images

After reading it, I feel it was a pity Ian did not have access to an Audio Research Reference Phono 3 or 10 - 74 dB gain, Fet inputs for low noise and high dynamics , tubes for gain and buffer and a balanced output. Although I have no experience with his preamplifier, I have found that some balanced input solid state preamplifiers sound less dynamic in single ended mode.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
David, I'm a bit late to this thread. I have heard Ian's system many times. It has the highest resolution of any system that I have ever heard, and, depending on the recording, it is utterly natural and convincing sounding.

+ 1

There's no reason for David to speculate about the resolution of the system if he hasn't heard it. I did, just like Peter.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Al, you're assuming that I'm unfamiliar with Pass electronics, the Kronos or Magicos but in fact I know each component extremely well and as as a system. If I had said anything regarding the system's resolution, which I didn't, wouldn't have been speculative! If you read my post the mention of resolution was in relation to the Lamm and highlighting a problem in the system. If I misjudged anything might have been Ian's level of dissatisfaction, I took what he wrote literally.

david

+ 1

There's no reason for David to speculate about the resolution of the system if he hasn't heard it. I did, just like Peter.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
There is nothing 'wrong' with my system and many people who have heard it say it is the best system they've ever heard. I will remind everyone that this hobby is very subjective and presentations will vary substantially without any being 'wrong'.

I'm sorry, I'll politely disagree. After 2 years with those speakers and a system MSRP north of $300k, you still couldn't get organic sound so something was *very* wrong. The same people who heard your system early on thought it was amazing when the power situation was all messed up and you had no low end. The same folks have said it continuously even though you weren't happy. Ultimately its your system, not theirs and that's what counts. You need to filter out the noise.

I hope you get it right, Ian - you've put a lot of time and energy into it that I admire. I read your other forum thread with interest, but honestly those folks are just driving you in more circles. If I were you, I'd focus on the sound I want and components known to do that and not what "fixes" the sound or is the hot recommendation of a forum person in a different state/country with an entirely different system. That will get you there.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
David, I'm a bit late to this thread. I have heard Ian's system many times. It has the highest resolution of any system that I have ever heard, and, depending on the recording, it is utterly natural and convincing sounding. In it's latest iteration, which is with the all Pass XS electronics, I don't hear something "wrong somewhere else in the system."

Clearly it's not to Ian.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'm sorry, I'll politely disagree. After 2 years with those speakers and a system MSRP north of $300k, you still couldn't get organic sound so something was *very* wrong. The same people who heard your system early on thought it was amazing when the power situation was all messed up and you had no low end.

Sorry to have to correct you, but I have heard Ian's system for the first time only after he solved his power problems. Also, define "organic sound". That is in the eyes of the beholder, and perceptions vary from one individual to another.

And if you are dissatisfied with certain aspects of your system that doesn't mean that others can't find it sound great, since those particular aspects do not bother them, as they are only there for a visit and don't have to live with the system. For example, a while ago the recessed images in my system/room drove me crazy, while others admired the sound. Only once I got my ASC window plugs last summer I was satisfied, because they took care of the problem which was a purely acoustic one, specific to my room, and had little to do with the system itself.

So I can put myself easily in Ian's shoes.

And while I tremendously admire Ian's system, I still prefer mine in some aspects of presentation (let's see how it is after I hear the CAT amp). After all, this is a very individual hobby, and absolute quality and personal preference do not always completely overlap. Just look at how different all the systems are of WBF members -- a lot of it has to do not just with quality that you can afford, but also with individual taste.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Are we not drifting too far off topic considering this is a thread about the Lamm LP2.1 and not how happy I am with my system? :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Are we not drifting too far off topic considering this is a thread about the Lamm LP2.1 and not how happy I am with my system? :)

That's the nature of the internet. I have no problem with it, as long as the discussion is interesting. I find that this one is, but opinions may vary.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sorry to have to correct you, but I have heard Ian's system for the first time only after he solved his power problems. Also, define "organic sound". That is in the eyes of the beholder, and perceptions vary from one individual to another.

And if you are dissatisfied with certain aspects of your system that doesn't mean that others can't find it sound great, since those particular aspects do not bother them, as they are only there for a visit and don't have to live with the system. For example, a while ago the recessed images in my system/room drove me crazy, while others admired the sound. Only once I got my ASC window plugs last summer I was satisfied, because they took care of the problem which was a purely acoustic one, specific to my room, and had little to do with the system itself.

So I can put myself easily in Ian's shoes.

And while I tremendously admire Ian's system, I still prefer mine in some aspects of presentation (let's see how it is after I hear the CAT amp). After all, this is a very individual hobby, and absolute quality and personal preference do not always completely overlap. Just look at how different all the systems are of WBF members -- a lot of it has to do not just with quality that you can afford, but also with individual taste.

Duly noted on pre-plc.

That said, re-reading this gem of a thread is a doozy - it really made me LOL with all the sycophantism.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17764-Madfloyd-s-System/page2

"I have had the privilege to listen to Ian's system. It is the best that I have ever heard."

You also mentioned twice about deficiencies in his system that you wouldn't comment upfront about, so I guess held back your true opinion. You guys also said the addition of the Pass phono was the best thing ever, which everyone is questioning now. Oh, and it all started with praising Viero cables (and the forum's "help") that were the "fix" to Ian's system woes lol.

Thinking about dumping a pair of $65k amps or $150k loudspeakers isn't ASC window plugs dude. It's remarkable to read a year ago where his system was compared with today.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Ian

Out of curiosity have you ever thought of calling Alon and discussing your set up and issues. Lately Alon has been showing tubes in his show set ups.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
"I have had the privilege to listen to Ian's system. It is the best that I have ever heard."

Which is what I still stand by. Honestly, you must have misread what I said here. Where did I talk about deficiencies?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing