Lamm Repair?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Any one has news on the Lamm move to Florida? When are they expected to be back in normal operation?
The new factory/showroom is under construction and they estimate end of November for the soft opening. Currently they’re accepting service items at their temporary location, also in Florida.

david

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Anyone had a recent experience with Lamm repair? I need to send in my LP2.1. One of the RCA jacks is broken. I'm wondering if it's better to have a local tech just replace it?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Anyone had a recent experience with Lamm repair? I need to send in my LP2.1. One of the RCA jacks is broken. I'm wondering if it's better to have a local tech just replace it?

In April ...
Repairs are being made right now in Florida by the Lamm service department. I just spoke to Elina Lamm on Thursday.

Reactions: Fishfood

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
Have any other LP 2.1 owners dealt with noise issues? I've got some hum/noise that is loud enough to be heard over very quiet parts of music from the listening chair. This isn't my recording, but it pretty much sounds like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/faxmop972rok7i1/Noise.m4a?dl=0

It's pretty much equal in both channels, and gets louder as the volume is turned up. I emailed Lamm and they claim it's normal, which doesn't seem right. As a test I tried floating the ground with a cheat plug, it didn't make any difference.

To rule out the cart, turntable, etc - I put another tubed phono stage into the system and it is whisper quiet with the same gear attached.

Not really sure what to do since Lamm didn't think it was an issue.

• Wow
Reactions: Argonaut

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Have any other LP 2.1 owners dealt with noise issues? I've got some hum/noise that is loud enough to be heard over very quiet parts of music from the listening chair. This isn't my recording, but it pretty much sounds like this:

It's pretty much equal in both channels, and gets louder as the volume is turned up. I emailed Lamm and they claim it's normal, which doesn't seem right. As a test I tried floating the ground with a cheat plug, it didn't make any difference.

To rule out the cart, turntable, etc - I put another tubed phono stage into the system and it is whisper quiet with the same gear attached.

Did you try fresh tubes? My LP2.1 has no noise.

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
Did you try fresh tubes? My LP2.1 has no noise.
I'm going to dig some out this weekend, I believe I have a backup set. The fact that it's coming from both channels & there isn't really any tube noise coming from the tweeter made me think it's less likely a tube issue. Though I should definitely rule that out.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

It sounds like a ground loop hum to me. Very common with phonostages Have you grounded the LP 2.1. Not that it’s a fix but try putting a cheater plug on the PC of the LP2.1 or try using a different AC outlet

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
It sounds like a ground loop hum to me. Very common with phonostages Have you grounded the LP 2.1. Not that it’s a fix but try putting a cheater plug on the PC of the LP2.1 or try using a different AC outlet
I've wondered if it might be a ground loop, though I can't seem to affect it. I've tried grounding the LP 2.1 directly to the preamp and then have also tried grounding it to my Shunyata Denali, but neither has made any difference. I also tried throwing a cheater plug on the LP 2.1 power cord, but it also didn't make any difference. Have tried the LP 2.1 directly into the wall, as well as different outlets in the Denali. So I'm stumped at this point.

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
Yeah, I've tried it in a few different outlets in my room. Still haven't been able to get the issue to change. Any other obvious troubleshooting/diagnostic things I might be overlooking? Not really sure what to do at this point.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I'm confident that if Lamm understood the issue as described they would not say it is normal. Feel free to PM me their e-mail reply, don't post it in this thread.

Is your unit new or used?
How old is it?
When did the 'noise' appear?
Does the noise occur with both MC and MM inputs or just one of those?
When was the last time you changed tubes?

Since a tube change is less cost and effort than a repair, I suggest swapping in a new 6x4 rectifier tube in the power supply. That can be a 6X4W, 6X4WA, 6202, EZ90, CV4005, CV493. Maybe that will help, maybe not.

Pointer to Rectifier tube in LP21.jpg

The LP2.1 is a very quiet phonostage.

theclipper

Jul 17, 2022
I'm confident that if Lamm understood the issue as described they would not say it is normal. Feel free to PM me their e-mail reply, don't post it in this thread.

Is your unit new or used?
How old is it?
When did the 'noise' appear?
Does the noise occur with both MC and MM inputs or just one of those?
When was the last time you changed tubes?

Since a tube change is less cost and effort than a repair, I suggest swapping in a new 6x4 rectifier tube in the power supply. That can be a 6X4W, 6X4WA, 6202, EZ90, CV4005, CV493. Maybe that will help, maybe not.

View attachment 122276

The LP2.1 is a very quiet phonostage.
I bought this unit used from another forum member. I believe it's around 5 years old.

The noise has been present since the first day I received the unit. I've pretty much always been able to hear some hum between tracks, and when nothing is playing. Recently, I've been testing out a new SUT which has allowed me to play at a louder level. Unfortunately the amount of hum/noise also increases as the volume is raised, to the point where I can hear it over very quiet parts of music.

I've swapped out all the tubes within the last few months, it did not seem to make any clear difference in the amount of noise being generated.

This is present on both inputs, and seems to be at pretty much the same level (when volume gain levels are equalized with a dB meter).

I will shoot you a PM once I can pull up Lamm's email to me.

Thanks much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing