Lampi Pacific / Wife / Pool Heater

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
After having purchased my Viking Acoustic Grande Voix speakers and Canary Audio Grand Reference Mono Amps with a C1800 Pre-Amp, I decided to investigate updating my Lumin X-1. I guess we are always looking to upgrade our system within reason....right? So, I started testing my wife about the possibility and she could not understand why I would want to do that because she thought our system sounded fantastic. I tried to explain that as good as our system sounds, I believe it could sound that much better. For the last month I have been doing a lot of research on many many DAC's. In fact, many people on this forum have helped me with finalizing my decision.

My wife has watched me with curiosity for the last month asking me why I have been spending so much time on the Internet. Oh, I responded just looking at what the possibilities are to improve our system. Even though I am functionally blind, I could hear the gasp of frustration in her voice and look. So now I have honed in on the Lampi Pacific. The question is how do I tell her? In the past, I could sneak $1000 cable by here without any problems. But how do you sneak a 28K DAC by her? That is a big dilemma.

On Saturday we were driving to the grocery store and I decided to bring the subject up. I gasped for air and then caught myself. She immediately said what's up. I said ahhh nothing. She said no come on tell me. I said well OK. I told her that I think I have finalize my decision to buy a new DAC. Thank God she was driving. Thankfully, she did not slam on the brakes. She calmly asked what are you looking at and how much does it cost. Nervously, I said $28k. She blurted out, are you freaking kidding me except she did not say freaking. I said, but I will sell my Lumin X-1. She said, you won't heat my pool but you want to spend 28K on a DAC. Hmmm, she got me there and I was speechless. I did not have an answer to her comment on heating the pool.

After calming down, she said if this will make you happy and the final component that you buy I guess it is OK. Well, to pour gas on the fire, I had to mention that I also needed a LDMS Music Server. That might've been a mistake...lol. She asked how much is that? I said 8-10k. To that she said I am heating the F#%&ing pool.

Anything to make my wife happy!!!!!!!!!! I bought my wife flowers at the grocery store.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My GF doesn't even have to say anything. I'm a whole 12" taller than her, but her shadow looms longer. She has the unerring ability not to blink first Lol.

Reactions: Mikem53

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
When it comes to heating a pool, the real question is how big will the fuel bill be? My pool (18x36') is heated nicely by solar from May through October, with daily water temps between 80-85F. But come November, with the sun lower in the sky, shorter and cloudy days, the water temp drops quickly into the 50's, never to return until April or May. As a daily lap swimmer for the last 20 years, I have been forced to switch to public pools in the winter months, where they maintain 82F regardless of the air temp. If I used propane (my only option- at $2.75/gallon)) to heat my own pool to 82F, I estimate it would cost upward of $3,000/month. And this is in Northern California!

"To that she said I am heating the F#%&ing pool."

What do you figure this will cost? (BTW, I love my Lumin X-1.)

Attachments

• Pool:Fog.jpeg
    Pool:Fog.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010322.jpeg
    P1010322.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: marslo and Golum

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
My spouse is a daily lap swimmer also and we have the same climate in Arizona. She can go to the club's pool at 83 which is a couple of blocks away that noone uses. Or I can spend $2k a month to heat the pool. I want the Lampi Pacific so I am going to heat the pool starting in February.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Lol.. I enjoy these stories as I have had my fair share of spousal abuse and dirty looks when it comes to my audio addiction.. I need to remind Her of her handbag and purse addiction occasionally , but I usually end up spending more and taking heat for it.. all’s fair in love and music...

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I remember the story of a man who told the executor of his will, if he died first, don't let his wife sell his hifi equipment for the same price as he told her what he had paid for it.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I've been single for 9 years now and I'm starting to think I can't afford a wife.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
.....she said if this will make you happy and the final component that you buy I guess it is OK.

Anything to make my wife happy!!!!!!!!!! I bought my wife flowers at the grocery store.
Will, I'm not sure what prompted you to even remotely suggest that any piece would be the FINAL component that you will ever buy. As most of us know, that is a rookie audiophile mistake. If you make it again (and most of us have) it will surely cost you a lot more than flowers!! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jturbo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing