LampizatOr Amber 2 - heavily underestimated gem

pi.bond

Jul 13, 2019
My buddy got back to me and he didn't want me to list everything without checking with Parts Connexion, but it appears the upgrade consisted of numerous diodes, resistors, caps, silver wiring, and a high quality fuse.

This list likely is not everything, but should give an idea of the updates.

Granted the SFD-2 was, and still is according to the above used value estimate, more expensive than the Amber 2 and Amber 3. It could be as simple as the SFD-II using better components. So maybe a more appropriate comparison would be with the Atlantic or Golden Atlantic where there are better components in the DAC.

Reactions: wisnon

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
My buddy got back to me and he didn't want me to list everything without checking with Parts Connexion, but it appears the upgrade consisted of numerous diodes, resistors, caps, silver wiring, and a high quality fuse.

This list likely is not everything, but should give an idea of the updates.

Granted the SFD-2 was, and still is according to the above used value estimate, more expensive than the Amber 2 and Amber 3. It could be as simple as the SFD-II using better components. So maybe a more appropriate comparison would be with the Atlantic or Golden Atlantic where there are better components in the DAC.
True...but amber 3 is a step up from Amber 2. Circuit more refined and optimised according to Lukasz.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
IMHO not step up but rather giant step up...still can’t believe what i/we heard from it...

pi.bond

Jul 13, 2019
For the Amber 3 listening was the source PCM? Also, I see Golum has a GG, so from that perspective how does the Amber 3 compare to the GG2 on PCM? I believe they are both using the new 53 engine, so that is common among them. I know the GG2 has the DHT going for it and the ability to swap different tubes - so the sound will be different from that perspective.

I could get my Amber 2 upgraded to Amber 3, but I'd hate to put down the money and then have my buddies SFD-2 still sound so much better.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
For the Amber 3 listening was the source PCM? Also, I see Golum has a GG, so from that perspective how does the Amber 3 compare to the GG2 on PCM? I believe they are both using the new 53 engine, so that is common among them. I know the GG2 has the DHT going for it and the ability to swap different tubes - so the sound will be different from that perspective.

I could get my Amber 2 upgraded to Amber 3, but I'd hate to put down the money and then have my buddies SFD-2 still sound so much better.
All comparison was done purely with PCM. A3 is using the e53 and I'm sure that this makes it so good. I have latest GG2 and to me A3 was very close in terms of reproduction. I still liked mine better as it had more of everything but difference was not night and day. And yes DHTs add magic but still - they should for the price gap involved :).
If you read what in my first few posts, A3 excels in the areas you mentioned SF was better than A2 and frankly I just can't foresee the scenario where the a3 would sound worse than SF, as it just kicks so much above its price range that it makes it scary.
BTW unit I had at home is the basic one meaning SE, no VC but with tube recti.

I hope this helps you a bit.

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Interesting findings, Pi. I would mention that the Amber 2 underwent a few revisions over time before finally becoming what is today the Amber 3. That said, even the earliest Amber 2s were pretty solid so I'm surprised a modified Sonic Frontier was able to hang.

I strongly doubt it still would with an Amber 3 though, as the new digital engine, analog output stage/tube compliment and refinements over time have been substantial.

pi.bond

Jul 13, 2019
In researching the SFD-2 MKII we found one of the items that may make the unit sound so great (in addition to the SE+ mods) is it contains 2 of the UltraAnalog 20400A DAC chips run in a fully balanced configuration. These were the most expensive and sophisticated R2R Dac chips of their time and can be found in other top tier DACs including the Mark Levinson 30.5.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
those are receiver chips I think, the pacific microsonic devices were the dac chips.

the dac does a max of 24/48. The SFD-2 does 24/96.

Edit: I stand corrected. Its the PMDs that are digital receiver chip (plus an UA receiver) and the UltraAnalogs D20400A are the converters. Pardon me.

The SFD-1 MKII shares many features with the critically acclaimed SFD-1 MKII. the SFD-1 MKII incorporates the pacific microsonics PMD 100 HDCD digital filter/decoder and utilizes the same UltraAnalog D20400A digital-to-anolog converter. This digital module offers the latest and best sounding technology currently available for digital conversion and, aside from having an already ultra-low intrinsic jitter, the digital receiver rejects incoming jitter from the digital source from 1 kHz and above. In addition, three raw power supplies feed the digital and output circuity and, as part of the output stage, two 6922 tubes bring the SFD-1 MKII to life with an extremely neutral and natural sounding character.
As with all sonic Frontiers' Products, a high mass chassis encloses the highest quality parts and uncompromising craftmanship, combining to provide an exceptional value in digital-to-analog conversion.

Specifications
Note: Specifications ratings based on the nominal power line input.
Input Receiver UltraAnolog AES20 AES/EBU
ultra-low jitter Input Receiver HDCD Digital Filter/Decoder Pacific Microsonics PMD100
D/A Converter UltraAnalog D20400A (1 Dual)
Low Pass Analog Filter Proprietary passive configuration
Frequency Response 5Hz to 20kHz +/-0.25 dB
Intrinsic Jitter 105 dB (Balanced)

Crosstalk >105 dB @ 1 kHz > 95 dB 20 Hz to 20kHz THD

SFD-2 :
This DAC contains 2 of the much vaunted UltraAnalog 20400A DAC chips run in a fully balanced configuration. These were the most expensive and sophisticated R2R Dac chips of their time and can be found in other top tier dacs like the Mark Levinson 30.5, Spectral SDR2000 and Stax X1T. These chips were considered superior to the Burr Brown pcm63's and 1704's but were hideously expensive to make. This Dac is fully functional and has the original 20400a chips which are fully functioning. (Dacs which have been "upgraded" to SE status from parts connexion may have the Dac chips replaced with Wolfson delta-sigma chips
).

See cost details of upgrades here: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...s-sfd-1-mkiise-and-sfl-2-combo-2-5k-usd.6962/

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
88C6A372-9AF0-4250-B927-8BC909609F42.jpeg
A3 started his new life at friends place yesterday...:)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
He was in love after literally few minutes...

ArthurOtt

Jul 1, 2019
I recently received my Amber 3 which is replacing a Lampizator Big 6 which sounded great, especially with the 16/44 files on my NAS (ripped from my CD collection). The difference was almost immediately apparent. The Amber 3 is more detailed, less dark and closed in. It has a larger soundstage, more details on the instruments (you can better hear the individual bass notes) and a more open and clear presentation. It also has some of the advanced technology missing in the Big 6 such as autosensing of the file type. You can throw just about any PCM or DSD file at the Amber 3 and it will handle it. The Big 6 would play DSD files but you had to manually switch to the DSD engine. The Amber 3 is still breaking in but I'm very happy so far. I will write an update in a few weeks.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm really glad that you like it and with some hours on it it will open up additionally so your pleasure rate will go even higher.
Wise choice you made ;)

abdodson

Feb 18, 2019
Been searching the web for the output voltage specs for the unbalanced output for the Amber 3. Anyone know?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I believe that the one which was at my place had it at close to 3V but I might be wrong. Will try to check...

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Good thing is that I’m not deaf :D.
Would be nice if moderators could change the thread name to “Amber 3...” instead of “Amber 2...” as we speak actually about 3..much appreciated if possible.

Reactions: christoph

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
A fascinating professional review was just published by Dave Hanson, one of the editors of Enjoy the Music.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1019/LampizatOr_Amber_III_DAC_Review.htm

Thanks for your efforts, Dave!

If you go to the end of the review and see the scores, the Amber III scores a 5 out of 5 on everything except fit and finish where it scores a 4, I think that´s the most impressive score I´ve ever seen on the Enjoy the Music site, the Amber must be a serious music making machine and it makes you wonder how much better the Atlantic or Pacific can be and if you really need more than what the Amber offers sound quality wise.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing