Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi,
It depends on the group of tubes you use. Right now i don't have a Tak rectifier. From what I have read that pushes the KT 170s very well and i believe Steve Williams uses the Tungsol TS JAN CTL 6SN7 GT and i don’t have that tube either.
So I really can’t say.
But I will do a shoot out between these two groups eventually.
Frankie, 6N1P, Bendix 6384
Tak, TS JAN CTL 6SN7 GT, Kt 170s.
Right now I’d say the type of music you play and your taste will determine which is best.
Clearly, IMO the tube selections made by members boils down to same factors'
One's system
one's ears
availability of desired tubes (if I find a tube I like in my system I only buy it if I can also buy backups) SAs for the Tak 274B in my system it was an ear opener and permanent part of my tube set

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I did not like the sound with the Bendix 6384s. I found that it lost some energy and power. It was a bit softer than with the EL51s which are still my favorite.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Are 6550s an option? I remember ARC was always partial to them. Any tried them if they are? I read somewhere they might be possible.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
They are an option….but i assume wildly that new production might suck in there

Reactions: dminches

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have NOS TS6550's from 1969. It is my go to tube and I won't use anything else.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have a quad of GEC KT88s and thought they would be my tube of choice. I didn’t really like them. Of course, trying them again would be a good idea if I wasn’t so lazy.

Steve Williams

I have a quad of GEC KT88s and thought they would be my tube of choice. I didn’t really like them. Of course, trying them again would be a good idea if I wasn’t so lazy.
I have quad matched sets of red Lion KT88 and KT77 and I still prefer the TS KT170

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I’m hearing some good press about the Sophia tubes. They have a blue 274b called the Sophia Aqua and a Sophia Electric Blue 6SN7. Several well known reviewers have waxed enthusiastically over these tubes. Has anyone tried them with Horizon?

Reactions: ctydwn

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I have quad matched sets of red Lion KT88 and KT77 and I still prefer the TS KT170
Funny I bought a quad of KT 88s also and have never opened them. It was several months later that my Horizon arrived and no one was talking about them anymore. Most were discussing the KT 170s and now of course at least somewhat the Bendix 6384s.

Steve Williams

Funny I bought a quad of KT 88s also and have never opened them. It was several months later that my Horizon arrived and no one was talking about them anymore. Most were discussing the KT 170s and now of course at least somewhat the Bendix 6384s.
Steve

as I’ve said before when it comes to tube rolling it boils down to
your ears
your wallet
your system
your room

one man’s passion is another man’s poison.

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
I’m hearing some good press about the Sophia tubes. They have a blue 274b called the Sophia Aqua and a Sophia Electric Blue 6SN7. Several well known reviewers have waxed enthusiastically over these tubes. Has anyone tried them with Horizon?
I acquired a Sophia Aqua 274b rectifier in January 2023. Up to that point, I had experimented with several rectifiers in my Pacific and since then in my Horizon. I found that there were differences, often mixtures of pro and con. The Sophia Aqua was by comparison a stunning improvement.

A deeper and better resolved sound stage. That sound stage is populated by more realistic instruments & vocals. Bass is better articulated. Backgrounds are blacker and quieter. Specific to my VSA VR100XS speaker system, the in-the-room surround sound is more realistic and better integrated with the front sound stage. The most striking improvement is in the depth and precise instrument placement of the front sound stage. Individual instruments' phrases can be more easily followed even in complex passages (e.g. Bruckner, Mahler, Shostakovich).

Last edited:

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Yes. That’s so true. I do like the KT 170s. The KT 88quad didn’t cost a fortune. So I will try them at some point.

I’m getting a Tak for a trial so I’ll try it with the KT 170s and the TS 6SN7 to see which I prefer.

So far no tube combo I’ve tried has succeeded in making the Horizon sound bad. I don’t believe it’s possible.

I am trying a different rectifier that a friend recommended with the 6384. It’s an AZ Valvo mesh plate. It didn’t cost a fortune so why not? It is kind of fun learning about all the choices available. It’s amazing to me all the colors, sizes, and shapes tubes come in.

Lukasz and his team hit it out of the park when they engineered the Horizon to work with what seems like an infinite variety of tubes.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I acquired a Sophia Aqua 274b rectifier in January 2023. Up to that point, I had experimented with several rectifiers in my Pacific and since then in my Horizon. I found that there were differences, often mixtures of pro and con. The Sophia Aqua was by comparison a stunning improvement.

A deeper and better resolved sound stage. That sound stage is populated by more realistic instruments & vocals. Bass is better articulated. Backgrounds are blacker and quieter. Specific to my VSA VR100XS speaker system, the in-the-room surround sound is more realistic and better integrated with the front sound stage. The most striking improvement is in the depth and precise instrument placement of the front sound stage. Individual instruments' phrases can be more easily followed even in complex passages (e.g. Bruckner, Mahler, Shostakovich).
Thanks for the update o the Sophia Aqua. Sounds like it’s the tube to try.
Here is info on the Sophia 6SN7.

Sophia Aqua 274b

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Has anyone tried a Synergistic Research Purple Fuse in the Horizon?
If so, which value did you choose (preferably for 230V), one to one replacement or higher (SR are said to blow easyly)?
What was your result soundwise?
I might be going that way...
Thank you!

takacs75

Nov 17, 2020
Hungary
Has anyone tried a Synergistic Research Purple Fuse in the Horizon?
If so, which value did you choose (preferably for 230V), one to one replacement or higher (SR are said to blow easyly)?
What was your result soundwise?
I might be going that way...
Thank you!
I’ve had a lots of SR fuse in my system all the colors, black, red, orange and purple. I loved the purple untill I haven’t tried the QSA. Very expensive but way much better than the SR. I have QSA silver fuse in my Horizon. Neved had any problem with SR fuse I used 2A fuse

Reactions: Charlie B.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Looks like the silver QSA costs approx 10% of the value of the Horizon - do you think the sound improvement is value for money? I'm not asking from a critical perspective - am genuinely interested if switching fuses can lift the sound quality enough to justify the cost.

Reactions: Charlie B.

takacs75

Nov 17, 2020
Hungary
Looks like the silver QSA costs approx 10% of the value of the Horizon - do you think the sound improvement is value for money? I'm not asking from a critical perspective - am genuinely interested if switching fuses can lift the sound quality enough to justify the cost.
A big yes!

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Just found this in the manual:

"Fuse Change
(...) The fuses are 2A (or 3,15A for USA/Japan/Taiwan)
they are slow blow, and overrated by the factor of 2. Therefore it is impossible for the fuse to blow without a specific reason - a failure inside the player. Consequently, if the fuse burns, it is a signal to send the dac for service and NOT change the fuse.
Obviously the second fuse will burn as well.
WE ABSOLUTELY DO NOT ALLOW changing the fuses for any larger size than 2A (3,15) or installing the “audiophile silver bolts” in place of the fuse. Fuses are there mainly to SAVE YOUR LIFE. And we mean that. You can experiment with audiophile grade fuses but not DEAD BOLTS please."

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
DON'T PLAY WITH MOTHER NATUURE!

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Time has been sneaking away from us, but I wanted to share a late video introduction of one of our recent exhibitions of the Horizon DAC at AXPONA: We managed some excellent sound and were very proud of the outcome.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing