Lampizator Best300B Dac?

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Does anyone have information about or heard the "Lampizator Best300B" DAC?

I found out about it from a guy in the US that I was buying some tubes from for my Baltic. It does not show on the Lampi US or EU sites but does on Best300B.com. Is this old news?

It uses a 5U4G rectifier and two 300B tubes. It goes for 4K euros and does not come with tubes.

TECHNICAL HIGHLIGHTS

• Using DHT - Directly Heated Triode tubes - fabulously musical and easily available
  • Running in Single Ended Triode (SET) mode - very puristic and elegant schematics
  • Conversion by means of Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC (R2R) without any silicon in the path
  • DSD seamlessly playing from mixed PCM playlist (up to 256xDSD) via USB
  • Our best True Copper metal foil output capacitors
  • Zero global feedback, zero local feedback, no opamps and no transistors
  • Best type of rectifier - Tube Dual Diode 5U4G

Geerock

Apr 17, 2022
Frankly I think you get more with the Baltic 3. Same digital engine. Options on tubes. It has both balanced and SE. And it's less expensive. My nephew had his delivered a few weeks ago and brought it over so I could hear it and I was very impressed....so much so I ordered a Lampizator of my own. By all accounts the folks at Lampi say this thing came out even better than expected. Havent heard or know anything about the BEST300B piece.

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Frankly I think you get more with the Baltic 3. Same digital engine. Options on tubes. It has both balanced and SE. And it's less expensive. My nephew had his delivered a few weeks ago and brought it over so I could hear it and I was very impressed....so much so I ordered a Lampizator of my own. By all accounts the folks at Lampi say this thing came out even better than expected. Havent heard or know anything about the BEST300B piece.
Thanks. Actually I have owned a Baltic 3 for about 6 months. It is wonderful. I was just curious about the 300B as I had not read anything about it until today.

Reactions: Geerock

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
Thanks. Actually I have owned a Baltic 3 for about 6 months. It is wonderful. I was just curious about the 300B as I had not read anything about it until today.
Frank just canceled my order for a BEST300B today and said that they will no longer be available after I spent a lot of money for tubes, and Lukasz had said that it would ship last week. I am looking for another company to deal with. I am less than pleased with Lampizator. Beyond that, the receipt for the BEST300B said that there was a 7 day return policy from the time of purchase, the item couldn't have been opened, and you pay return shipping. The open box is irrelevant because they were apparently not even constructed prior to ordering them. I am guessing that this was due to low profit margins, but even so, why not a simple restocking fee to compensate? Anyway, I don't believe that you can currently purchase one from what Frank said in today's email. Any other DAC recommendations?

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. If you are in the US I would call Rob at Lampizator NA. Perhaps he can give you more information on why that collaboration went sour?

I have found Lampizator NA to be great to deal with. Given the circumstances perhaps they might sweeten the deal on a Baltic.

Good luck.

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
Hi Mourip,

Thanks. I first was thinking about buying the earlier version Atlantic he had advertised, but he didn't respond until after I "purchased" the BEST300B. I had considered buying the Baltic 3, but it's a little bit pricey for me. Now though, I honestly don't care to deal with them at all if I can find a reasonably priced alternative. I can get a Holo Audio May KTE, but from what I hear it's a slight improvement over the Yggdrasil, my current DAC, and I can't see spending that much for a small improvement. Thanks for responding though.

Best Regards,

Lou

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. If you are in the US I would call Rob at Lampizator NA. Perhaps he can give you more information on why that collaboration went sour?

I have found Lampizator NA to be great to deal with. Given the circumstances perhaps they might sweeten the deal on a Baltic.

Good luck.
Well, the sale is apparently on again. Lukasz emailed me saying that it would begin shipping to BEST300B customers today, yesterday by now I imagine due to time differences. I can't compare it to the Baltic, but I'll post regarding the sound as soon as it becomes practical. Not sure what, if any, burn in time is required.

Reactions: mourip

Geerock

Apr 17, 2022
Capacitors always need a little time to form and settle in, especially the larger, and higher quality ones. Tubes also, although not as much usually.
I will say this, I saw 2 different reviews from folks that went from the Yggy to a Lampi and it was no contest. Hopefully, you'll be as thrilled as they were, but be sure to let it settle in.

Reactions: L3RD

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
Capacitors always need a little time to form and settle in, especially the larger, and higher quality ones. Tubes also, although not as much usually.
I will say this, I saw 2 different reviews from folks that went from the Yggy to a Lampi and it was no contest. Hopefully, you'll be as thrilled as they were, but be sure to let it settle in.
Thanks! I know that Don Sachs has purchased a Big 7, but I don't know if he has received it yet. He went from a Yggy, to a Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 DELUXE ES9038PRO and was happy with that, for a time. I think that my speakers may be a bigger issue than my DAC. I was reading about Don's progression through different gear and he mentioned his Audio Nirvana AN15 Alinco drivers having issues at times. I wish I had held onto the B&Ws now, just to narrow down the source of my issue with occasional brightness. Anyway, perhaps the drivers will have less issues with the Lampizator. I would like to know the value of the coupling capacitors, I plan to install ODAM capacitors as soon as possible.

Reactions: Geerock

Geerock

Apr 17, 2022
Thanks! I know that Don Sachs has purchased a Big 7, but I don't know if he has received it yet. He went from a Yggy, to a Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 DELUXE ES9038PRO and was happy with that, for a time. I think that my speakers may be a bigger issue than my DAC. I was reading about Don's progression through different gear and he mentioned his Audio Nirvana AN15 Alinco drivers having issues at times. I wish I had held onto the B&Ws now, just to narrow down the source of my issue with occasional brightness. Anyway, perhaps the drivers will have less issues with the Lampizator. I would like to know the value of the coupling capacitors, I plan to install ODAM capacitors as soon as possible.
Don has had his Big 7 for quite some time now and loves it. He said and I quote...."it makes everything else sound like a toy."
I also have the MP D2 MK3 and for him to make a statement like that is surprising but I take his word so I also ordered a Big 7. It's in transit as we speak.
As for a cap change... I would hold off and get a listen first. Lampizator uses Jupiter, Dueland, Myflex, and Lampi branded caps from Myflex and Mundorf. All fine caps. I know Don has a hard on for those ODAM caps, and they are a fine piece, but you might want to see and hear what's under the hood first. You wont find junk in a Lampi case.

Reactions: christoph

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
Don has had his Big 7 for quite some time now and loves it. He said and I quote...."it makes everything else sound like a toy."
I also have the MP D2 MK3 and for him to make a statement like that is surprising but I take his word so I also ordered a Big 7. It's in transit as we speak.
As for a cap change... I would hold off and get a listen first. Lampizator uses Jupiter, Dueland, Myflex, and Lampi branded caps from Myflex and Mundorf. All fine caps. I know Don has a hard on for those ODAM caps, and they are a fine piece, but you might want to see and hear what's under the hood first. You wont find junk in a Lampi case.
I'll do that. I was a V-Cap fan before Don ever used them, though he beat me to the punch on the ODAMs. I try not to tie up too much of his time, he's far too generous with it. Anyway, I was emailing him about the DAC. He said that he had purchased it, I didn't know that he had received it. His equipment page hasn't been updated. If you are going to sell your DAC let me know, my son may be interested. I have heard that the BEST300B is a mini 7, so hopefully it at least embarrasses the Yggy. Hope you are impressed with your DAC as Don is with his!

Last edited:

Geerock

Apr 17, 2022
I'll do that. I was a V-Cap fan before Don ever used them, though he beat me to the punch on the ODAMs. I try not to tie up too much of his time, he's far too generous with it. Anyway, I was emailing him about the DAC. He said that he had purchased it, I didn't know that he had received it. His equipment page hasn't been updated. If you are going to sell your DAC let me know, my son may be interested. I have heard that the BEST300B is a mini 7, so hopefully it at least embarrasses the Yggy. Hope you are impressed with your DAC as Don is with his!
I still have the MP mk2 with the 4490 chip in it. It's a nice piece too. I almost definitely will put the mk3 up for sale if the Big 7 does half what it's supposed to.
If you want to help your son get some upgraded equipment I'll be glad to sell cheap. I have tons of equipment laying around from years of upgrading. Speakers, amps, cables, etc.
Its time to move this stuff to a new home.

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
I still have the MP mk2 with the 4490 chip in it. It's a nice piece too. I almost definitely will put the mk3 up for sale if the Big 7 does half what it's supposed to.
If you want to help your son get some upgraded equipment I'll be glad to sell cheap. I have tons of equipment laying around from years of upgrading. Speakers, amps, cables, etc.
Its time to move this stuff to a new home.
You sound like me! I have a pair of Thiel 7s! I can't set them up on a long wall, so I haven't even bothered trying to sell them. He has some 801M speakers with improved components in the crossovers, and is pretty happy with them. He could do better with his amp and preamp. The DAC is the most critical thing, he's using an inexpensive Schiit DAC I was playing with along with some headphones.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Congrats on your incoming B7 :cool:
What tubes will you use?
What tubes does Don use in his B7?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I had an Yggy and then a Terminator 2 before my Baltic and it easily beats them both. The others are good DACs but the Baltic has soul!

Geerock

Apr 17, 2022
What tubes will you use?
Don started with some NOS 46's but didnt realize he had 4.5 and 5 volt heater choices. So he says he fried the 46's because of that. He's using 300b's now and says he's loving them....not sure what brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: L3RD and christoph

Geerock

Apr 17, 2022
What tubes will you use?
I have plenty of tubes laying around. I must have a dozen or so NOS rectifiers from the 50's and 60's (Phillip's, GE, RCA, Mullard). And I have both Linlai Elite 300b's and new in box Dawning series we300b plus. Also some Linlai Elite 101d's. I also bought a set of best300b px25rk's and a 5u4grk lightly used. I have some great 46's and the military version VT63's also but I would need to pop a resistor or 2 in the circuit to get the heater voltage down to 2.5 or so. If I go digging around I probably have a couple other things floating around. The tube rolling curse strikes again.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Don started with some NOS 46's but didnt realize he had 4.5 and 5 volt heater choices. So he says he fried the 46's because of that. He's using 300b's now and says he's loving them....not sure what brand.
The 46 need adapters to be used in the Pacific with the 5-way raptors switch on the 45 position.
At least that is how I used the 46 that I sonically preferred over the 45.
I'm not a big fan of 300Bs in Lampi DACs.
I much prefer the RK PX25 and very much prefer the RK 242.

Reactions: L3RD and Geerock

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing