Lampizator CD Transport question

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Dear forum members. I tried the search function but couldn't find an answer.

Do Lampizator owners only use music servers as transport?

I am still a CD/SACD person. I also have a Room setup but this is my second choice.

My question is:

1) Can you use a CD/SACD transport with a Golden Gate DAC? Is it optimum?

2) Are new Lampizator DACs come with Room Ready? Do they decode MQA through Room (Tidal)? Do I need a separate device such as a dCS Network bridge?

Thank you.

Love and respect, Cagdas.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi I have put in the esoteric k01, Nagra, and MSB transports into the Lampi among others. So you can use whatever you like. I personally like the esoteric as transports.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Thank you Bonzo.

So I can play SACD CDs through a SACD transport and Golden Gate process this am I right?

Also my other question was about Room + Tidal. Can I connect my Synology NAS with an ethernet cable to Lampizator DACs? I don't see ethernet inputs on pictures but who knows.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you Bonzo.

So I can play SACD CDs through a SACD transport and Golden Gate process this am I right?

Also my other question was about Room + Tidal. Can I connect my Synology NAS with an ethernet cable to Lampizator DACs? I don't see ethernet inputs on pictures but who knows.

The SACD will get down sampled to CD layer

To play SACD as is you need same - like dCS playing into dCS or esoteric.

But overall I prefer the end sound through a Lampi, of an SACD playing the CD layer as compared to SACD layer on dCS or esoteric. If you prefer one, it won't matter if it is CD or SACD, though if you prefer the dCS/esoteric, yes, the SACD will be preferred to CD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dear forum members. I tried the search function but couldn't find an answer.

Do Lampizator owners only use music servers as transport?

I am still a CD/SACD person. I also have a Room setup but this is my second choice.

My question is:

1) Can you use a CD/SACD transport with a Golden Gate DAC? Is it optimum?

You can use a CD/SACD transport to play the CDs and the CD layer of SACD/CD's. The SACD layer is encrypted and can't be transmitted between transport and DAC unless the manufacturer has the expertise and paid the licensees to do it in a proper custom protocol both sides. Reading only the CD layer is not optimum IMHO - most of the time the SACD layer has the best sound quality. It is why unhappily there is a cult in SACD collecting, similar to the old vinyl, creating very high prices for some SACD's.

2) Are new Lampizator DACs come with Room Ready? Do they decode MQA through Room (Tidal)?

I am not an expert in Lampizator, but I would not expect it. As far as I know until now Lampizator has sourced the USB receiver boards from other vendors, they have not developed their own.

Do I need a separate device such as a dCS Network bridge?

Thank you.

Love and respect, Cagdas.

Probably yes. But there are several levels of MQA comparability, in order to get the full MQA system benefits the decoding should be done in the DAC.

You have to weight how important DSD and MQA are for you.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I use La Fontaine as a transport to play cds with Pacific DAC.
The playback is on the level of best Redbook files from Aurender W20.
It does not play sacd’s tough. La Fontaine is equipped wit VRDS neo mechanism from Esoteric, I use a simple BNC cable between the transport and the DAC.
I tried once ethernet input of my Pacific fed from LDMS with generic switch, during the visit of Lucas Domanski who is the behind LDMS brand.
It requires longer audition but the first impression was promissing, on par with unpowered usb connection.
As LDMS is a Windows based server you can have it with Roon installed whilst Aurender under Linux has not enough computing power for Roon.
To play my sacd’s I use La Fontaine as a player . I ripped also discs to dsf files using Pioneer blu ray player, so I can play them as DSD from W20 as well.
Regarding MQA Lampizator is not MQA capable but if you buy Aurender there is an option to make the first unfold, it costed me around 50 euros for my W20, it makes possible to play Tidal MQA albums up to 24/96.

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
You might be right, it is the same with my VRDS in La Fontaine. However, I have recently read about a new transport which can deliver also dsd to the DAC but I can’t remember the brand.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Isn’t there a spoiler in the sacd protocol to prevent spdif output or perhaps that was just my old esoteric x01?!?

We delivered from esoteric k01 to Lampi with spdif on the but that was the CD layer. Not sacd. I have also done it with the P03 when I had visited the Lampi factory as Lukasz collects those transports (essentially K or P 01 to 03). None of these transports allow you to deliver to external dacs apart from their own the SACD layer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You might be right, it is the same with my VRDS in La Fontaine. However, I have recently read about a new transport which can deliver also dsd to the DAC but I can’t remember the brand.

That transport will be quite welcome

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Very interesting, but strange. As far as I see it, such transport can not be sold according to the SACD agreements. I have once seen a manufacturer listing this capability, but just for academical studies ... See what Wadax (and others, BTW) say about it http://www.wadax.eu/?q=atlantis/transport

"NATIVE SACD AND NATIVE PCM PLAYBACK

Atlantis Transport reads the native content of the disc being played and delivers an unaltered bit-accurate audio stream. Regardless of the media type used.

In the case of SACD, to enjoy the pure, bit-perfect, native DSD stream of an SACD, an Atlantis DAC is required. For this, a custom Wadax Link connection is required (dual Ethernet cable) and the encrypted DSD stream is sent through it."

The existing SACD ripping systems had to hack the SACD players to access the native content.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Very interesting, but strange. As far as I see it, such transport can not be sold according to the SACD agreements. I have once seen a manufacturer listing this capability, but just for academical studies ... See what Wadax (and others, BTW) say about it http://www.wadax.eu/?q=atlantis/transport

"NATIVE SACD AND NATIVE PCM PLAYBACK

Atlantis Transport reads the native content of the disc being played and delivers an unaltered bit-accurate audio stream. Regardless of the media type used.

In the case of SACD, to enjoy the pure, bit-perfect, native DSD stream of an SACD, an Atlantis DAC is required. For this, a custom Wadax Link connection is required (dual Ethernet cable) and the encrypted DSD stream is sent through it."

The existing SACD ripping systems had to hack the SACD players to access the native content.
I am not sure whether it delivers DSD or only PCM RB layer but it can be used as a transport for both cds and sacds

https://www.emmlabs.com/tsdx.php
https://www.emmlabs.com/tx2.php

Looks like DSD capable through optical:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/emm-labs-tsdx-cdsacd-transport

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing