Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well i might pull one or two more out of the sleeve but need to check compatibility and adapters...;)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I don’t know if I ever posted this here.
In tube rolling there are a few variables to consider.
What type of system in size
A given size or scale must be considered in obtaining the best tube for your setup and desire.
Next is the possible tilt of tone in any given this means tube rolling gets us where we want. But what we each need is on us alone. I’m saying this as we all have views on any given tube this is good to help you pick the best tube.
If someone asks me what dac to pic I’m very happy to say a lampizaror and aside from Its great sound , great value and over all consistent product support both in forums and factory support. A Lampi owner quickly realizes it’s a family affair to own one. I have owned many dacs in my life including ultra high end msb stacks. Non can be made to sound in a cornucopia manner like a Lampizator does in sounds. Some may claim they have the best balance all picked out for you. Well to me this is just not possible. And leads you to have fix your setup around it. Anyone who plays vinyl knows each cartridge has its one sound and yes varying VTF and VTA does allow for some tonal balance adjustments. But a lampizator dac has far more facets to pick from. lastly tube rolling is a fun thing and there is soo much info on many forums to allow a new comer to enjoy

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I'm confident you have very close to the best or even the best available Lampi tubes you'll ever find.

Game over. Sure you might still roll other tubes in. But they won't be better.

I am standing by for this corroboration. @Golum and @User211 Kindly provide info on the gain characteristics of the AD1s. Are they similar to that of the 300B or do they lean towards the PX25/KR242?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
For AD1, gain is normal i.e. lower than PX25 and 242.

That won't be true of RD27AS. It is a bit more powerful than a normal PX25. It has a 9.2 Watt heater. That's higher than any valve I have tried in a Lampi. Golum needs to tell us if it works.

Microphony for AD1 is ludicrously low. EML and KR cannot even get close with any of their valves I have come across. They are poor in this regard and they need to improve.

Reactions: adamaley

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Guys it’s not just gain in a LAMPI no tubes run at norm bias it’s why they last years
As such sound and gain don’t really work in unison

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Huh did we say it did Al? What people don't want is 242 level gain overloading their preamps.

BTW tube dampers are not needed for Tesla AD1. Chuck them away LOL.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I don’t know if I ever posted this here.
In tube rolling there are a few variables to consider.
What type of system in size
A given size or scale must be considered in obtaining the best tube for your setup and desire.
Next is the possible tilt of tone in any given this means tube rolling gets us where we want. But what we each need is on us alone. I’m saying this as we all have views on any given tube this is good to help you pick the best tube.
If someone asks me what dac to pic I’m very happy to say a lampizaror and aside from Its great sound , great value and over all consistent product support both in forums and factory support. A Lampi owner quickly realizes it’s a family affair to own one. I have owned many dacs in my life including ultra high end msb stacks. Non can be made to sound in a cornucopia manner like a Lampizator does in sounds. Some may claim they have the best balance all picked out for you. Well to me this is just not possible. And leads you to have fix your setup around it. Anyone who plays vinyl knows each cartridge has its one sound and yes varying VTF and VTA does allow for some tonal balance adjustments. But a lampizator dac has far more facets to pick from. lastly tube rolling is a fun thing and there is soo much info on many forums to allow a new comer to enjoy
Excellent post, Alfonzo :cool:

Reactions: Alrainbow

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Anything to report on these, or have I missed your impressions?
No no - you did not miss - I got the tubes but I'm struggling to get adapters @%^&^&*!@%$!@%^&$!#$!^@...everything is closed in China so won't have them before end of Feb maybe even mid March...bummer :(:mad:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Just run them on 4V heater. PX4 setting. Yes, they will work and be fine.
Note that AD1n is a different heater spec than original AD1. Its 2amps vs the 0.95 amp original spec. ie 4v*2amps...very close to PX25.
101d setting is 4.5v x1.1amps

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Note that AD1n is a different heater spec than original AD1. Its 2amps vs the 0.95 amp original spec. ie 4v*2amps...very close to PX25.
101d setting is 4.5v x1.1amps

I already said that post was wrong Norman. High heater works best in a Big 7 for AD1.

Go back and look.

It's fairly irrelevant anyway there really aren't many pairs in the world. Not saying getting some is impossible but it's not abundant by any means.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have a pair incoming.

Can you point me to your correction? I missed it.

FOUND IT!

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have a pair incoming.

Can you point me to your correction? I missed it.

FOUND IT!

And no adapters?

You might find it easier to go AD1-->B4->UX4 adapter wise. Those UX4->UX4 adapters look in short supply.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
All adapters seem to be an issue with the state of play in China.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Go AD1 to PX25(B4) for sure as above.

Why? Cos you can pull off the AD1 adapter and plug in a real PX25 or PX4, RD27AS etc without taking the B4 to UX4 out of the Lampi. Providing the pin receptors in the B4 adapter aren't too tight.

You also need less adapters that way.

Reactions: Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing