Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Hey Golum,

Thanks for the reply. I've got these, just to have a play around....

Haltron 5R4GY which is my fav so far. Lacks some stereo imaging but is ok all round
Philips 5R4GYS, a forward sounding valve that to me lacks lower bass, so immediately impressive but not brilliant.
274B Shuguang cheap as chips :) but average

I have NOS Sylvania 45 with etched bases.

I can't run 300b as my GG2 does not have a setting for it.

Cheers, Tim

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Before you go down the set road buy one new recti. It’s the one tube that should be new or near new. The set outputs can be older as they are used at 10/20%
See attached for a few cheap recti to buy

Reactions: christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hey Golum,

Thanks for the reply. I've got these, just to have a play around....

Haltron 5R4GY which is my fav so far. Lacks some stereo imaging but is ok all round
Philips 5R4GYS, a forward sounding valve that to me lacks lower bass, so immediately impressive but not brilliant.
274B Shuguang cheap as chips :) but average

I have NOS Sylvania 45 with etched bases.

I can't run 300b as my GG2 does not have a setting for it.

Cheers, Tim
Show us the back of your gg dAc please
300 b tubes tend to be slower than a px25 is. The px 25 to me is a halfway mark between a 45 and a 300b.
The 242 while to be the fav does not work well in all LAMPI dacs.
But the recti is tube to set the pace so to speak. No matter how good a output tube is of the recti is old or just not a good choice a less then good sound is heard.

Reactions: christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Until you get one good recti and confirm it’s virtues don’t spend the money on exp recti or output
Shanghai sorry for spelling makes a good 300b mesh to try as is there 274b recti.
The large metal base one I linked is where we all should start if I’m asked. It works in all LAMPI dacs very well.

Reactions: Tim F

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Hey Golum,
Obscure q! I see the 242 has high gain, any idea if this'll cause problems going into an ARC Ref 3 pre-amp?

Not ignoring rectifiers but some of these are potentially available.

Cheers, Tim

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Tim i drive with this Ref6 and have no issues overdriving the preamp. Now this also depends on the output voltage of the DAC so you need to check this as well as i could not use this tube in gg1 for example...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
No I love the 242 it’s my fav tube
It just does not work well in all dacs / systems.

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Such a drastically different view to my amigo Golum. Can you elaborate? Cheers, Tim

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Not sure but here goes
The 242 tube is a fast or is a balanced sound. It’s only draw back is it’s high output and this is not always obvious. In fact unless you hear it done well you may write it off.
It can over load the preamp
But more importantly it can effect the sound making it brittle or tense long before or clips the pre amp. for this reason I’m warning others.
Now of your dac has a vol control it’s most easy to make it work
I hope this is what you needed to know

Reactions: iain and bonzo75

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Not sure but here goes
The 242 tube is a fast or is a balanced sound. It’s only draw back is it’s high output and this is not always obvious. In fact unless you hear it done well you may write it off.
It can over load the preamp
But more importantly it can effect the sound making it brittle or tense long before or clips the pre amp. for this reason I’m warning others.
Now of your dac has a vol control it’s most easy to make it work
I hope this is what you needed to know

I can attest to the virtues of the 242 rectifier. Alas, it overdrove and distorted at peaks in my system. If it works in your system, definitely prioritize giving it a shot.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It is double the norm output voltage and due to its gain it peaks much more.
On another note the trp is much more tolerant and I’m loving it. It’s only down side is recti it’s all new and critical

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Does any of you know if the Ayon AA62B output tubes can be used in a Lampi DAC?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hey Golum,
Obscure q! I see the 242 has high gain, any idea if this'll cause problems going into an ARC Ref 3 pre-amp?

Not ignoring rectifiers but some of these are potentially available.

Cheers, Tim
If the 242 works in a system despite its high gain, it really is a killer tube :cool:

Reactions: iain

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing