Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yeah. Might take a month or two but it will. And will almost certainly be in CZ.

Just don't swoop in and grab the next pair available...;)

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I ordered some tubes from "Best 300b" about 3 weeks ago. It's been 3 weeks with no communication as to tracking, etc. I was only told by Frank that they would ship out 3/27. Are they usually reliable?

On the same day, I also ordered a recti from a Chinese company: EECTECH. They are providing absolutely no communication as to shipping, tracking-- only a auto generated email saying your order "has shipped." Has anyone dealt with EECTECH. Has anyone dealt with this company? Thanks

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I ordered some tubes from "Best 300b" about 3 weeks ago. It's been 3 weeks with no communication as to tracking, etc. I was only told by Frank that they would ship out 3/27. Are they usually reliable?

On the same day, I also ordered a recti from a Chinese company: EECTECH. They are providing absolutely no communication as to shipping, tracking-- only a auto generated email saying your order "has shipped." Has anyone dealt with EECTECH. Has anyone dealt with this company? Thanks

I'm not surprised by what I'm reading, but rest assured, you'd get your tubes.

Reactions: Golum

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I'm not surprised by what I'm reading, but rest assured, you'd get your tubes.

The Chinese company is coming through with tracking info.

"Best 300b": Radio Silence. One heck of a way to run a business -- take the money, promise a shipping date and ignore the customer. I guess I can file a claim with Paypal...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
The Chinese company is coming through with tracking info.

"Best 300b": Radio Silence. One heck of a way to run a business -- take the money, promise a shipping date and ignore the customer. I guess I can file a claim with Paypal...
Franek is on it and i assume he’ll get back to you asap...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Great

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Anyone know the filament spec for KR 242 i.e. volt and amp figures?

I have never been able to find it online.

Curious more than anything.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Impending apocalyptic battle.

With luck my Lampi should be back today. But given the lockdown maybe a few more days yet.

IMG_20200417_102123.jpg IMG_20200417_102448.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_102246.jpg
    IMG_20200417_102246.jpg
    993.4 KB · Views: 181

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Bravo - respect...can't wait to hear the result of the battle...
Osram looks amazing as well!!!
How would you rate the thickness of glass Tesla vs Osram?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I would say it's approximately the same.

I would also say the Marconi/Osram valves are the most beautiful triodes I own. Considering they are 20s or 30s they are phenomenal in terms of construction quality. I have a large collection of valves, not just for the Lampizator. I would say they are the top of the list. They really are extraordinary.

That said, RD27AS is excellent too. Obviously very well made, but just not as pretty.

Tap tests tell me microphony should be low with both of these. The Tesla's have a lower pitched tap test noise. Nice and dead sounding for sure. Always a good sign.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Tap test an EML AD1, EML Globe Mesh 45 or even an RK 300B and you know they just don't make the grade either of these do. Though the RKs were better than the EMLs, when put together right. I had to return the first pair, as they weren't

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What's left of the cross swords marking on a 100% Tesla AD1.

BTW Goran the RDs are the 75% ones. 100% still to come. I expect the 75% ones to sound slightly softer than the 100%.

Back to the Marconi/Osram glass. Whoever did the glass blowing for them was a complete master of the art. They are almost exactly the same size/proportion. I can't really tell them apart. Not so the RDs which are a different size. Maybe the next pair will be better.

IMG_20200417_114213.jpg

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Well here's my latest to go with my KR242's, I've picked up a PSVane ACME 274b and a Mullard (Holland) metal base GZ34 (second iteration). The PSVane is well known here, having an expansive soundstage, great dynamics and a very clean sound. The GZ34 I think is a bit more unusual.

So here's thoughts on the GZ. The output of this valve means a lower volume going into my pre-amp (ARC Ref 3). It is possible that if your preamp can't quite handle the 242's this may help. The stereo image isn't as expansive as the PSVane, it simply doesn't go as wide. Bass is thicker (perhaps not quite so tight), but it is very deep. I have almost full range JM Labs Scala Utopia so I'm talking the bottom octaves. On to the good piece, this is far less hifi than he PSVane, it has some sort of warmth in the midrange that makes kick drums and vocals sound superb. The stereo image is pushed back a little compared to the PSVane but not by too much. Treble extension is as good as the PSVane, it is not lacking in that frequency and upper octaves are clean. All in all it is underpinned with an amazing ability on bass drums and vocals, it has a strangely haunting quality, summing up the reason we buy valves over solid state. I'm quite amazed by this valve. I've got a lot of others that are on the cheaper side, Westinghouse 1940's 5u4g, Philips 5R4GYS, Haltron 5R4GY. All of these aren't really worth listening to compared to the GZ34 and PSVane. They are lagging far behind.
So to summarise if you're after a clean almost hifi sound with little warmth run the PSVane, if you are looking for some magic try a GZ34. The metal base version is key here, the newer ones aren't as good.
Cheers, Tim

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes...he corrected it. I have seen those on Ebay for up to $600each. I still have one. Gave one to Yoda and Al years ago. Dunno if they still have them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing