Lampizator Versus Aesthetix Pandora?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone compared directly a Lampizator DAC to the Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC?

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi Ron,

Happy New Year. We have come a very long way since the event in Munich last year with significant upgrades to the SGM hardware, operating system, and DSP settings in HQ Player. We have also learnt a lot about getting the best out of PCM DAC's, and on New Year's Eve, the SGM won a Blue Moon award.

What we are finding is that the current crop of discrete component R2R ladder DAC's are exhibiting a clear superiority over chipped R2R DAC's

Put a discrete R2R DAC on top of an active anti-vibration platform, and the digital playback is very significantly closing the gap with top class vinyl

The latest version of the Lampi GG is using high precision R2R boards, and has a significantly upgraded clocks for its USB receiver

Mike Lavigne has been getting jaw dropping results with his triple play of SGM > Aqua Formula sitting on Herzan

If you would like to demo a Aqua Formula we can arrange that, also if you wish to demo a Lampi GG we can arrange that too

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Ed, for your reply.

Which transports have you tried with the GG? Which do you recommend?

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I had a Lampizator dac and I replaced it with the Aesthetix Pandora. The Aesthetix was fuller in the mids and much more musical. The Lampizator was leaner and got tired of it quickly.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for responding. Are you sure the Pandora was not merely basting the music in the delicious caramel coating of tube sound?

Which DAC did you perceive to present the music with greater transparency and resolution?

With which DAC did you hear more details?

Which transport do you use with the Pandora?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I owned one of these--I'd certainly throw into the Transport Mix for your consideration :)

Downside?-- picky on CD-Rs:(

Good hunting

BruceD

TLO III.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Which CEC model is that?

Does any other CD transport maker use a belt drive system?

What is the current thinking on whether a transport like the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport -- which loads the data feed from a disc onto a memory chip before streaming the data from the memory chip to the DAC -- is a good design? Does this, as PS Audio suggests, solve jitter problems?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I owned one of these--I'd certainly throw into the Transport Mix for your consideration :)

Downside?-- picky on CD-Rs:(

Good hunting

BruceD

View attachment 30727

Which CEC model is that?

What is the current thinking on whether a transport like the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport -- which loads the data feed from a disc onto a memory chip before streaming the data from the memory chip to the DAC -- is a good design? Does this, as PS Audio suggests, solve jitter problems?

IIRC when I was in Utah visiting David he had a CEC. The only reason that tweaked my memory was David said the same thing about CD-R's but the sound was great

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I had a Lampizator dac and I replaced it with the Aesthetix Pandora. The Aesthetix was fuller in the mids and much more musical. The Lampizator was leaner and got tired of it quickly.

which Lampizator?

the DHT Lampi's (and at least 256dsd dacs) are a completely different breed than the others.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IIRC when I was in Utah visiting David he had a CEC. The only reason that tweaked my memory was David said the same thing about CD-R's but the sound was great

I have read we should avoid CD-R's with expensive CD players. The reflectivity of the reflecting layer is much lower than that of normal CDs and this forces the laser to increase significantly its power, reducing its typical lifetime. If someone however is mostly a LP or file user, using the CD player only occasionally, this should not be a problem. Some people say that some types of black CD-Rs, recorded in appropriate machines sound better than the original CD.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Which CEC model is that?

Yes Ron--this model is the latest Series lll CEC TLOX-- I owned the Black early version--same as David--maybe they have listened to the CD-R murmurings and this model delivers fine

There is of course the Esoteric Drives slated as SOTA also in the mix to audition together with the JMF from France--

http://jmf-audio.com/dmt37_en.htm

Ahem-- PS Audio Drive?--sorry not on my watch:eek:

BruceD

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I have read we should avoid CD-R's with expensive CD players. The reflectivity of the reflecting layer is much lower than that of normal CDs and this forces the laser to increase significantly its power, reducing its typical lifetime.

Pardon? :confused:really--and where may we find the link to this piece of wisdom please-- very interested to read fully

Baited breath:p

BruceD

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Yes Ron--this model is the latest Series lll CEC TLOX-- I owned the Black early version--same as David--maybe they have listened to the CD-R murmurings and this model delivers fine

There is of course the Esoteric Drives slated as SOTA also in the mix to audition together with the JMF from France--

http://jmf-audio.com/dmt37_en.htm

Ahem-- PS Audio Drive?--sorry not on my watch:eek:

BruceD

I just ordered the Aqua La Diva CD transport to work with the Aqua Formula dac. should have it in 2-3 weeks.....I think.

at $8k list price this transport gives me the occasional CD transport that allows easy access to all the music coming out, but does not break the bank.....it's the right tool to fit my need. it is said to be very fine sounding. if it's as killer as the dac, we should not assume it cannot compete at a pretty high level. if it was a $30k+ transport I could not have rationalized getting it.

the only 'gotcha' is that i'll need another table or rack for it, and likely I'd end up with another Herzan for it if I love it. I do have a mag-lev platform I can use initially.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Thank you for responding. Are you sure the Pandora was not merely basting the music in the delicious caramel coating of tube sound?

Which DAC did you perceive to present the music with greater transparency and resolution?

Hi Ron,

I have listened to the Aesthetix Pandora many times at my local dealer with Jannus preamp, Atlas Signature Monoblocks and Vandersteen Model 7 Speakers. This DAC produces an analog-like midrange with body, bloom and air. There is minimal tube artifice. Treble is natural and non-fatiguing but not rolled off and bass has wonderful texture. Soundstage is as wide and deep as the recording.

There are two editions:

1) Pandora Signature - MSRP $9,000

True Native DSD
Romulus and Pandora Signature offer true native DSD 1x and 2x functionality over USB and 1x DSD over SPDIF (AES/EBU, RCA Coax and TosLink). The entire DSP processing section is replaced (pictured above, click to enlarge). The new section includes an advanced Xilinx gate-array which allows the DSP to be completely bypassed for pure DSD 1x and 2x operation. No alteration of DSD data occurs. Many DACs in the market that claim to play DSD actually convert the data to PCM and thereby completely lose the purpose of DSD operation.

Vishay Z-Foil Resistors
In addition to the DSP processing section, an entirely new analog board is installed (pictured above, click to enlarge). This new analog board also allows DSD data to pass directly to the DAC, a Burr-Brown PCM1792A running in pure differential mode. Extremely low noise, high linearity Vishay Z-foil audio resistors are utilized in the critical current-to-voltage conversion stage (pictured above, click to enlarge).

Dynamicaps
As in all Saturn Signature products, critical coupling capacitors are replaced with Dynamicaps from Peter Moncrief. Four are installed between the vacuum-tube gain stage and output stage, all in full differential mode. These provide increased resolution, less grain, greater high frequency extension and naturalness, all while maintaining the basic strengths of Romulus' tonal balance. The eight 2uF output capacitors are replaced with 4uF Dynamicaps which provide greater resolution in addition to improved bass definition, drive and dynamics. (pictured above, click to enlarge).

HRS Couplers
The four standard rubber feet are replaced with Harmonic Resolutions Systems' Nimbus Couplers specially made for Aesthetix. This change lowers the noise floor and adds more air and space.

2) Pandora Eclipse (New) - MSRP $12,000

First phase: Internal changes start with .22uF / 600v Stealth coupling capacitors used between the gain stage and output stage. Four total of these exotic capacitors are used.

There are four 2uF / 400v coupling capacitors used in each channel of the output stage. In the Eclipse version, these are replaced with Stealth copper foil 4uF/400v, improving low frequency response.

Third phase: The main transformer is re-installed on isolation mounts. Harmonic Resolutions Systems' Nimbus Couplers specially made for Aesthetix replace the four rubber feet of standard units (as also found on our Signature version). The new power supply is installed with enhanced ventilation. Additional damping material is added to key chassis points.

Fourth phase: A single point ground system is used to ground the transformer cases as they are no longer electrically grounded to the chassis via physical contact due to their isolation mounts.

All the best,
Ken

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I just ordered the Aqua La Diva CD transport to work with the Aqua Formula dac. should have it in 2-3 weeks.....I think.

at $8k list price this transport gives me the occasional CD transport that allows easy access to all the music coming out, but does not break the bank.....it's the right tool to fit my need. it is said to be very fine sounding. if it's as killer as the dac, we should not assume it cannot compete at a pretty high level. if it was a $30k+ transport I could not have rationalized getting it.

the only 'gotcha' is that i'll need another table or rack for it, and likely I'd end up with another Herzan for it if I love it. I do have a mag-lev platform I can use initially.

Ah Good news--Ron is indeed blessed with such close to the site experiences as you are undertaking- much relevance to digest!

The Drive looks good --basic design not too "blingy"-Phillips I see--plenty of backup?-- trust so:p

Look forward to the in house results--Digital interconnect?--what do you intend to use--critical choice there-are the Aquas using/recommending proprietary connection of some type?

Keep up the great Posts :D!

BruceD

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Which CEC model is that?

Hi Ron,

The Burmester 089 and 069 have the belt drive mechanism, amongst the best transports money can buy. Both are amazing CDPs. But a little over the top, imv, to use these only as transport as, to the best of my knowledge, Burmester doesn't make standalone belt drive transports. Fwiw, I am currently using my Burmester 061 CDP, which btw is not a belt drive, as a transport only feeding my lampi big7 - excellent results, I must say!

Cheers

Sujay

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Ah Good news--Ron is indeed blessed with such close to the site experiences as you are undertaking- much relevance to digest!

The Drive looks good --basic design not too "blingy"-Phillips I see--plenty of backup?-- trust so:p

Look forward to the in house results--Digital interconnect?--what do you intend to use--critical choice there-are the Aquas using/recommending proprietary connection of some type?

Keep up the great Posts :D!

BruceD

thanks Bruce.

as I owned the Playback Designs for 9 years, I have not had a separate transport in system since the Philips unit with my EMM Labs dac 12-13 years ago.

I have not really investigated my connection choices. here is what the website says.....not sure which is best at the moment.

• Jitter free digital interface AQlink (I2S protocol), uncompromising digital connection to La Scala DAC, La Voce DAC

• etherCON RJ45 (AQlink) output connection to DAC, employs CAT6 cable can connect both RJ45 and professional etherCON RJ45Digital Output

2 S/PDIF 75 ? :
- 1 coaxial BNC
- 1 coaxial RCA
1 AES/EBU (XLR) 110 ?
1 AQlink - I2S serial bus
(etherCON RJ45)
1 AT&T (ST Fiber

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmmm-- Quite a selection of choices-- My original comment was a sly dig at the possibility of maybe you trying one of these Masterbuilt versions in Digital Format

I haven't witnessed such praise waxed lyrical on Cables since the FIM "scenario" a few years back

Interested to see what you thought if you were able to procure and evaluate in your situ

Just musing:D

BruceD

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hmmm-- Quite a selection of choices-- My original comment was a sly dig at the possibility of maybe you trying one of these Masterbuilt versions in Digital Format

I haven't witnessed such praise waxed lyrical on Cables since the FIM "scenario" a few years back

Interested to see what you thought if you were able to procure and evaluate in your situ

Just musing:D

BruceD

ok, I understand. and if/when someone sends me Masterbuilt cables to try I'm happy to do that (and who knows what might happen). but they answer a question I'm not asking.

while I'm game for crazy spendy I.C.'s (Tara Grandmaster Evolution w/HFX---$31k) a $5k++++ USB or other digital cable is not on my radar......digital interfaces are too fickle......here today, gone tomorrow. and then you are stuck with a sunk cost unrecoverable. I.C.'s/spkr cables have long life-spans.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Last time I checked the Lampizator has more tubes in it than the Aesthetix. Why would anyone want a caramel coating to their sound. I think you are thinking of tube stuff from the 90's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing