Lampizator VINYL PHONO MC1 vs. NVO SPA II/2 Special Edition vs. DS Audio DS-W2

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Paul
Sorry, busy times atm.
On the Brinkmann Bardo with the Lyra Kleos SL we compared the very good NVO to the Lampi MC1 phono pre directly and we both prefered the Lampi Phono by a big margin because it sounds so much more transparent and natural and alive and organic and it filled the room with 3d images layered from in front of the speakers pane waaaaayy back behind the speakers and in fact even way behind the back wall :eek:
We then compared the Bardo-Kleos-Lampi combo to M's current favorite DS Audio W2 system mounted on his new majestic Sikora Standard black Max turntable.
The DS W2 Sikora combo sounded VERY mighty and robust with a very strong and firm foundation. M said that this was what he missed on the Bardo with the same Das W2 system mounted. To me the DS W2 sounded very quiet regarding groove noises but if found it also like a little "processed". I even joked that it sounds like a very good CD-Player :p
We then changed to the Bardo-Kleos-Lampi combo and for me it was immediately obvious that this presentation was the more natural one. After the first shock, we changed back and forth but we could only conclude that the "cheaper" combo sounded more analog and alive and palpable than the big rig with the DS W2.
We decided that there is only one way to find out what is contributing what when mounting the Kleos SL onto the Sikora KV12 arm on the Sikora Standard black Max. I have my educated guess what the outcome of that could be but I will only find out Wednesday evening.

I will then share my impressions...

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I'm not sure which DS Audio cartridge Zellaton were using last Munich but I was perplexed by it.

It is very low noise and it does sound like a digital source. A solid state digital source. And a good one at that.

Interesting experience. I went in there quite a few times.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Paul
Sorry, busy times atm.
On the Brinkmann Bardo with the Lyra Kleos SL we compared the very good NVO to the Lampi MC1 phono pre directly and we both prefered the Lampi Phono by a big margin because it sounds so much more transparent and natural and alive and organic and it filled the room with 3d images layered from in front of the speakers pane waaaaayy back behind the speakers and in fact even way behind the back wall :eek:
We then compared the Bardo-Kleos-Lampi combo to M's current favorite DS Audio W2 system mounted on his new majestic Sikora Standard black Max turntable.
The DS W2 Sikora combo sounded VERY mighty and robust with a very strong and firm foundation. M said that this was what he missed on the Bardo with the same Das W2 system mounted. To me the DS W2 sounded very quiet regarding groove noises but if found it also like a little "processed". I even joked that it sounds like a very good CD-Player :p
We then changed to the Bardo-Kleos-Lampi combo and for me it was immediately obvious that this presentation was the more natural one. After the first shock, we changed back and forth but we could only conclude that the "cheaper" combo sounded more analog and alive and palpable than the big rig with the DS W2.
We decided that there is only one way to find out what is contributing what when mounting the Kleos SL onto the Sikora KV12 arm on the Sikora Standard black Max. I have my educated guess what the outcome of that could be but I will only find out Wednesday evening.

I will then share my impressions...

Hi Christoph,
No problem! , thank you for the detailed report! Yes, you should try Lyra/Sikora/Lampizator, as good as the Bardo really is, the Sikora is on a higher plane in all regards, the outcome could be wonderful!
Keep me posted, when you have time :)

ATB,
Paul

Reactions: MJG and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I'm not sure which DS Audio cartridge Zellaton were using last Munich but I was perplexed by it.

It is very low noise and it does sound like a digital source. A solid state digital source. And a good one at that.

Interesting experience. I went in there quite a few times.

What color was the light in the pickup?
W2 (second to the top) is red. Master (top model) is purple.
The DS has it's merits. Until you compare it to an excellent "ordinary" analog phono :eek:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Christoph,
No problem! , thank you for the detailed report! Yes, you should try Lyra/Sikora/Lampizator, as good as the Bardo really is, the Sikora is on a higher plane in all regards, the outcome could be wonderful!
Keep me posted, when you have time :)

ATB,
Paul
That is what I expect, honestly :D

Reactions: MJG

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: MJG

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What color was the light in the pickup?
W2 (second to the top) is red. Master (top model) is purple.
The DS has it's merits. Until you compare it to an excellent "ordinary" analog phono :eek:

Purple Master 1 on a Reed Muse 1C TT. I'd post the picture but it is a hassle to do at work.

It was the only room where I got interested in analogue TBH. Just because it sounded so different to conventional analogue.

I've heard DS Audio carts before but this is the first time I have been quite seriously impressed.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Looking forward to try out the Lampizator Phono stage at home soon.
I have just ordered a MC version and a MM Version.
As they are built to customer order, it will take some days,
that I can hopefully start to enjoy them :)

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Awesome. Keep us updated, the Lampi is at the top of my dedicated phono list.

jsn

VIP/Donor
Jan 8, 2014
FYI. It is about Lampizator phono :
The future models will have XLR output, but that will come no sooner than summer 2020.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
cool,
I was waiting for this info, as all products from Lukas do exist as Single ended and full balanced.
I hope, that the Design will be full balanced as well, not just adding semi xlr output connectors.

But I am still looking forward to receive the MC1 and MM1 single ended versions.
As with my experience with Golden Gate DAC, the single ended versions are more easy to customize with tube rolling,
full balanced do double the costs on tubes and mostly is more limited in chice of tubes due to the fully balanced Design requirements .

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Based on what i just heard, the DHT version still has much development to go, so I expect not before 6 months at the earliest and if feasible, based on his high performance bar that he demands.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing