Lampizator Vinyl Phono stage arrived

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
[QUOTE="XV-1, post: 625939, member: 118"

However, reference phono stages with only one input to me seems inadequate to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Reference phonostages have alsways only one Input. It is not easy to switch such small signals

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Tube compliment: 2 x 6N2P-B, 2Xecc803-s-g, 1xEL34, 1X6X5, 1 x Nixie
This is mentioned on the Lampizator homepage,
but my personal data sheet is saying for MM1 and MC1: ECC83 + 6N2P + 6C5S + EL 34
supported is much more.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
That is nearly the same.
Only 6C5S (rectifier in PS) is not mentioned on the homepage.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
That is nearly the same.
Only 6C5S (Error ampliflier in PS) is not mentioned on the homepage.

6X5 and 6C5S (rectifier) can be exchanged, both are supported.

Joao@altheamusica

Sep 20, 2010
What has the rectifier tube to do for switching an input signal in MC / MM Phonostages?
Technical explanation please!!!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
This is his first attempt at a phono. For reference, it will be DHT, which will improve over time, and I bet will have a lot of flexibility from valve choice to input choice

Ked. Are you offering your phono consulting services to him? :p

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Hi, I am currently auditioning the MC1 in my system. It is a beautiful looking machine and sounds just as good. I hooked it up Friday night and after about an hour my wife came up from the living room and said the music sounds richer, can really feel it, even from downstairs. She proceeded to sit with me and listen to PJ Harvey, Stereolab, Phronesis (jazz), and Lizzy Mercier Descloux. While listening to Havery's To Bring You My Love we heard details not evident before. The sound is full and details exposed. If you haven't heard it in your system, I highly recommend it. IMG_5172.JPG IMG_5175.JPG IMG_5173.JPG

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
looks nice in silver / copper :)

Reactions: findog

djsina2

May 30, 2019
While listening to Havery's To Bring You My Love we heard details not evident before. The sound is full and details exposed. If you haven't heard it in your system, I highly recommend it.

Outstanding album! Nice to see someone not listening to elevator music on this site.

Reactions: guf and findog

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are a few of us, Djsina2. Indeed, a good reason not to go to the Munich Show is all the music sourced from the hotel elevators.

Reactions: ALF and XV-1

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
I have some comments: 1. I never called this REFERENCE, I reserve it for a future model that is somewhere in the pipeline.
2. As concerning the tubes, I tested EVERY existing new tube and every combination of the two, and I selected the best I could, so better dont change unless you have really interesting 83 NOS, or in place of 6N2P - the ECC88.
3. There is a stripped down but still very good MM2 coming soon, with solid state PSU but still very good sound for much less money than MM1.
4. The DHT is kinda impossible to make due to microphonics, and nobody wants that. So don't hold your breath.
Thank you for the nice comments so far.
(I use AT-ART1000 and extremely happy with it, waiting for Sikora which will be my 4th TT in da house.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Lukasz. Art 1000 is very low output. Are you using the Art step up with it or something else

Last edited:

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
"or in place of 6N2P - the ECC88."

Hi Lukasz,

the 6N2P is more like a 12AX7, what will you do with ECC88?

Reinhard

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thanks Lukasz. Art 1000 is very low output. Are you using the Art step up with it or something else

ART 1000 has 0,2mv
As Lukasz is saying, this works fine with MC1.
I have ART7 too, which is a little too low in output (0,12mv)
to support the over-all gain of my set up, I prefer an external high gain step up and MM1 instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALF and bonzo75

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I'd be interested to know how other people's assessment of this phono stage may have changed over the last couple of months?

Thanks to Greg at Point Audio, the UK Lampizator distributor I've been lucky enough to be able to have an MC1 in my system for the last week and despite my strange collection of cartridges and indeed, in the context of WBF, unusual system I've been really impressed with it.

For the record my analogue system is: Garrard 401 with Stefano Bertoncello bronze platter, FR64fx tonearm, Emia silver and Entre SUT's and upgraded SJS Arcadia amplifiers (Model 1 Pre, Model 2 PSE 2A3 power amp and Simon's original, albeit modified, phono stage.) Speakers are Ocellia Calliope 30's. The cartridges used were a Fidelity Research MC-702, a totally rebuilt/modified Denon DL-103 (only the former and magnets remain), an Ortofon Kontrapunkt A, an Ortofon SPU Synergy and last but not least a Miyajima Zero B. I also have an Audio Note Io Ltd but didn't use that due to the ridiculously low output (0.05mV).

As a "demonstrator" the MC1 I have been using was configured for cartridges with "normal" output levels and sensible impedances. Whilst my cartridges don't particularly comply with that the MC1 did, in the main, work very well with them.

It was outstanding with both the MC-702 and the Synergy throwing an excellent soundstage with good dynamics. Bass was well controlled and no part of the tonal range was over emphasised. The ability to adjust loading "on the fly" with the front control was great and allowed subtle tailoring of the sound to suit individual tastes/systems.

The Miyajima Zero worked equally well though the Miyajima supplied mono/stereo adapters were necessary to prevent an earth hum. With the Zero the MC1 produced one of the best renditions of Louis' and Ella's voices I have heard when listening to Louis Armstrong Plays WC Handy.

The Kontrapunkt A similarly worked as well as I have heard it, I always find the bass on this cartridge to be somewhat "detached" from the rest of the spectrum and that was still the case here, the MC1 is very good but can't work magic!

Where the MC1 struggled was with the modified Denon DL-103 which has around 0.1mV output, perhaps slightly less. When I first started to play it I thought it was pretty good, however on comparison with my own phono stage and the Emia silver SUT the MC1 was lacking air and dynamics, however I am sure that this could be remedied if you were ordering the phono stage with cartridges of this level of output in mind. It was using this cartridge that made me decide not to try the Io Ltd.

Do I have any reservations, yes indeed I do. I would very much like two switchable phono inputs and also the ability to use MM/MI cartridges - I have both a Decca C4E and a Cartridge Man Music Maker III I like to use from time to time and at the moment I would have to copy Shakti's approach and have a second MM1 phono for these. However I do think that the MC1 does what it does really well and gives amazing flexibility for anyone who likes to try different MC cartridges without the need to match each one with a SUT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing