Lampizator

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
I have been quite puzzled, and others seem to be so as well, about the "engines". Mind you, this is speculation. I believe that I have figured it out, though I may be mistaken. Lampizator does use different "engines" for different DACs. As far as I am aware, this isn't really explained by them. Furthermore, why an R2R DAC even needs an engine isn't explained as far as I can tell.

So, where does this leave us? Well trying to think through the different possibilities logically I think that I may have figured it out.. The "engine" seems to me to serve 2 primary functions. It seems to be the reason for the DACs being able to automatically switch between different formats with out intervention from the operator. Beyond that, I believe that it is a digital filter which allows for signal manipulation. HQPlayer allows a similar manipulation. You feed the analog signal into it, and it can apply a host of filters, etc. So, they tweak the signal for each line of DACs they produce. The filter/engine for the Baltic is tuned for the Baltic's circuit, the Golden Gate II has a filter/engine tuned just for it, etc. So, beyond just the tubes, Lukasz has tweaked each DAC to get what he believes to be the most out of it.

I believe that this is the same technology that PS Audio uses which allows them to periodically "upgrade" their equipment after you purchase it.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
  • Haha
Reactions: Miki70 and bonzo75

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
Word engine is a funny name for what is normally referred to as DIGITAL PCB. It is a combination of signal receiver, dac chips, microcontroller with firmware, optoisolators, routing multiplexers, voltage regulators, rectifiers and filters. We have a golden rule of using the right engine for the given dac model and there is no such thing as a bad engine or better engine, just the correct one . We give to every dac model the best engine we can possibly give.
The code name is for service department only and carries no meaningful information to the end users. We do not discuss the engines with anyone except 3 people who make them.
We use no processing, no upsampling, no oversampling of any kind, we do not shape the sound in digital domain.

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
Word engine is a funny name for what is normally referred to as DIGITAL PCB. It is a combination of signal receiver, dac chips, microcontroller with firmware, optoisolators, routing multiplexers, voltage regulators, rectifiers and filters. We have a golden rule of using the right engine for the given dac model and there is no such thing as a bad engine or better engine, just the correct one . We give to every dac model the best engine we can possibly give.
The code name is for service department only and carries no meaningful information to the end users. We do not discuss the engines with anyone except 3 people who make them.
We use no processing, no upsampling, no oversampling of any kind, we do not shape the sound in digital domain.
Thanks, that answers a LOT of questions. The ones that, for me, remain include does this mean you use digital R2R conversion, or are physical resistors used? Does this have a capacitor that supresses a speaker pop when switching between modes/resolutions, restarting the chipset? I had suspected that the output cap was a Myflex, my favorite bang for the buck cap relabled, but I was told that it actually is a proprietary cap and to leave it, it is a fantastic capacitor. I suspect that I won't want to modify anything in this DAC. That's awesome! Thanks for responding. I still don't know exactly how you guys modify the engines, but proprietary information is proprietary for good reason. Thanks again for being forthcoming.

Reactions: Golum

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Thanks for the explanation Lukasz. Really helps my understanding of how you go about engineering your Dac’s. You are in the process of building a GA TRP for me, which I ordered from Fred at AXPONA. Looking forward to getting it into my system!

Reactions: L3RD and Golum

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
I wasn’t trying to be a dork. My thought is rather than guessing I’m hoping Lukasz could answer the question directly. I have no idea if this is proprietary.
Hi Steve,

Most of it is going to be off the shelf, optoisolators, rectifiers, various multiplexers, etc. It's mostly the software contained on/in the programmable chips which is proprietary. While there is proprietary circuitry, I doubt that they have any in the DAC. It's the software that's usually proprietary unless you are designing chips. I haven't done much board level work beyond part swapping and a tube amp I continuously procrastinate completing, in several decades. Unfortunately, anything in chip memory can be downloaded and copied, if you are setup for it. Though, like Yamaha when they decided to make Stasis receivers, you can be found found liable for stealing intellectual property if you do. Nelson Pass only agreed to license them to manufacture amplifiers using his Stasis technology. Hopefully if I am mistaken, I'll be corrected.

Last edited:

kilervideo

Apr 17, 2023
Hi Guys. PCB: Engine 11 the lattest , Engine 512 before, Engine 5942 etc. Could anyone tell me what engine was in Golden Gate Mk 2? And it is engine 512 better than 5942? Some of those even mark us 5942+512.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
GG2 had E53 like majority of DACs from that period except Pacific which had E57. Never heard for E512 even less so for 5942+512. 5942 if I'm not mistaken is a generation before E53.
Each iteration I believe sounded better then previous one but of course you will hear also other opinions.

kilervideo

Apr 17, 2023
Thank You Golum. Yes You right engine 53, Someone that sell GG1 send me a picture with PCB: 5942+512 , I think that the one with 2 engines.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Now if i think, i would rather say E5942 with DSD512 capability

kilervideo

Apr 17, 2023
Golum I need help. Someone selling as GG 2 but on the Lampizator Product Card it is Dac board type R2R. That can not be GG2?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Well yes - its possible as my own ex GG2 was R2R but i specifically asked Lukasz to make it like that.
But note that those were the times when you could order this or that spec in sense of caps you wanted to choose as well as dig board. Later specs were unified without this custom options.
BTW my GG2 was a monster DAC which i totally loved.

kilervideo

Apr 17, 2023
So it is OK R2R? However on Lampizator Product Card it is mark as Golden Gate SE VC, warranty until 30/04/2025.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Yeah all good.
Look, anyhow i would use the standard Lampi service which they provide for free. Seller sends the unit to the factory for check up and after this one with fresh tech sheet you get the unit. No fuss and no stress and you can be certain all is tip top.

Reactions: Blake and msimanyi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing