Lamps For Turntables

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
This may be a dumb question but what lamps do people use to light their tt? The one that in the Yarlung thread looks interesting.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Not an entirely practical suggestion, but I like 'found' objects. I've been using an antique brass surgeon's lamp from an old ship; it has a strange green cast (some kind of primitive filter) which unlike super bright modern lights, enables you to see much on the surface of the record. There are obviously more practical alternatives, but I had this rewired, and cleaned up, and it looks pretty great:http://[URL=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Whart1/media/imagejpg1_zps0658b5b9.jpg.html] [/URL]

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, I just received one of these from Amazon. Thanks!

Any specific use for the red light dial position? or you just use it at the white light position?

I use the white when I want to see something, red for the mood effect while listening.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have three i-Tower LED floor lamps. used them for 6 years.

it is the perfect tt lamp.

solid base, very lightweight and flexible on top. so never a concern that the lamp could fall on the arm/platter. uses 5-10 watts, last 30,000 hours.

comes in black, grey or silver. choose 'warm' or 'white' light. has a 2 button dim/brighten switch.

tiny profile so looks great and works in any décor.

if you have a thick carpet then get a barbell weight to solidify the base (how I use mine)

could not recommend more highly.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I use a Littlelight LW-18 LED on the turntable and one for my gear closet as well. There are dual LEDs in the gooseneck head; one is red, the other is white. The gain knob automatically switches between them, being complete red at minimum level, and completely white at high level with a blend in between. Since I prefer low luminance, red is the frequency of choice because it does not bleach your photoreceptors, thus you can preserve your dark adapted state. This is useful for theater, studio, cockpit lighting and perfect for an audiophile man-cave. The cheapest I've found one is here: www.performanceaudio.com

Mike, I liked yours so much, I am considering getting one for my listening seat. Although I also have the Lutron remote system for the room, sometimes, even the minimal array I select is too much. I think your light will be a great addition for when I'm in maximal mole mode.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I have the Littlite high intensity halogen version. If I had it to do over, I would have picked one of the LED types because the halogen lamps do not last very long, and they aren't particularly cheap. My suggestion is to avoid that model, and go with the LED at the outset. The halogen provides very pleasing light, though.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I have three i-Tower LED floor lamps. used them for 6 years.

it is the perfect tt lamp.

solid base, very lightweight and flexible on top. so never a concern that the lamp could fall on the arm/platter. uses 5-10 watts, last 30,000 hours.

comes in black, grey or silver. choose 'warm' or 'white' light. has a 2 button dim/brighten switch.

tiny profile so looks great and works in any décor.

if you have a thick carpet then get a barbell weight to solidify the base (how I use mine)

could not recommend more highly.

Hi Mike,

Ditto on the Koncept Lamps / i-towers, 1 one for the TT (red), 2 for the tape decks, (black floor standers ), & one for the chair.
Best lamps I have come across. koncept lamp.JPG

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Those lamps just aren't tall enough for some of my racks with the TT's on top. I need a lamp to clip on the top shelf, hence my choice. I like the looks of those lights...wish I could use them.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Those lamps just aren't tall enough for some of my racks with the TT's on top. I need a lamp to clip on the top shelf, hence my choice. I like the looks of those lights...wish I could use them.

hard to imagine your tt is taller off the floor than mine, but I know you are a pretty tall guy so suppose that is possible. the I Towers are quite tall. and btw; if you wanted to shorten your Adona rack that is quite easy to do; just take it apart and have a machine shop cut down the legs, which I did. make sure they re-assemble the legs and align them as that part is a pain. but cutting them is easy with the right tools. lowering it allowed me to have it at the perfect working height with my Herzan.

for awhile I had my I-tower lamp on a large, thick, heavy maple cutting board to raise the level, although now it's on the floor.

personally I hate anything near the arm and like the fact that the I-Tower floor lamp is completely independent from the rack and plinth so I can get all the way around the tt for set-up for both arms. and it cannot fall off or get knocked off and cause havoc. yet I get great light exactly where I want it with a very wide range of motion. I can even bend it back on itself and get the lamp down near the floor for seeing the back of my dart preamp with bright light without holding a flashlight.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
hard to imagine your tt is taller off the floor than mine, but I know you are a pretty tall guy so suppose that is possible. the I Towers are quite tall. and btw; if you wanted to shorten your Adona rack that is quite easy to do; just take it apart and have a machine shop cut down the legs, which I did. make sure they re-assemble the legs and align them as that part is a pain. but cutting them is easy with the right tools. lowering it allowed me to have it at the perfect working height with my Herzan.

for awhile I had my I-tower lamp on a large, thick, heavy maple cutting board to raise the level, although now it's on the floor.

personally I hate anything near the arm and like the fact that the I-Tower floor lamp is completely independent from the rack and plinth so I can get all the way around the tt for set-up for both arms. and it cannot fall off or get knocked off and cause havoc.

I suppose I could prop up the base on some sort of box behind the rack. Is the illumination intensity adjustable ? ...dimming

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I suppose I could prop up the base on some sort of box behind the rack. Is the illumination intensity adjustable ? ...dimming

I use the same light. It's behind my HRS rack on top of 3 of the Nordost Odin wooden boxes. And I know you have some of those.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing