Laser alignment

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thought this might be interesting
RenderedContent-3E057CD7-F6DD-4CA0-9A3C-113E611F2692.JPG RenderedContent-4878DF5E-2C2E-40B9-ACC4-EE38A1BDABED.JPG RenderedContent-4669168A-6502-4B9F-9198-FA17E75BEDB8.JPG RenderedContent-20A5895B-F0CD-438F-A5FD-EA784EB4ECEC.JPG

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I am always amazed how much alignement improves the sound

theophile

In the photos, the laser looks out of alignment.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished with the laser.

the laser tracks the radius of the tool
so can judge alignment of headshell with laser light on it, rather than by eye which is subject to parallax error

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
the laser tracks the radius of the tool
so can judge alignment of headshell with laser light on it, rather than by eye which is subject to parallax error

Thank you for that clarification, awsmone. I see what you describe in the bottom photo. Looking at that photo, to me, it appears as though the red laser line is slightly thicker on the left front edge of the cartridge than it is on the right front edge. In other words, the cartridge looks like it needs to be rotated clockwise around the zenith angle for proper alignment. I assume you want the left edge of the red laser beam to run along the center line mark on the protractor because it looks like the two lines do not overlap but rather touch along their edges.

I think more important than lining up the front edge of the cartridge to the laser is to look below the cartridge body to see if the cantilever is properly aligned and parallel to the lines on the protractor. Cantilevers are not always perfectly aligned inside the cartridge body, so it better to go by the cantilever angle/edge than the front or side edge of the cartridge body. Then one should confirm by listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing