Laser measurement for speaker positioning

Mr P

Apr 17, 2015
Fort Myers, Florida
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been thinking about researching these, but haven’t gotten around to doing it. My order is in with Amazon.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks Don for your thread. I own Magico S5 Mk2's which have a curved top plate, hence it is very difficult to place a laser measuring tool on the centre top of the cabinet as you described. How could this tool help to a/ measure the distance from each speaker to listening position and b/ pinpoint the direction of the tweeters laterally and verticaly at the listening position?

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Thanks Don for your thread. I own Magico S5 Mk2's which have a curved top plate, hence it is very difficult to place a laser measuring tool on the centre top of the cabinet as you described. How could this tool help to a/ measure the distance from each speaker to listening position and b/ pinpoint the direction of the tweeters laterally and verticaly at the listening position?

I measure from the listening spot to the speaker. The laser is at the listening spot.

For verticle alignment measure two spots on the speaker. One at the top, and one near the bottom. Keep the laser in a fixed position.

The laser device can measure angles with a trigonometry calculation. You could also lay a bubble level on the front of the speaker.

You still have to listen to find the sonic optimal toe-in, distance to listening spot, and vertical speaker angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodhi

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Bought laser from Lowes per book advice of Jim Smith. Beats wife and I with string stretching - she's really not in to that ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For those on a budget. You may find a laser at Dollar General General store for, you guessed it, a dollar. You also get a flashlight,stylus for mobile device,and an ink pen. You're welcome.
Edit:

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Oops! That's Dollar Tree,Not Dollar General.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Whatever happened to using a simple tape measure?? You can get it to a 1/16?? Or better yet a simple piece of sting marked for the distance??

Rob :)

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
Been using one for few years now, works great for the purpose. Speakers with flat side walls can be toed in (or out) by placing the laser device on the side of the cabinet and aim to listening spot. This way can get both distance and angle exact.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I used both laser and leveler when I had MLs and verity. Unfortunately my flooring had a slight up on one speaker. Nothing I could do till I later changed the floor

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I'm thinking of buying a new Hilti PM 30-MG MULTI-LINE LASER to assist in speaker setup. Anyone have experience with this unit or similar ones from Bosch or Dewalt?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
That one is a really nice one and I wish I had just bought it to begin with. I have a dewalt and a bosch that have two lines (horizontal and vertical). Good enough to make sure the speakers are the same height and to mark the center line of the room.

I say go for the hilti and get the right tool once.

Reactions: musicfirst1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing