Let's Do the First Analog Poll Tonight

How many records do you currently have in your LP collection?

• None

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 1-500

Votes: 39 21.2%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • 1000-2000

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • 2000-5000

Votes: 46 25.0%
  • 5000-10,000

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I sleep on the front lawn

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
deleted

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
One

Mike Lavigne gave it to me 5-6 years ago when he visited me. It is a 45 by Louis Armstrong that I have heard once in my house. Now if Mike would sell me one of his TT's I might reconsider

you can lead a horse to water.........but.....

i do hope Steve finds some other Lps to keep his lonely 'Louis' Lp company.

i had approx 10,000 Lps. then a month ago i purchased a collection of approx 2000 'mostly classical' Lps which i am currently enjoying. the collection cost me $800, about 40 cents each. they are really pristene other than needing cleaning.

note; when you compute how cheap Lps can typically be purchased at, it would be easy to rationalize even a pretty good tt/arm/cart/phono stage. while i'm not really wanting to part with any of my tt's, there are some really great tt's that can be had for 'Playback Designs' type dollars. then you find a collection to jump start your vinyl, and you are in business.

so far i've cleaned and listened to from 150-200 of them. i have a new RCM which allows me to clean one Lp while i'm listening to another. i love listening to new music....it's been a musical journey.

so i'm around 12,000 Lps at this point......and always acquiring more. you cannot have too many Lps. the barn has plenty of room.

****we need another catagory beyond 10k.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
i purchased a collection of approx 2000 'mostly classical' Lps which i am currently enjoying. the collection cost me $800, about 40 cents each. they are really pristene other than needing cleaning.

Ah. Sometimes I just hate you Mr. Lavigne. Hahahahaha. What a score! Come on man, more than double your money? I'll take 'em for a buck a piece.

Hey, can't blame a guy for trying right? :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Ah. Sometimes I just hate you Mr. Lavigne. Hahahahaha. What a score! Come on man, more than double your money? I'll take 'em for a buck a piece.

Hey, can't blame a guy for trying right? :)

the shipping would kill ya!

the gentleman who had put together this collection over a number of years was the father-in-law of one of my long term (over 20 years) managers; i had met him a few times over the years. my manager and the daughter had divorced but when the guy passed away last summer they did let me know they were considering selling it. i knew how much the father had loved those Lps. i almost bought it last fall but they decieded to keep it. then recently they realized just how big a job it was keeping those Lps from harm and i was able to close the deal.....they knew i would actually love and play them and honor the father's viewpoint of the music. i do feel a connection to this music and as i hear just how great the performances are and how thoughtful and careful the selections are i am feeling very fortunate to be enjoying these. the jackets tell their own stories. this is what this hobby is all about.

my ending up with these Lps was fate.

now tell me.......what are the odds someone could connect with a bunch of digital files like that?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's easy. Zero. No chance at all. That is also the same probability as you selling it to me for a buck a piece. I see a pattern here. Maybe I should send this link out to a UFO site. I'm certain they can spin some conspiracy out of all this. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How many LPs are in your guarded, steel enclosed record vault?

I haven't actually built a steel record vault but that's a good idea.:D And when I do, I'd probably have one built that can store around 50.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't actually built a steel record vault but that's a good idea.:D And when I do, I'd probably have one built that can store around 50.

Welcome aboard!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey guys meet Phillip aka Jadis. He's a long time buddy. He is my best resource and source for rare and minty original pressings as well as tubes. I call him Indiana J for the way he tracks down rare european pressings of my favorite classical music. He's been doing it since before the net. Sorry bro, that might reveal your age. Don't worry you don't look a day over 35 :) Oh he is also my source for all things Koetsu.

Glad you could make it Phil! Welcome aboard!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Lost my record collections twice due to act of natures. One was in NYC, flash flood, LPs were in the basement, I lost about 2,000 LP and the other time an even I tend not to name, about the same number of LPs and CDs.. A good portion of the CDs were on a HDD (1 TB) with which I move around .. So no more TT or LP unless, I find a too good to ignore deal .. like finding a Goldmund Reference at a Garage Sale for $1000...

Frantz

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey guys meet Phillip aka Jadis. He's a long time buddy. He is my best resource and source for rare and minty original pressings as well as tubes. I call him Indiana J for the way he tracks down rare european pressings of my favorite classical music. He's been doing it since before the net. Sorry bro, that might reveal your age. Don't worry you don't look a day over 35 :) Oh he is also my source for all things Koetsu.

Glad you could make it Phil! Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the kind intro, Jack my good buddy, and specially for the 'age 35 look'. haha. I hope to learn more things in our hobby in this forum and would be very glad to share my audio experiences here. This looks like a great friendly forum. Am enjoying myself already!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have about 4500 odd - all in my listening room.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have way too many, I mean do I really pay them all? Naw! It all comes down to about 100 records or so (I'm guessing)...the rest are collecting dust. Can you say you play them all?

John

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hi Rich,

Thanks very much. Congrats on being a moderator on the forum. How goes the e-magazine? I have to go back to your site and check for updates.

Rich

Very well, thanks! Issue 1 is almost "in the can"; I'm expecting to publish it on June 4th! As for updates: I have a record review from John that I'll be posting soon (later this afternoon).

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I have way too many, I mean do I really pay them all? Naw! It all comes down to about 100 records or so (I'm guessing)...the rest are collecting dust. Can you say you play them all?

John

I also have a group of select "faves", but it's sure nice having the option of playing the others!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I have ~4,000 LPs that I've gathered for the last 37 years. Still, I go record shopping weekly almost always for new releases. I rarely buy used, and the "joys" of thrift store shopping completely elude my scope of acceptance. Maybe if I were still 13. I play almost everything at one time or another. I say almost, because I have a number of titles (maybe 30-40) purchased for reasons other than the music. Probably 70% of what I spin are new releases with the rest pulled from the stacks. I work from home and play music all day long.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing