Let's Do the First Analog Poll Tonight

How many records do you currently have in your LP collection?

• None

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 1-500

Votes: 39 21.2%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • 1000-2000

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • 2000-5000

Votes: 46 25.0%
  • 5000-10,000

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I sleep on the front lawn

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

Amado

I have aprox 4k

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 341

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have way too many, I mean do I really pay them all? Naw! It all comes down to about 100 records or so (I'm guessing)...the rest are collecting dust. Can you say you play them all?

John

I'm happy to report that many of my LP's are no longer collecting dust. LOL! I've been on a musical listening frenzy of late and pulling out some stuff that I bought way back in the early seventies. I'm so glad I always took care of my LP's and can thereby still enjoy them.

For clarification...I have approximately 3,000 LP's.

stargate

Apr 27, 2011
yardley, pa.
I accumulated about 5000 over 35 years and I must of clean them all twice or three times.. went through 3 record cleaning machine -thank goodness for the audio desk.

theophile

I've got probably more than 3,000. I really don't know how many there are.

I'll admit that I have some that I've never listened to( about 50 or so). They are put-aside and I know which ones they are, and they will eventually get listened to. What I will say is that I have improved the sound of my system greatly. So, what I am doing is re-listening to the ones I already know. Getting to know them again so to speak. Getting to know some of them in ways that I've never known them before.

I've always been of the opinion that the system is only as good as the software, and obviously a turd of a performance recorded in a turd of a manner sounds like a turd on the best system possible. What I now find is that one hand washes the other; Great software needs a great system to surrender its all. A great system needs great software to surrender its all.

Not all software is great, but that's just the way it is. Enjoy the music. It is nice to have a great sounding system no matter what the software is like. I'd always prefer to have the possibility that I'm getting the most out of my software due to the fact that the system can produce if need be, as opposed to having the best software but never being able to hear that software at anything like its best because the system hasn't got a hope of doing it justice.

Because via the system and set-up that I'm using now I've got a much better means of conclusively determining which are the better pressings, I am actually going to start weeding-out the lesser sounding pressings and sell them. In every instance that I've bought different pressings of the same title, it has been in the hope that I will find a better pressing. Now is the time to do the head to head comparisons and thin out the herd.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jahnghalt

Sep 7, 2014
I knew how much the father had loved those Lps... I hear just how great the performances are and how thoughtful and careful the selections are... The jackets tell their own stories. this is what this hobby is all about.

now tell me.......what are the odds someone could connect with a bunch of digital files like that?

A question: what sorts of stories do the jackets tell? Do you refer to liner notes? The condition of the jackets? Annotations? (the latter I have found when picking up radio station LP's at flea markets, etc.).

I actually have access to a collection of files that started with 3,000 classical CD's in the early "aughts" (2000's). The collector converted most to mp3 (I presume 128kbps) and kept going. Don't know what the "odds" are. I've begun playing some MP3's (from a ca. 16,000-hour multi-genre collection) so have confirmed for myself they are not "reference quality". The access is the thing however - pretty nice.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I have about 3-4K in storage. Haven't picked up a new one since the mid to late 80's. Quite a mix between late sixties, seventies rock, folk, English folk(rock) later jazz and classical. On the covers I do have the original Blind Faith lp I picked up at the PX in Roda, Spain before they banned it and of course the original Stones Satanic Majesties Req lp, if that means anything.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have about 3-4K in storage. Haven't picked up a new one since the mid to late 80's. Quite a mix between late sixties, seventies rock, folk, English folk(rock) later jazz and classical. On the covers I do have the original Blind Faith lp I picked up at the PX in Roda, Spain before they banned it and of course the original Stones Satanic Majesties Req lp, if that means anything.

what good are they in storage if you are not listening to them ?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
what good are they in storage if you are not listening to them ?
I had half of mine in storage for over 10 years. It wasn't by choice, but stuff happens and you deal with it. They have all been released from their prison now and have found a home.

Audio Dungeon 8.jpg

jahnghalt

Sep 7, 2014
@ Lavigne ca. 2010 - 2000 LP's is a mere 30(ft^3) (cubic feet) - a row 30-ft long. Pack them in "one-fives" (mover lingo for 12"x12"x18" boxes), and they fit in a pickup truck bed - only need stack a few. The one-fives prevent warps.

jahnghalt

Sep 7, 2014
Lavigne said (04-27-2010): "what are the odds someone could connect with a bunch of digital files like that?"

(you asked, even if rhetorically)

Well, I know a guy..... He started around 2001-02 with a friends 3000 CD Classical Collection - after much testing decided MP3 was acceptable at 192k (yeah, yeah, I know) - and started in. He's was smart - used accessible databases to catalog, and had an early DSL connection. Some time ago he was up to 500GB.

Short answer - it depends on who you know.

PROMITHEAS

Jun 15, 2016
Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'am so glad when see people who have passion with the music, we are living in our world which is much better than that we live one word it's pure.I have appx.2000 LP's legacy from my father and i will continue the work of my father.

JIMJFOX

Jul 18, 2016
Well done. 'Blind Faith' album cover- what were they thinking? To define themselves as pedophiles??

theophile

People: Born Naked. What was GOD thinking?

JIMJFOX

Jul 18, 2016
Wow- you live on the Sunshine Coast- I had an apartment south of the Gold Coast until last year.
Many happy years there, what a perfect climate! What beaches. What great surf clubs with cheap
beer & excellent meals. I miss it but retirement meant I was priced out of Australia.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing