LG G1 Versus Sony A90J Video Monitors

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have narrowed our video panel decision down to two models: the LG G1 and the Sony A90J.

We will be getting a 65 inch screen and a 55 inch screen.

Has anyone compared these two screens side-by-side for picture quality?

What do our video experts here think about the pros and cons of these two screens?

Thank you!

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I have narrowed our video panel decision down to two models: the LG G1 and the Sony A90J.

We will be getting a 65 inch screen and a 55 inch screen.

Has anyone compared these two screens side-by-side for picture quality?

What do our video experts here think about the pros and cons of these two screens?

Thank you!

Ron,

Those are two flagships models from both respective brands.

It is my understanding that they both use a "higher end" OLED panel that is brighter than less expensive OLED models from Sony and LG.

Furthermore, Sony's advantage lies in their X1 video upscaling processor over LG.

LG's G series seem to be aesthetically driven (stand option) over the Sony.

Seems like splitting hairs but, I defer to the experts here.

VE's TV Shootout® Evaluation - Value Electronics

On a side note, they are a dealer for both LG and Sony.

But, declared 2021's winner the Sony A90J.

Good luck.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Ron

I work for a retail brick and mortar store in the Chicago area, the name of the store is Abt Electronics (www.abt.com). We sell both of the sets you’re asking about. We ship around the country all the time. The picture quality is excellent on both. The LG has a brighter more detailed picture but the Sony looks more natural. Sony never exaggerates the brightness, a lot of the other tv manufacturers do. In my opinion, the picture quality on the Sony is the best. The Sony is the most natural picture you can get. The colors are more accurate and has the most realistic flesh tones. The black level on the Sony is also the closest you can get to the older better plasma sets.

Abt is a family owned and operated retail store that’s been in business since 1936. We are the #1 rated store in the country, for the last 11 years in a row in a major national magazine. Pm me, you’ll be happy you did. Take care.

Best regards
Scot Hurwitz

Reactions: ddk and christoph

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Sony pretty much owns the PQ department right now.
That being said if you intend on hanging them on a wall make sure you check the back of the Sony as they tend to have weird shapes on the backs and in some cases you have to use the mounting bracket from Sony and they leave a lot to be desired ease of installation wise and quality wise.

My opinion both of the screens are to small, go 75, you wont regret it.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I got burn in from 90 minutes of CNBC a day - no more Oled for me. Had a Kuro for 10 years without issue. Will be getting Sony 4K next.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks very much to each of you gentlemen!

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
Sony seems to win all the reviews. I bought the Sony -- 65 -- when we moved house a couple of months ago. It was pretty much the same price everywhere so I got it from the local Best Buy, with free delivery.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, again, to each of you for your input.

I've decided to go with Sony A90Js.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Ron

Before you buy your tv (if it’s not too late) you should pm me. Thanks.

Best regards
Scot Hurwitz

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Is there a huge difference between the A90J and A80J?

The 77" A80J is a perfect size for me.....

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi kingsrule

The short answer is no, it's not a huge difference between the A80J Sony's and the A90J's. The A90J will be somewhat brighter and the colors will be a little bit better. Both have nice pictures. It's like anything, you pay a lot more for a little bit better picture. The good old point of diminishing returns. When it comes to a 77", Sony only offers the XR77A80J. I sell them and have them in stock. Sony locks the prices on these sets so if you see it for less than $3098.00 that dealer is probably not an authorized Sony dealer. If you are seeing that set at an authorized Sony dealer, it will sell for that $3098.00 price because there is currently a manufacturers instant rebate which is how that tv goes from $3498.00 down to $3098.00. That instant rebate expires on 10/10/2021, after 10/10 it goes back up to $3498.00. We would ship it to you at no cost. I work for Abt Electronics which is Sony's highest volume retail store in the country out of a single location. Abt has been rated the #1 rated retail store in the country for the last 11 years in a row in a national famous magazine. The initials of that magazine are CR. We're not supposed to say which magazine. PM me, you'll be happy you did. Here is my stores website www.abt.com We've been in business since 1936. Family owned and operated. Thank you.

Best regards
Scot Hurwitz

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
I do not see the fascination with brightness. I have a Sony A8F and it is plenty bright. I have the brightness turned way down. I was recently to the cinema and the picture on the A8F blows away the cinema and its a three year old OLED. I cannot see how it can get much better. I am not sure the prices these days are justified. To me, it looks like the same TV. Maybe there are improvements in motion but I gotta say after going to the theatre and seeing the mess stuttering looked like on the big screen, the A8F trounces it already so any improvements I am not sure. 24P is 24P.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Our 45", 55" and 65" A90Js are getting installed today. Even without power they look gorgeous!

Reactions: ICUToo

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Ron

Congratulations. You definitely bought the right sets (imho). The pictures will be stunning. Enjoy them. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much, Scot!

I very much appreciated your suggestion, but it was just easier to keep the remote control system installer responsible for every aspect of the process.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Ron

I completely understand. As I said, I didn’t want to step on anyone’s toes. If I can help you in any way in the future, please reach out. Have a very nice Thanksgiving. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing