Lindemann Limetree Bridge

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
I have just received the Limetree Bridge through the post. The box it was delivered in was pretty small but turned out to be capable of holding 36 of these components as the Bridge itself is tiny. It is supplied with a fancy looking LAN cable which is a long flat strip of plastic and a power supply which looks cheap but the instructions state that it is "medical grade". It also comes with a wifi antenna which I have not connected. Setting up is a doddle: plug in ethernet socket, the power cable, download the app, put in the Tidal username an it's playing music. I also have connected a hard disc which has a few hi-res music files on it via the USB connection.
I have a Chord Qutest DAC and the only possible connection to this from the Bridge is a Toslink cable. I had a Wireworld Supernova 7 from my previous streamer which is rated up to 192kHz. The specs for the Bridge state that the Toslink output only delivers up to 96kHz so this cable should more than capable.
I am running the app on my android phone which was never ideal with my previous streamer (I must get a tablet) and continues to be a pain in the rear end. I will not comment on the ease of use of the app until I get a tablet but it isn't a joy to use on the phone. The main issue though is that it keeps disconnecting. The first time I used it this was happening every few minutes. I have the Bridge plugged into one of those internet extenders that goes through the mains wires and also my phone was using the wifi from this too. Changing my phone's wifi to the main house router seems though to have solved this problem, so far.
After I had ordered the Bridge I spent a couple of evenings listening to the sound of my old streamer (a BS Node 2) and comparing it to my CD player (Linn Genki) both of which were going into the Qutest, and my record player (LP 12). The CD player sounded my more solid and life-like than the streamer and both were blown away by the record player (if the records were good enough, which is another story entirely).
My initial impressions of the Bridge was that the emptiness of the sound from the streamer had gone. I am only playing tracks at CD quality through Tidal but the there is an immediacy to the music that wasn't there before. The bridge definitely sounds more "hi-fi" than the Node ever did. After a few hours of being plugged in it really began to shine. Before I would rather opt to listen to a track if I had a CD copy of it; now I won't bother. There is an option to attach a computer CD drive to the Bridge (apparently these can be bought for £100 or so) and this might mean that I can lose my CD player and free up a bit of space...
According to the manual the Toslink ouput is supposed to only go up to 96kHz but my DAC is showing that the Bridge is playing at 176.4kHz and could even transmit 192kHz, though at this higher frequency the music would crackle if the Toslink was not physically supported behind the Bridge and was pretty temperamental.
In short, I am very happy with this piece of kit hopefully will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

• 20200516_104620.jpg
    20200516_104620.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: audio.bill

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Danny. I'm glad my unofficial advice has checked out. For me I may conclude that Roon Endpoint is critical. But if I don't, then options like this Lndemann Limetree Bridge and Stack Audio The Link become tenable. Like you, my tt designer is using the Limetree on Qutest, and he loves it.

Danny2dinners

May 12, 2020
East Midlands UK
Thanks SOM,
I wouldn't have looked at this product if you hadn't drawn my attention to it and probably ended up with something that was twice the price. Also it does make the light on the top of the qutest change to colours that I've not seen it display before so I'm more than happy!
My stereo is pretty old. The speakers were made in 1972 and the amps and CD player are at least 20 years old but my new digital gear makes it sound bang up to date. Another upgrade path taken as far as I want to go.
My speakers are on the original wooden stands. I wonder what I could do with those...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Glad to help Danny. Of course, anyone taking advice from me on streaming does need a certain level of bravery.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You mean drinking? Or staying w the Limetree?
If I forsake Roon Endpoint, then this unit or the Stack Link is my likely choice, £2k max w MHDT Orchid tubed dac.
But since streaming is as much about finding the music as much as playing it, Roon may be undeniable pushing me to Innuos Zen or Zenith.

LeBlanc

Aug 14, 2019
The Netherlands
You mean drinking? Or staying w the Limetree?
If I forsake Roon Endpoint, then this unit or the Stack Link is my likely choice, £2k max w MHDT Orchid tubed dac.
But since streaming is as much about finding the music as much as playing it, Roon may be undeniable pushing me to Innuos Zen or Zenith.
The Limetree can be used as a Roon endpoint.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Here's one of my fave bits about streaming. Not.
Roon Ready
Roon Core
Roon Endpoint
So, help me out here.

LeBlanc

Aug 14, 2019
The Netherlands
Here's one of my fave bits about streaming. Not.
Roon Ready
Roon Core
Roon Endpoint
So, help me out here.
Only Roon Core can be used as a stand alone device. Roon Ready and Roon Endpoint are similar and require a server running Roon Core elsewhere in the network. This server can be any PC, NAS or laptop meeting the Roon hardware requirements, a generic NUC, a Roon Nucleus or a dedicated high end hifi server. Hope this helps.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks LeBlanc, duly noted. I personally may stretch to Innuos...that extra level of SQ, and Roon Core. Hoping to hear Danny's very setup of Limetree and Qutest in a system I know v well, Covid permitting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing