Lindsey Buckingham's New Self-Titled Album Lindsey Buckingham

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I actually like a couple of the songs on Lindsey Buckingham's new self-titled album.

Unimaginatively, I tend to like songs with a strong, driving 1980s-style background beat. I think some of these new songs do indeed have a Fleetwood Mac style sound to them.

But I feel like the vocal track is a little bit lost in the mix. I also think his voice sounds strange and kind of synthesized.

Have you heard anything on this new album?

What do you think of the songs?

Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Listening now...feels a bit restrained and the vocals (both lead and backing) sound too "whispery" and with a narrow octave bandwidth, which lacks impact. I'm missing the textural contrasts that helped define Fleetwood Mac's 70s sound, particularly the vocal range and impact that Christine McVie supplied wonderfully. This recording just feels a bit flat to me. I think the best attributes of the album is that it sounds familiar enough to make you think of Fleetwood Mac in their heyday and smile.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Listening now...feels a bit restrained and the vocals (both lead and backing) sound too "whispery" and with a narrow octave bandwidth, which lacks impact. I'm missing the textural contrasts that helped define Fleetwood Mac's 70s sound, particularly the vocal range and impact that Christine McVie supplied wonderfully. This recording just feels a bit flat to me. I think the best attributes of the album is that it sounds familiar enough to make you think of Fleetwood Mac in their heyday and smile.

I agree on each and every one of your points.

The vocal you describe as "whispery" and narrow in bandwidth I described as recessed, strange and synthesized.

Did something unfortunate happen to Lindsey's voice during the last few years? It is almost like the engineers tried to acoustically "Photoshop" his voice on this album.

Last edited:

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Did something unfortunate happen to Lindsey's voice during the last few years? It is almost like the engineers tried to acoustically "Photoshop" his voice on this album.
I suspect the "unfortunate" event was probably age - he's nearly 72. It wouldn't be normal for him to sing like he did 40+ years ago.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Lindsey had open heart surgery in February 2019 and his vocal cords were damaged from a breathing tube. It took him a year and a half to get his voice back so that along with his age may be what you are hearing. I love Lindsey's solo work so I just go along with his progressions.
The last song, Dancing , is sung very well ! overall I think he’s done remarkably well considering , and is a good upbeat album in todays scenario that we all are facing , It makes my feet tap!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I believe there was serious concern whether he would be able to sing again so it is good to hear he has been in the studio doing what he does best.. Thanks for the heads up Ron..

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
From the cradle was my favorite, if there’s more of that flavor and quality(or better) I would be interested.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing