Line preamp advice for Herron VTPH-2A

ctor

Feb 25, 2021
I put my system back together after years of not being able to use my mancave. My old preamp failed, and my old amp failed, so I picked up a PS Audio S300 amp and got a great deal on a demo Emotiva XSP-1 gen 2 as a stopgap.

A few months ago, I bought the Herron, which made a significant improvement over the stock phono stage in the XSP-1. Now I'm ready to start shopping for a preamp that will do it justice.

Which is why I found my way here. I have a budget of around $3k. I could possibly go higher, but would need to save up a bit more. I have no real preference between tube and SS, and would buy new, demo, or a recent model used.

So, if anyone has experience with the Herron phono preamp, and can make a suggestion of what would work well with it, or even a suggestion for a neutral preamp, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

me

gryphongryph

Oct 12, 2017
If you want something really special and good sounding, take a look at Supratek pre’s they start at $2000 I just got a Cabernet and it sound spectacular.
One needs to be patient and they are hand built in Australia, but these are amps you keep for life.
Happy hunting.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Consider the Benchmark LA4 preamp. You can include a headphone preamp as the HA-4. Good company.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
MP-3 would be a suggestion, They can also come with built in Phono Stages.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Atma-Sphere MP-3 would be a very good choice. Excellent Warranty and support too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing