Linear Power Supplies...much difference between them?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Planning a little spend for early 2021. I've just installed a SOTA tt motor/speed controller to replace my stock motor, and it's fast becoming a massive boost to my LP enjoyment.

It runs on a crappy 24V DC wall wart SMPS, and I know from personal experience how much my stock motor, and Soundsmith Straingauge cart energiser benefitted from LPS upgrades.

I managed to secure my previous LPSs at beta testing prices, a new one from the same source would be quite a bit pricier than alternatives from Farad, SBooster, Plixir, Paul Hynes, Longdog Audio/MRCU etc, so decisions to be made.

My current LPSs apparently utilise medical grade R-core transformers, and massive oversized chokes, plus other high quality gubbins.

So, a few Qs...
First, do these brands all sound different, or do they converge more than they diverge?
Is the quality/choice of components used very different, designs very different?
Can anything justify price of LPS multiples more than the competition?

Answers to any other Qs that I haven't posed would be great as well

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I am in the position to assure you that a quality power supply for the tt’s motor is making a dramatic improvement.
It was hard for me to understand the reason but I heard the improvement the moment that I replaced Phoenix Engineering‘s supplied switching power supply with the Keces P8, the moment that I replaced Brinkmann’s power supply with RONT and these days experimenting with Derenville motor.
Always (at my case) the linear power supply proved to be a major sound upgrade.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Vienna, no argument from me. I'm curious as if the range of LPSs in the industry sound very different from each other. The LPS that I had been using on my stock tt motor is 3x cost of Farad or Keces. The pitch is utilising special transformer and oversize chokes...and it sounds very special on that motor and Straingauge.

The Q is whether the more commercially available, and cheaper, Farad Kecces Plixir SBooster PHynes etc, are a level down.

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
By ‘level down’ do you refer to their price or to their sound quality? if you are referring to the price level, then I would tell you that the power supplies that you have been using were three times more expensive but your SOTA and stock motor are three levels down comparing to Brinkmann and Derenville.

So a good LPS must be combined with a quality motor to make sense

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Vienna, that's very true. Unless I go Derenville, the SOTA motor is my likely final destination. Since I can't audition these LPSs, but know how good my current custom order LPS is on my Straingauge energiser, I'm just trying to view the lay of the land.

Most LPSs are in the £500-700 range, plus cost of DC cbl. Incl your Keces P8 and Farad.
A couple are £1200-1500 plus DC cbl.
My custom order one is £2500 incl DC cbl

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Vienna, that's very true. Unless I go Derenville, the SOTA motor is my likely final destination. Since I can't audition these LPSs, but know how good my current custom order LPS is on my Straingauge energiser, I'm just trying to view the lay of the land.

Most LPSs are in the £500-700 range, plus cost of DC cbl. Incl your Keces P8 and Farad.
A couple are £1200-1500 plus DC cbl.
My custom order one is £2500 incl DC cbl
Marc maybe your old one can be reconfigured for use with your current setup ?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Not sure Milan, 21V versus 24V for the SOTA.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
As you will probably never get around to selling the old one anyway , you should ask the manufacturer, it could be a inexpensive process off moving connection points on a transformer :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, the manufacturer is the guy pitching the new one to me. Beta price then, full price now.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Haha, the manufacturer is the guy pitching the new one to me. Beta price then, full price now.
If he is not willing to modify a specially made product for an existing customer, he is not worth dealing with anyway, that is just bad service. I'm assuming he is a little guy, not a major company.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
By ‘level down’ do you refer to their price or to their sound quality? if you are referring to the price level, then I would tell you that the power supplies that you have been using were three times more expensive but your SOTA and stock motor are three levels down comparing to Brinkmann and Derenville.

So a good LPS must be combined with a quality motor to make sense
In all fairness Savvas, you never tried the SOTA motor on your Brinkmann ! ;)

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Most linear supplies use adjustable regulators or resistors to raise V+ above ground to meet an output requirement. I bet it could be adjusted to 24v as I bet the headroom of the transformer is there. FWIW.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Most linear supplies use adjustable regulators or resistors to raise V+ above ground to meet an output requirement. I bet it could be adjusted to 24v as I bet the headroom of the transformer is there
Completely agree. 24v if well designed and built, should not be a problem. If it is not, stay away as it is bouncing at the top at 21v.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can approach a couple of guys to help with this. Tbh these LPSs have worked a treat on my old motor and Straingauge energiser, seems pointless not to be able to adapt one for my new motor.

Despite that, I'm still intrigued if there is a major SQ difference between the half dozen or so LPSs that I could also choose from.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I can approach a couple of guys to help with this. Tbh these LPSs have worked a treat on my old motor and Straingauge energiser, seems pointless not to be able to adapt one for my new motor.

Despite that, I'm still intrigued if there is a major SQ difference between the half dozen or so LPSs that I could also choose from.
As usual you just insist on spending more money Marc, you are a true audiophile ! ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You've just found my epitaph. But don't choose my gravestone just yet. I have a little more spending left to do.

Reactions: Mikem53 and Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)
Many people will tell you that if there are major SQ differences between LPSs power supplies it means the controller is poorly designed ...

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Many people will tell you that if there are major SQ differences between LPSs power supplies it means the controller is poorly designed ...
As most controllers create the power used to drive the motor i have to agree. The improvement you are hearing is probably because the SMPS is not polluting your power line :rolleyes:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
In all fairness Savvas, you never tried the SOTA motor on your Brinkmann ! ;)
This is true my friend. I tried hard with both SOTA and Bill to have a custom made pod (in terms of height) to fit to my BB but didn’t manage to get one. I could only get the production one, which was very tall in comparison.

Reactions: Lagonda

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
I am in the position to assure you that a quality power supply for the tt’s motor is making a dramatic improvement.
It was hard for me to understand the reason but I heard the improvement the moment that I replaced Phoenix Engineering‘s supplied switching power supply with the Keces P8, the moment that I replaced Brinkmann’s power supply with RONT and these days experimenting with Derenville motor.
Always (at my case) the linear power supply proved to be a major sound upgrade.
What voltage and amp specs did you get for your Keces P8 that replaced the Phoenix power supply?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing